Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum access

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

First, great to see that this forum has been set up, at long last. Congrats to Evil Phil and Suave.

Secondly, I think that the powers that be have decided that the forum access will be public. I think that public access is not going to work. There are a number of reasons for that, which could be boiled down to the scarcity of available remote areas which are suitable for camping, the difficulty in finding appropriate places and the effort required to find them. Tabnabs put it better than I could when he said:
    I think there is general agreement that it has to be discreet so not to broadcast to the world where people are wild camping for fear of these places being turned trashed or turned into drinking destinations. Therefore there will always be some element of perceived elitism if some groups or categories of people are excluded "for the greater good".

If people were going to share wild camping spots publicly, they could already do so on the existing Outdoor Pursuits forum. Apart from a few isolated incidents, this has not happened and it is not happening, generally.

I think that this is going to cause a problem.

I think that the correct procedure is to post a thread to this effect in the Feed Forward Public Forum, but I thought that the most appropriate thing would be to post here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I started a thread here asking the same question earlier but its been deleted.... No idea why as i never got a pm or anything from a mod. Have asked beasty if he could tell me.

I agree though it will never work, i would hate to see nice spots turn into the popular spots in wicklow, full of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

aaakev wrote: »
    I started a thread here asking the same question earlier but its been deleted.... No idea why as i never got a pm or anything from a mod. Have asked beasty if he could tell me.

I agree though it will never work, i would hate to see nice spots turn into the popular spots in wicklow, full of rubbish

Here's what I'm thinking atm. We can keep going with this thread for the moment, see if we can get some support, and bring it over to Feedback.

I've been advised that this issue is going to have to go to Feedback, if it is to be reviewed. I understand that the Admins are going to have to make the decision on whether forum access should be public or private. I don't think that decision is up to the forum Mods. I'm guessing that the Mods' opinions will be important to the Admins, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Beasty said my thread was deleted because it had nothing to do with the forum, he was right it belonged in feedback really.. Ill wait for the feedback thread anyway an at least we are moving along now!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'm closing this thread for the reasons I've already mentioned

This is not the place to discuss forum structure. Once a Feedback thread is started I will be happy to post a link from here

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For everyone's info - there is now a Feedback thread here

Please make you feelings known over there if you consider this forum would be best run as a private one (which would mean that posters would have to request access from the forum mods and the forum would only be visible to those with access)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement