Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre speed limit

Options
  • 09-12-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Tried calling 1901 to get this sorted but unfortunately couldn't.

I got eFibre installed last week and the engineer said that due to being so close to the cabinet and my line quality that i easily qualified for 70MB/s. I had originally ordered eFibre at 50MB/s and at the time i was under the impression that i had to pay extra for anything over 50MB. I told the engineer that i was ok with 50MB/s as i didn't want to pay extra.

It now seems that the offer has been changed, 70MB/s is no longer a higher price, but my line (although capable of more) has been pre-qual'ed at 50MB/s.

Is there anyway to get this restriction taken off my line? Does an engineer have to come out again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Here are the line stats directly from the modem showing attainable rate of 112Mbps but artificially limited to 50 down (emphasis mine):

============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   3 days: 5 hours: 31 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     15.417 Mbps       50.268 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     15.359 Mbps       50.170 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       15.1 dB           22.1 dB
                Actual Delay:          7 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:      - 4.0 dBm          14.5 dBm
               Receive Power:      -20.3 dBm          -1.6 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       16.3 dB           16.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     29.045 Mbps      112.880 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  3.9    21.9    32.0     N/A    12.2    28.2    43.1   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.9    21.0    31.0     N/A    14.2    28.0    43.1   
            SNR Margin(dB): 15.2    15.2    15.1     N/A    22.1    22.1    22.1   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-17.2   - 8.1   - 6.6     N/A    12.5     7.6     6.7   

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

TBi wrote: »
    Tried calling 1901 to get this sorted but unfortunately couldn't.

I got eFibre installed last week and the engineer said that due to being so close to the cabinet and my line quality that i easily qualified for 70MB/s. I had originally ordered eFibre at 50MB/s and at the time i was under the impression that i had to pay extra for anything over 50MB. I told the engineer that i was ok with 50MB/s as i didn't want to pay extra.

It now seems that the offer has been changed, 70MB/s is no longer a higher price, but my line (although capable of more) has been pre-qual'ed at 50MB/s.

Is there anyway to get this restriction taken off my line? Does an engineer have to come out again?

Hi TBi,

There is still a difference in prices with the 50mb and 70mb eFibre packages.

Would you like to PM me your account details and I'll check this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

I'm paying for the unlimited package which is 70MB/s. The difference at the time was unlimited 50MB/s vs unlimited 70MB/s, However the lower package was removed and replaced with 70MB/s.

I'll send phone number. The line is 'pre qual'd' at 50MB/s but the engineer said it was capable of more. 

I'm paying for the unlimited package which is 70MB/s. The difference at the time was unlimited 50MB/s vs unlimited 70MB/s, However the lower package was removed and replaced with 70MB/s.

I'll send phone number. The line is 'pre qual'd' at 50MB/s but the engineer said it was capable of more. 

Ok no problem.

Thanks for the details, Ill check this for you and come back to you.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭husky7

Just checked this on eircom website myself , im paying €55 a month for 50mb unlimited and anytime calls but according to the site i should be up to 70mb unlimited and anytime calls , can someone confirm this.

• Advertisement

husky7 wrote: »
    Just checked this on eircom website myself , im paying €55 a month for 50mb unlimited and anytime calls but according to the site i should be up to 70mb unlimited and anytime calls , can someone confirm this.

Hi husky7,

The prices are subject to change with all packages, on-line prices can differ to over the phone prices also. It would depend on when you signed up etc.
    The best channel to contact is our Fibre sales team on 1800 500 300, they'll be able to advise you of all packages and promotions.

Thanks

Tracey

Any update on my line?

Any update on my line?

Hi TBi,

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

Tracey

According to your PM my line is limited to 50MB/s. This is an eircom enforced limit. 

So the engineer who told me it could easily do 70MB/s (who was on site and tested it and said it was capable of 110MB/s) was lying?

That my modem which shows line stats, and corroborates what the engineer was saying, is also lying.

Can you please just de-restrict my line. If i am (and the engineer and the modem) correct then it will sync at 70/20MB/s with no issue.

If i am incorrect then it will sync at a lower speed but not at exactly 50MB/s which is exactly the limit that eircom enforce on slower lines.

How unlucky am i that my line can only do EXACTLY what eircom enforce as a limit on people who pay for slower connections...

Tried calling eircom a few times. The situation is so tragic it's almost funny.

Line is artificially limited to 50MB/s by eircom so whenever they check this is the max they get. Cue simple discussion that if line was limited by quality then it wouldn't always stop at the exact values, it would sync at different speeds each time. Cue reply that no no it syncs at the highest speed, which is (amazingly what a coincidence) exactly at the 50/14 speeds that eircom limit the lower connection to.

I've spent so long waiting for this (since it was announced in the area) while paying for crap service (1MB constantly dropping) that i'll just keep phoning and phoning until they send someone out.

• Advertisement

Tried calling eircom a few times. The situation is so tragic it's almost funny.

Line is artificially limited to 50MB/s by eircom so whenever they check this is the max they get. Cue simple discussion that if line was limited by quality then it wouldn't always stop at the exact values, it would sync at different speeds each time. Cue reply that no no it syncs at the highest speed, which is (amazingly what a coincidence) exactly at the 50/14 speeds that eircom limit the lower connection to.

I've spent so long waiting for this (since it was announced in the area) while paying for crap service (1MB constantly dropping) that i'll just keep phoning and phoning until they send someone out.

I'm sorry you feel like this TBi however there are limitations to all line due to different factors. I'm afraid you are receiving the maximum capability of your service and unfortunately it can't be increased. I have you a PM also.

Sorry for all inconvenience caused.

Tracey

Got this from a friend who has similar line specs to mine. He's running at 70/20 while i'm on 50/14. Definitely something wrong here.

Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B

VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a

Traffic Type:   PTM Mode

Link Uptime:   0 day: 2 hours: 8 minutes

VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream

Line Rate:     20.549 Mbps       71.812 Mbps

Actual Net Data Rate:     20.479 Mbps       71.672 Mbps

Trellis Coding:         ON                ON

SNR Margin:        9.2 dB           14.1 dB

Actual Delay:          4 ms              7 ms

Transmit Power:      -20.3 dBm          13.8 dBm

Receive Power:      -26.5 dBm           5.5 dBm

Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols

Total Attenuation:        6.3 dB            8.2 dB

Attainable Net Data Rate:     29.633 Mbps      113.948 Mbps

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]============================================================================[/font]

Advertisement