Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just some questions from a student

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

As the title says I'm a student, still living with my parents. I'm a few years off moving out but I just have a few questions out of plain curiosity!
    1. How long does it take to save up enough money to go out, rent an apartment and know that you're not going to come running home to mammy and daddy after 6 months? How often would you have to be working and at what wage? (The course I want to do has a lot of hours!)
    2. Would you recommend getting friends to room with me and share the rent? If so how many?
    3. To any current students who have just moved out, can you afford any luxuries? How long would it take to save up for, say, a new TV?
    They're all the questions I can think of for the moment, may edit if I can think of any more! Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where and what sort of house and how many you want to share with.
    When I was in college my rent was only 45 euro a week so it was manageable with a part time job and I shared with 3 others.
    When I was back in Dublin working it was 400pm and we had to pay about 2300 deposit between 4 of us.( 1 1/2 months rent)
    Ideally I would have my deposit and 2 months rent saved just to be comfortable.
    Bills differ but allow at least 100 euro for food and another 100 for utilities in a shared house.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

jc4517 wrote: »
    As the title says I'm a student, still living with my parents. I'm a few years off moving out but I just have a few questions out of plain curiosity!
    1. How long does it take to save up enough money to go out, rent an apartment and know that you're not going to come running home to mammy and daddy after 6 months? How often would you have to be working and at what wage? (The course I want to do has a lot of hours!)
    2. Would you recommend getting friends to room with me and share the rent? If so how many?
    3. To any current students who have just moved out, can you afford any luxuries? How long would it take to save up for, say, a new TV?
    They're all the questions I can think of for the moment, may edit if I can think of any more! Thanks in advance guys!

Depends entirely on your income, but for most students, sharing with at least 3 or 4 others is by far the easiest way to keep costs down.

Small luxuries tend to be OK but a TV etc either a cheap second hand one or do without would be the way for most students I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre asking questions that are too vague for us to answer, and honestly that you need to work out for yourself. Have a look at the type of rental properties in the area in which you want to rent and figure out what kind of money you are talking per month. I dont know what you earn, but if youre not working and intend to work part time in a shop or whatever then assume minimum wage of 8.65 an hour times 8 hours a day for two days a week and you get €140 give or take per week in wages. Electricity is going to cost probably 100-250 per bill (two months) for an apartment depending on time of year and the type of heating in the property. Internet ranges from about 40 a month for DSL/fibre, to 10 and upwards for mobile/PAYG internet.

As a student your best options would be to either rent a room, or share a house with friends. Renting on your own when youre not working full time is not going to be an option. Im not sure what its like nowadays but when I was in college (about 12 years ago) we got a kip of a house in Carlow for about €40 a week each which suited us fine! Those days are almost certainly over though.

Advertisement