Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intro

• 09-12-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys!

I have always been aware of airsoft but never really appreciated how big it has become. Last week I was describing it to my daughter and she went nuts for the idea, so we had a look at a few sites and decided that it might be something we could do together. A few days later, we now are the proud owners of 2 G&G MP5s and I went nuts and bought an M14 EBR for the laugh! I can honestly say that we are both bitten by the bug in a big way.

I'm very impressed with the MP5s. Great little thing out of the box and so far, very accurate and a lot of fun apart from the original magazine not feeding BBs. The replacement works 100pc.

We got some Lidl snowboard helmets in black for €20 which really look the part for a CT setup and I'm working on comms to go in these as they have earcups for headphones.

First question. When I first fired the EBR at close to mid ranges it was bang on the money with the iron sights, 10 - 15 meters. Extending beyond this I noticed some serious climb from all of the shots at 30m, somewhere in the range of 24 to 36 inches. I know that the SG said that they replaced the hop-up with a softer one as the M14s are designed for up to 450 fps from the factory and the hop up is too hard for 1 joule guns. I dismantled the thing last night and apart from finding that almost every screw and bolt was really loose, it has a green hop up rubber, I assume it's G&G. The rise is happening with the hop up fully off. Even a small amount of hop up makes the problem much worse. I'm basically aiming at the ground to hit a torso at normal heights at 30m range.

All I have done so far is check that the hop up is seated correctly and reassemble everything to a reasonable level of tightness. It was too late to see if this had solved anything but the general feel of the gun was massively improved, no rattles or wobbles. Is the green hop up correct for 300 - 320 fps or am I just expecting too much from this AEG? I read that you should be able to get some reasonable consistency with an M14 at ranges up to 50m but I was expecting BB drop at longer ranges, not arcing upwards, especially with our lower fps limits. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Other than that, what a beast of a gun! I still have some work to do on it to bring it up to a better level of consistency at longer ranges but I need to fix the trajectory issue first. And find a decent long range to zero on!

Second question. Grenades. Are they worth it? I know I wouldnt want to be without them on a clearance op but how the hell do they work? Shells? Gas? Enlighten me please!

Third question. Carrying the MP5 and the EBR at the same time would obviously be a pain in the ass. Fun but still a pain. Has anyone got decent experience of the glock 18 or should I stay away?

Fourth Q. Anyone in Laois involved? I'm gonna try to get up to the hive early in the new year for some CQB craic but it would be nice to chat to some locals and know where you guys go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Q1 how many rds through the gun since re-assymbly maybe the hop up rubber needs bedding in. If this has a few hundred rds through it maybe you need a softer/thinner hop up buckling ( the rubber cylinder that sits in hop up arm) g&g green hop up rubbers are grand for the 1j limit, lots of guys use them with decent results.
    Q2 grenades are good craic and very useful for fibua imho the AI tornados are the best. I have owned just about every type of airsoft hand grenade and these are the best.
    Q3 glock 18's get either a tm (gas not electric) or a we gen 3/4
    Q4 im in kildare and regularly go to redhills airsoft site just outside kildare town its outdoors cqb with loads of buildings along with more open areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lillian2608

Cheers for that, I suppose I'll just have to go nuts with the M14 for a bit. It probably only has less than a hundred rounds through it since I picked it up and none since the rebuild, so I'll give it some welly when I get home. How much does temperature affect the hop up? With it being cold, I'm guessing you get more effect than when warm. Unfortunately the EBR is a pain in the ass to make changes and then test fire as stripping takes so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Tempreture does not overly effect electric guns performance wise. Only extreme cold will kill batteries but there are ways of dealing with that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I also own a EBR and the green hop works best with this gun (aside from a R-hop which I am not getting into.) Honestly for a gun of it's intimidating size it does sadly lack the range, My M4 easily outranged it when I had the EBR in stock set-up. When BB's go skyward direction it is over hopping simply pull back the charging handle and reduce the hop until you get a stable flight path. I would also recommend using .25g or .28g BB's.

It is a very finicky gun, I have stripped and re-built that gun no word of a lie 20 times between upgrades and other weird weird issues that even G&G could not figure out!.

Aside from that I love that hunk of metal though my shoulders after a day do not like it so much. If you have any questions on the EBR lemme know.

Thanks man. It's already on zero hop but I have to break it in by the looks of things. It is an ugly, heavy, evil looking thing which is why I chose it. I've got the MP5 to do the CQB stuff but I love the big stuff too. The M4s are just too common for my liking. I love finicky, it gives me something to do to improve each time. Plus, it might put some muscle on these spaghetti strings I call arms!

I will certainly draw on your knowledge if and when I have to, so cheers for that. We may meet on the field of battle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

On the hopup problem, my best guess might be that the nub got squeezed and pushed during assembly. Hopup nubs are flexible pieces of rubber that push down on the hopup rubber and sometimes during assembly it can get flattened a bit and some of it is out of place. This can mean that even with the hopup turned off it is still pushing down a little bit.
    This is a problem I experienced with a M4 hopup chamber so I am not sure if the nub in a M14 can suffer the same problem.

I would also agree on using .25g BBs. They work out more accurate and farther ranging than 0.2g BBs. You get less of them in a pack but they are worth it for better performance.

Grenades, I have a thunder B grenade and don't get too much use of it but I like having the option. They are usually used with an area of affect rule. Thunder B's use a re-usable core. A co2 bulb is placed inside the core and a disposable grenade shell is placed around it. When the grenade is primed and thrown a pin pierces the co2 bulb. The compressed gas then expands until the grenade shell explodes from the pressure. So the parts you have to buy are the shells and co2 bulbs.
    There are other gas powered grenades which usually are filled with green gas and BBs are loaded into it. The grenade is thrown and goes off on a timer or impact. These units are more expensive than the thunder B device. You don't have to purchase disposable parts apart from the gas and BBs you fill them with.

The glock is a fine sidearm and thermo has mentioned two very good models to get. Remember that full automatic will use gas faster than semi auto. I use a g17 because I didn't really have a need for full auto and the pistol fires very fast anyway that dumping a mag doesn't take too long.

That's some quick stuff that I can think of now, didn't go into too much detail. I play in cork mostly so I can't comment on too many sites for you.

thermo wrote: »
    Tempreture does not overly effect electric guns performance wise. Only extreme cold will kill batteries but there are ways of dealing with that!!

Can give you a deviation in some instances come summer time, warmer temp, pressure blah blah!. Not a whole pile but it can.

@Lillian if your planning a CQB skirmishbest leave the EBR at home! Even the short barrel version would be awkward to manipulate in that kind of fast paced game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Can give you a deviation in some instances come summer time, warmer temp, pressure blah blah!. Not a whole pile but it can.
    Not really Irish conditions, but I have been out in -14C. I didn't have any problems with the stock battery that came with my gun, but I kept spares in an inside breast pocket to keep the warm. A few of the other players did swap outs during the game.

sliabh wrote: »
    Not really Irish conditions, but I have been out in -14C. I didn't have any problems with the stock battery that came with my gun, but I kept spares in an inside breast pocket to keep the warm. A few of the other players did swap outs during the game.

Soz I was on about FPS should of said that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Laois man here :) any help you need I'm a bit techy with these things.
    Don't forget about redhills if you haven't noticed it.

• Advertisement

I think I've gone a bit nuts. Ordered a ghillie suit last night. Now I need to get one for the little one as well! Or make one for her that might be more fun.

Advertisement