Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

facebook IP/location

Options
  • 10-12-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys,
    i've been messaging this girl on facebook and I think I'm being taken for a fool... I don't even think she's living in Ireland and her Fb account is full of ****... Anyone know how to find out what country she's messaging from?
    tks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

craig1975 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    i've been messaging this girl on facebook and I think I'm being taken for a fool... I don't even think she's living in Ireland and her Fb account is full of ****... Anyone know how to find out what country she's messaging from?
    tks in advance

Did she contact you? Probably a scam, or your mates winding you up.

If you can get them to e-mail you, you could see the list of e-mail servers the e-mail went through in the e-mail header information, and perform a "whois" query on each of the servers to see which county it came from.
    But it's not very accurate and subject to spoofing too.

If it's too good to be true, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

craig1975 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    tks in advance

The most accurate solution is to go to the Gardaí who will have powers to investigate if an offence has occurred and work with facebook to track the individual. Ok, so i'm guessing it isn't quite an offence yet and the Gardaí aren't appropriate to be on the case?

So, you won't get location information from facebook at least not by normal means. Closest that you might get to something half reliable would be a geoip lookup which you *might* get by constructing a little web (of deceipt I guess). Immediate Disclaimer: This may not be accurate so thread carefully and use wisely.

Assuming that "she" hasn't taken measures to hide "her" location you could get a sense of where "she" is likely to be from. Not going to be scientific though, and possibly very erronous but it might confirm your suspicions enough to save yourself "paying" her flight ticket to see you ;).

So what you could do (if you were being a little devious inquisitive) would be, set up a web page with something on it that "she" would be interested in or that you'd share with her - a funny photo, a photo of yourself (not related to the first suggestion), a "special" poem that you have composed just for her, or whatever will make "her" click the link..... "Her" clicking the link to the page will be the event which will get you a little closer to where "she" is.

So also, set up a free statcounter.com account and put the code onto the webpage which you've set up. Make sure its working.

Then share a link to the page with "her". When "she" clicks the page, statcounter should record it and you should see "her" click in your statcounter dashboard. At the bottom of the statcounter menu (left hand side), you'll see a "download logs" link. Click it, and then select download to excel.

Open the downloaded file and you should see lots of info about what has accessed that page, including Country, Region, City, and Posal Code <<- don't particularly trust all of these, but so long as "she" hasn't taken measures to obfuscate "herself", the country should be correct, and possibly the region. As long as no one else has clicked the link you should just see "her" clicks and any that you have made yourself.

The second column in the downloaded file - IP Address, could also be fed into a geoip tool, and *if* its registered via the individuals ISP, you *could* get some info as to more accurate location.

However be aware none of the above are 100% guaranteed to be accurate.

Use with caution. It could be the stuff of divorce proceedings in years to come!

:)

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Random message from good looking girl on the internet? Sounds legit..

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Get a free webhost account, copy a php file to the site that logs ip data to a file.
    Get her to access the webpage, it will save the ip to a file.
    Use the ip in ip2location.com to get her location.

https://theprime.co/how-to-make-a-php-ip-logging-script/
    If you've never done it before, itll take you less than an hour to set up and test.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 craig1975

I met her on adult dating site and then progressed to facebook (smart arse=gone drinking). I know something's off just can't figure out the end game. Tks for all your help guys (except for the smart-arse). I'll just start taking the piss now as things are becoming more obvious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

geoip.png

she could be in space....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: This thread is going nowhere so I'm closing it. PM me OP if you would like it re-opened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement