Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zojirushi travel mug.

• 09-12-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

OK, this is a bit of a stretch.

SM-KHE-DESK.jpg

First off, if you don't know about these, they are widely considered to be the best travel mug around in terms of thermal performance and design. Zojirushi are a kitchenware company from Japan but don't seem to be widely distributed in Europe.

Here are some reviews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0aq0q6j_8 quote: "This is the space shuttle of travel mugs"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzDYD8xoIVE
    http://www.tested.com/food/458501-best-travel-mug-today/

So, I'd like to know if anyone has one and where they got theirs from? A local supplier would be great, because I could see myself buying these as gifts for plenty of my coffee enthusiast friends.

I've suggested to Coffee Angel and 3FE that they stock them since they already seem to import quite a bit of equipment from Japan, but there hasn't been any movement on that yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Interesting. Now that I have seen it I want one:D

Amazon.com sell them ... might be as cheap a seller as you'll find. Gonna put a price watch on it for now with camelcamelcamel - has been as low as $25.45 in the past:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-KHE48AG-Stainless-Steel-16-Ounce/dp/B005PO9T44/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭charlesodowd

Hi, were you able to source this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Nope, besides importing one from the USA/Japan which I haven't sunk to yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last time I was in the US, I picked up a Stanley Vacuum mug (16oz/473 mL). Seems to have the very same properties as those described in the Zojirushi review (fully stainless steel, no spill/drip, dishwasher safe and lid disassembles for cleaning, keeps hot drinks hot for 6 hours, and cold drinks cold for 24 hours). I've been using it daily for hot and cold drinks and it has been faultless. Might be an alternative if you cannot find a European-based distributor for the Japanese product.

As per the Zojirushi review, you really need to put your coffee into this mug at desired drinking temperature (rather than straight from your coffee maker), as otherwise you'll have a long, long wait before you can drink it without burning yourself.
    img59279663.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Brian,

Not too sure if this helps. I have a Thermos travel mug which is similiar to the one you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DGJLXE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if you can't get the one you're looking for, I'd recommend this one. In addition to the Thermos, I also have a contigo one, which I'd also recommend. The Thermos one does keep drinks hot for quite a bit longer than the Contigo.

Conor.

• Advertisement

Interesting Conor, looks like there might have been a bit of "inspired by.." design going on there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Was talking to a Japanese friend who bought a Zojirushi rice maker from a Zojirushi distributor in England. I will check and get back to you with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Brian wrote: »
    Interesting Conor, looks like there might have been a bit of "inspired by.." design going on there!

Absolutely Brian. If you look at the Amazon link Donnacha posted, some of the Amazon reviews to a comparision to both the Thermos and Contigo models.

Anyway, if you're stuck I'd recommend the Thermos one. It keeps tea/coffee warm for hours. I've just finished a filter coffee poured before I left the house this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Is this the one? It's on amazon uk but people are being stung for duty as it comes from Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOJIRUSHI-Stainless-steel-480ml-Cocoa/dp/B00B1KVCEQ/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, that's what I'd hope to avoid. Seems to be about €40 all-in which I wouldn't mind paying if it weren't for the month-long wait to receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At least one Dublin coffee shop is importing grinders and brewing equipment from Japan.
    Might be worth inquiring whether they can source these.

At least one Dublin coffee shop is importing grinders and brewing equipment from Japan.
    Might be worth inquiring whether they can source these.

See last sentence of the first post. Cheers for the interest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I will resurrect this thread. Ive had one of these for a year now and you can buy them easily from Amazon UK. Fantastic mug, use it every day and its so good at keeping in the heat that I actually leave it open for a while so it cools down because its impossible to drink within a couple of hours its so hot.

You can buy them from Coffee Angel now, albeit with unattractive branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Brian wrote: »
    You can buy them from Coffee Angel now, albeit with unattractive branding.
    I don't think so! They phased them out. I tried to get one but they said they weren't doing them any more, just the KeepCups now.

what about this one? anybody tried it?
    great ratings (plenty of verified purchases) and less than half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071469TMF/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NZ1WOEP5JFSF&colid=1JBYBR8S1PZH2&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

glasso wrote: »
    what about this one? anybody tried it?
    great ratings (plenty of verified purchases) and less than half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071469TMF/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NZ1WOEP5JFSF&colid=1JBYBR8S1PZH2&psc=1

Looks like a copy of the Japanese one.
    I have two zojirushi model numbers-SM-KHE48-AG
    Got them from Amazon uk, though I think they came from Japan but there was no extra duty. Coffee angel had a smaller model in the past but the model they had in stock held less liquid that the one I bought from Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just picked up one of these babies - a 600ml version weighing 235g. The big essential for me was something leakproof and light, and after trying it out once it seems to cover both very well. Thanks to all who recommended it - pricey but better than going through 2 or 3 cheaper ones I'm sure!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They're class. Have had one for a while now. Unreal heat retention. Purchased from Amazon, pricey but money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm on my second one. Gets used everyday for my chemex brew.

Made the error when cleaning the first one with cafiza of not removing the plastic and rubber seals ... You've been warned :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can buy stuff directly from Japan very easily using buyee.jp buying service, including from Yahoo auctions.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can buy stuff directly from Japan very easily using buyee.jp buying service, including from Yahoo auctions.

Amazon UK have them - got a 600ml one for £25 delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Amazon UK have them - got a 600ml one for £25 delivered

I have one. Keeps a cup of coffee piping hot all day.
    Best cup I've ever had.

I have one. Keeps a cup of coffee piping hot all day.
    Best cup I've ever had.

Was reminded of this to my cost today when using it - burnt my tongue :(:(

Advertisement