Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball park figure for extension

Options
  • 09-12-2013 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for someone to give me a rough idea on the cost for the following,

20 sq mt extension to the gable end of my house.
    Single story extension which will have the following:
    An occupational therapy room ( bascially a play room)
    A new bathroom with a shower
    A utility room just off the current kitchen.
    Basic builders finish will do just fine.

I have a large side entrance so access shouldn't be a problem. No drains or anything located to the side either.

I am waiting until after the Christmas until I get drawings and plans from a pro so I'm just looking for a ball park figure out of interest.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hello,

Looking for someone to give me a rough idea on the cost for the following,

20 sq mt extension to the gable end of my house.
    Single story extension which will have the following:
    An occupational therapy room ( bascially a play room)
    A new bathroom with a shower
    A utility room just off the current kitchen.
    Basic builders finish will do just fine.

I have a large side entrance so access shouldn't be a problem. No drains or anything located to the side either.

I am waiting until after the Christmas until I get drawings and plans from a pro so I'm just looking for a ball park figure out of interest.

Thanks,

Planning required. Are you using a full blown architect or technician?
    Where are you based?

I would say 30k total allowing for :

Planning fees and preparation
    Construction costs
    Professional fees allowing for the new building control regs in March 2014 as you will be building after that. Supervision and certification of the finished works.

I'd be working with that as a preliminary budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

kceire wrote: »
    Planning required. Are you using a full blown architect or technician?
    Where are you based?

Construction costs
    Professional fees allowing for the new building control regs in March 2014 as you will be building after that. Supervision and certification of the finished works.

I'd be working with that as a preliminary budget.

I'd be using just a tech. It's a simple enough build with no mad glass features (just basic windows) or fancy architectural designs.I'm in North Kildare.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

kceire wrote: »
    Construction costs
    Professional fees

that is a tight budget allowing for the above when VAT is also a consideration. Given it is a standalone extension with its own foundation and roof it will be tight to the construction costs alone done for the above but it comes down to your specification and finishes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a full blown architect
    just a tech

ah lads :(:(:(:(

do you not think both professions are equally capable of carrying out whatever services are required? and do you no think the cost of both services should be comparable too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thanks for the info people.

I know that price are really done by area but it's a loose rule. I'm looking at 1500 per sq metre? As I said it'd be a basic builders finish.

One more idea I have. Does extensding out the back work out cheaper?

If I went out the back I'd be into the area of moving boiler,drains and shores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ah lads :(:(:(:(

do you not think both professions are equally capable of carrying out whatever services are required? and do you no think the cost of both services should be comparable too?

Sorry, no offence intended :(

If the Tech can inspect and certify the works on completeion, then yes, in my opinion prices should be the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As the extension is 20 sq m, there would be no restriction to Arch Tech signing off extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marian1

Hello
    I am also looking to renovate and extend an old house. I have absolutely no previous experience in extensions or building works. So some guidance on costing would be great...... I have a 2 storey terraced house that needs complete renovation new bathroom, floors, insulation and knocking and rebuilding of a new kitchen and possible small extension? I will be looking for finances to enable me to do this so need to know how much it might be before i starting applying for loans.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Marian1 wrote: »
    Hello
    I am also looking to renovate and extend an old house. I have absolutely no previous experience in extensions or building works. So some guidance on costing would be great...... I have a 2 storey terraced house that needs complete renovation new bathroom, floors, insulation and knocking and rebuilding of a new kitchen and possible small extension? I will be looking for finances to enable me to do this so need to know how much it might be before i starting applying for loans.
    Thanks

Marian, you haven't even given an area or age of the house? I'd suggest you seek a local arch tech to provide an outline specification that can then be given to a Qs to provide price, you then go back to the bank and from there seek builders quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

BryanF wrote: »
    Marian, you haven't even given an area or age of the house? I'd suggest you seek a local arch tech to provide an outline specification that can then be given to a Qs to provide price, you then go back to the bank and from there seek builders quotes
    Sorry if I appear a little ignorant re the process but "arch tech" I assume is architects technician and qs is quantity surveyor. Are these Inot similar and why do you need both (and obviously the shilins for both)? Is an arch tech basically a less qualified and thus cheaper architect?

• Advertisement

I'd suggest you seek a local arch tech to provide an outline specification that can then be given to a Qs to provide price, you then go back to the bank and from there seek builders quotes
    1. Are these not similar and why do you need both (and obviously the shilins for both)?
    2. Is an arch tech basically a less qualified and thus cheaper architect?

1. an arch or AT does the design & construction package - the QS costs it (or you go straight to several builders, but from experience lately the banks are becoming funny about this)
    2. an arch tech not less qualified - its a different qualification that leans on construction detailing & building regs more so than design. not necessarily cheaper either just perhaps more suited to a retro-fit/extension

The house is in the munster area, it is probably nearly 60 years old.
    I have had an engineer come out to see it and he quoted me 1800 euro for drawing of plans and specifications for my renovation work. Does this sound right or is there cheaper out there?

Thanks for your help.

The house is in the munster area, it is probably nearly 60 years old.
    I have had an engineer come out to see it and he quoted me 1800 euro for drawing of plans and specifications for my renovation work. Does this sound right or is there cheaper out there?

Thanks for your help.

Maria again its difficult given the lack of info.
    But IMHO potentially very cheap given the hassle this type of work can't be. Is the eng supervising construction and signing of?

Maria again its difficult given the lack of info.
    But IMHO potentially very cheap given the hassle this type of work can't be. Is the eng supervising construction and signing of?

Please can you tell me what Information you need than??
    No the engineer was just hired to check walls and stability of the house and to do plans.

Please can you tell me what Information you need than??
    No the engineer was just hired to check walls and stability of the house and to do plans.

Go and get 3 quotes

Thanks!

Advertisement