Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should clubs be required to clean up outside after their customers?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Walking by a club like Howl At The Moon the morning after, you often see a lot of mess on the footpaths within sight of the club. This includes broken glass, vomit and the smell of urine. I'm sure you've seen the same. It seems they clean up the area right outside their own front doors, but the rest is left up to the city (or the rain) to deal with much later.

Has there been any push in the past to require clubs to keep the neighborhood clean? While most clubs are not in residential areas, there are people living nearby as well as tourists who walk by and have to really watch where they step. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Should fast food places clean up outside their shops?
    Should shops clean up outside their premises?
    Should the GAA clean up outside Croker, etc...?
    Should the FAI clean up outside Lansdowne, etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Well obviously my answer is yes, since I am the OP :) But only in extreme circumstances is my point.

For example if your nearest McDonalds had dozens of fast food wrappers, spilled shakes and half eaten fries all over the footpath on a regular basis, don't you think there deserves to be some kind of fine for the business? Or at least a cleanup tax for these types of businesses that cost the public money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What's the boundary that a club should clean up around? If a club is on a heavily trafficked road, why should they clean a lane 20 metres from their premises that punters just passing by might make a mess of?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

The answer to all of the above is, obviously, yes. None of the above are operating out of the goodness of their hearts, are they? They are all attempting to make a profit and the clean up operation should be paid for out of those profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Are these premises not paying absolutely colossal rates for DCC and the like to employ cleaners to work lovely daytime hours in which to clean the streets inconveniencing everyone and leaving the city an eyesore for far longer than's needed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

No, its the customers making the mess. Fine the customers is the only way. Not saying that would be an easy task though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

enda1 wrote: »
    Are these premises not paying absolutely colossal rates for DCC and the like to employ cleaners to work lovely daytime hours in which to clean the streets inconveniencing everyone and leaving the city an eyesore for far longer than's needed?
    Everyone would pay less if we didn't have to employ so many street cleaners!

Street cleaners that typically start work at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

A lot of the street spray washing machines i'd see around the quays area are finished by 01:30, long before any mess from vomit or urine etc is produced. It would make more sense, as Victor said, for them to start at 04:00 or 05:00 am, and not midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I run a pub and im required to clean outside my premises a few times a day or else DCC come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

animals eating in the street, ****ting in the street, their rubbish must be cleaned up at the cost to the animal license holders.

give the streets back to the people. Clean it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

In my opinion, yes.

I live beside Lansdowne Road and someone comes around and cleans up all the crap people throw on the streets after events there, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Any decent business is going to keep "their" area clean as its in their best interest but businesses can't be expected to keep the whole city clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Santa's elves in his Irish shopping mall grottoes in my book are responsible in this context for keeping the grotto area clean, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I'm glad to see mostly agreement to the "clean it up" proposition. I realize it will be difficult to change, but like mentioned above at least the street cleaning machines could come through at sunrise so the footpaths are fresh for the new day. And clubs can be proactive by posting signs (yeah I know that won't do much) and having bouncers prevent customers from carrying glass bottles outside is one small step. And requiring more toilets (per person) inside would probably be a smart move!

Advertisement