Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New student centre

• 09-12-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people are busy with exam but I was reading through reports of UL new development here

I found it interesting to note that the new student centre, that we voted against, was included in the plan. What strings did the SU pull to get the plan on the EIB loan scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ricimaki

http://ul.ie/news-centre/features/ul-capital-development-plan-2014-2018/

Given that it was something like 66% of all votes were in favour, and the main reason people were opposing was the increase in the student levy, if it can be gotten with other developments, and without an increase in the levy, then why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ricimaki wrote: »
    http://ul.ie/news-centre/features/ul-capital-development-plan-2014-2018/

Given that it was something like 66% of all votes were in favour, and the main reason people were opposing was the increase in the student levy, if it can be gotten with other developments, and without an increase in the levy, then why not?

I'm just wondering how it when from being partially student funded to EIB funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ricimaki

This project will be financed on a partnership
    basis between the students, private donors and
    the University.
    This is from the pdf in the above link, page 13.

It might still be funded by the students, actually.

That's interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

What's actually planned at this point in time is that a referendum is to be held in February 2014 on the following:

Reinstating the student levy to fund the following projects:
    1. Rennovation of Maguire's Pitches to such a standard that they are playable year-round.
    A cheaper option has been identified based on further examination of the site.

2. Extension of the Arena.
    With Munster Rugby now becoming part of this project (and bringing their own funding to the table) the scope of this project has changed a lot since the last referendum. Cost is up in the air last I heard.

3. Appointment of a consultant to investigate the Student Centre project.
    The student centre proposal voted on last time around dated back to 2009. The new proposal is to engage a consultant to look at the project from the start and determine if the development is actually wanted/needed at this time, and if so, in what form? It will involve spending some money: how much doesn't appear to be known right now. If it transpires that there is some desire for a new student centre, this will eventually be followed up by a referendum to secure funding for the centre.

The Students' Union has set up a steering committee to oversee the run-up to the referendum on behalf of the students. 4 members sit on it from the Student Council and 4 from the Clubs' and Societies' Council. A further 5 members represent the sabbatical officers and staff of the union. The committee's main role is to canvass stakeholders in the run-up and see what students actually want from all this.

Funding is to be divided: half from students and the remainder from the University, either through philanthropic funding or the EIB money. It's not clear how Munster Rugby's contribution will figure in the Arena, but the SU have been asked to clarify this with UL. The suggestion at the meeting about this a few weeks ago is that the split between SU and UL occurs after Munster's contribution has been thrown into the pot.

This information comes from C&S Council (and my occasionally flaky memory of it ;) ). Similar information should be trickling down to students through the Student Council. If it's not, pester your class reps - this is part of their remit. Or call in to Liz Gabbett in the SU. If you're in a club or society, contact your committee about it, or Paul and Michelle will be happy to discuss it if you call in to the C&S office.

Personally, I reckon the student centre is going to get a lot of support from C&S, societies in particular. The Arena and Maguire's projects will help a lot of clubs but will have limited impact on societies so those guys will be looking to get something back.

A strong C&S backing will get a referendum passed: this was rather lacking last time around, but those lessons have been learned. The Boathouse referendum in 2003 brought out ~3000 students to vote and passed about 10 to 1, mostly due to C&S support.

If the non-C&S students think all this is bad, then they need to get informed and then talk to their representatives about it.

• Advertisement

The last one had a major backing from C&S and was just shy of the super majority needed. Any word on how much it would cost per student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

There was support at high level within the C&S structure, but I don't think it filtered down effectively enough through the committees to members. A lot of the misinformation floating around took hold as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Unlike the boathouse which required a contribution from all students for the benefit of ~1% of the student population, proposals such as the new student centre should benefit all/most students. Although I'm still not happy with how last year's proposals were advertised as an increase to the existing €72 levy rather than a a completely new payment as the €72 contribution is now gone, I would still be happy to see the projects go ahead. A great student centre would go a long way to encouraging prospective to choose UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Unlike the boathouse which required a contribution from all students for the benefit of ~1% of the student population, proposals such as the new student centre should benefit all/most students. Although I'm still not happy with how last year's proposals were advertised as an increase to the existing €72 levy rather than a a completely new payment as the €72 contribution is now gone, I would still be happy to see the projects go ahead. A great student centre would go a long way to encouraging prospective to choose UL.

Ah but the Boathouse, which I have used on occasion, went up for a vote and got the required percentage supporting it - the Student Centre did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If the non-C&S students think all this is bad, then they need to get informed and then talk to their representatives about it.
    The last one had a major backing from C&S

The last time this referendum was up, C&S made a complete balls of the campaign, a vague "Vote Yes!" message, with no actual explanation as to what is being voted on for anyone not clued in, and a fairly biased projection overall, and advertised far too late, think it was just a little over a week to the actual vote if I remember. A load of students on campus weren't even aware there was a referendum taking place...

• Advertisement
Advertisement