Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has replaced Hildegarde?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

The fragant one has departed, for the Seanad, I add hesitantly.
    Who has replaced her?
    Given the local elections are only six months away, why has someone not been co-opted yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Michelle Murphy co-opted today ...

https://twitter.com/ctribune/status/410079329365008384

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

According to the advertiser Facebook Michelle Murphy from Corrofin has bbeen given her seat about an hour ago

snubbleste wrote: »
    The fragant one has departed, for the Seanad, I add hesitantly.
    Who has replaced her?
    Given the local elections are only six months away, why has someone not been co-opted yet?

A Michelle Murphy from Corofin has been co-opted according to the wireless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh?
    How convenient. I saw John Mullholland out and about recently which is what prompted me to start the thread. Maybe I ought to have searched for news first.
    Never heard of her.
    Does she live in town, Galway city west at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Corofin. That's out near Shantalla, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I heard her on the radio today. She's from Corofin which isn't even close to the city.

There's a also FF candidate who lives in Barna but will represent the Roscam area. I can't recall his name but seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I expect some of their policy preferences will reflect their residential location.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Surely the fact that the main political parties can't find candidates in the area they are supposed to represent is a huge sign that there shouldn't be both a city and county council.

The sooner they are amalgamated the better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Oh?
    How convenient. I saw John Mullholland out and about recently which is what prompted me to start the thread. Maybe I ought to have searched for news first.
    Never heard of her.
    Does she live in town, Galway city west at that?

She worked in the city for years, her latest job is with a recruitment company in Briarhill. She was also a member of the Chamber of Commerce for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

A Michelle Murphy from Corofin has been co-opted according to the wireless.

Is that Corofin, Co Galway(23km) or Corofin Co Clare(58km)? (distance from City Hall,College Road)
    Do Cllr's get mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

so what? Ollie crowe lives in oranmore its no big deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

:eek:
    His address is:
    Crowes Bar,
    Bohermore,
    Galway
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/GalwayCityCentral/

unless they started doing b&b he does not actually live there.

It is for taxpayers if they are claiming mileage to go to City Hall meetings?

It is for taxpayers if they are claiming mileage to go to City Hall meetings?

all expenses are published. You can hardly be suggesting councillors must live within walking distance of city hall?

all expenses are published. You can hardly be suggesting councillors must live within walking distance of city hall?

But do they get paid mileage to go to and from meetings at City Hall?
    It is essentially about transparency.
    Also are the elctorate aware that they are electing Cllr'S who do not live in the Ward or the City Electoral area? Is the local politican actually based locally.

I would expect them to at least live (ideally) or work within the area that they are a representative for.

It sounds like Hillie's replacement does, though, from what Antobrien says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

But do they get paid mileage to go to and from meetings at City Hall?
    It is essentially about transparency.
    Also are the elctorate aware that they are electing Cllr'S who do not live in the Ward or the City Electoral area? Is the local politican actually based locally.

Do they get mileage just to go to work?

I suppose if push comes to shove I'd prefer Councillors to be resident in the general area of their ward.

In fact, it might be nice if the same could be said of the Council generally.

I would expect them to at least live (ideally) or work within the area that they are a representative for.

It sounds like Hillie's replacement does, though, from what Antobrien says.

Some more details than what I heard on the radio this morning:
    The mother of two and manager at Briarhill based recruitment agency Collins McNicholas has been officially co-opted to the city council.

Speaking in the chamber, Michelle says she has been embedded in the city for almost 20 years, having also spent a number of years on the chamber council, and in her work in the Galway business and professional women's club of which she is now PRO.

Agree but the Briarhill based recruitment agency Collins McNicholas is not in the West Ward?
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/GalwayCityWest/

It's actually barely in the East Ward looking at this map.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/TheFile,1910,en.pdf

Would have thought that Galway City West was a natural FG heartland?

• Advertisement

Would you not give the girl a chance and judge her on her actions and not her address.

Would you not give the girl woman a chance and judge her on her actions and not her address.
    Where is the ability of this Professional woman being questioned?

Where is the ability of this Professional woman being questioned?

you are giving out about her because she does not live within cycling distance of the council. I have pointed out Ollie crowe has lived in oranmore for the full term since he was elected to the council without any major issues. At least wait until she has a chance to do some work before you complain about her.

you are giving out about her because she does not live within cycling distance of the council. I have pointed out Ollie crowe has lived in oranmore for the full term since he was elected to the council without any major issues. At least wait until she has a chance to do some work before you complain about her.

Can you back that up with quotes?
    Have simply being pointing out that said local Cllr does not reside or work in the local ward. This is not complaining about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superhotarrows

She's from Kilkerrin originally, only living in Corofin!

She's from Kilkerrin originally, only living in Corofin!

And is that out by Knocknacarra somewhere????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Do they get mileage just to go to work?

I suppose if push comes to shove I'd prefer Councillors to be resident in the general area of their ward.

In fact, it might be nice if the same could be said of the Council generally.

Agreed. I have long held the view that city council employees, particularly management, who do not live in the city should be invited to find accomodation in town or find employment elsewhere.

Parachuting someone in from Corofin to represent a city ward feels to me like an abuse of the privilege of being able to co-opt a councillor.

But we'll have to see won't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superhotarrows

And is that out by Knocknacarra somewhere????
    Ya out past Rosmuc!!

Agreed. I have long held the view that city council employees, particularly management, who do not live in the city should be invited to find accomodation in town or find employment elsewhere.

Would you apply the same rule to the dail?

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Would you apply the same rule to the dail?

Well I would. Employees of the Daíl, and any other company for that matter, should ideally be living close-enough to where they work. Waste of petrol, otherwise.

Advertisement