Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card stolen and used

Options
  • 10-12-2013 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM

Hi folks,
    My granny was taking money out of an ATM in Offaly about 2 weeks ago and the following happened. Her card was stolen, her card was then used to take out money from various ATMs in the area, the card was also used in shops in the area. The total amount taken was around €2000.

It has been reported to the guards already. Presumably the perpetrators saw her put her pin in to the ATM, then pickpocketed her card and proceeded to use it. She's 87 years old and would have been an easy target.

Other than the guards looking in to it, is there anything else she can do? I'm guessing there is cameras at all the ATMs and probably the shops as well. If the guards confirm that the card was stolen, but the perps aren't caught, can she get a refund from the bank (i of course realise that it's not the banks fault, but maybe they have some sort of insurance here). I remember getting a refund on my mastercard ftom my bank because the company i was dealing with (i bought a voucher on Living Social and it was never honoured blah blah blah...)

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure the gardaí chase the shops, etc. for CCTV. I suspect the only comeback will be if shops didn't follow procedure, which is less likely these days with chip and pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

once you report the card as stolen, all you have to tell the bank is that the last genuine transaction was at the atm, and give the location/time and date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

once you report the card as stolen, all you have to tell the bank is that the last genuine transaction was at the atm, and give the location/time and date.

But if the correct PIN was used for the transactions that weren't 'genuine', can the bank lay the blame on the account holder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

dobsdave wrote: »
    But if the correct PIN was used for the transactions that weren't 'genuine', can the bank lay the blame on the account holder?

They can. They mightn't. But they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

dobsdave wrote: »

It depends how the thieves got hold of the PIN. If it was by skimming or by monitoring her at the ATM, that's different to her putting her PIN on a post-it on the back of the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

It depends how the thieves got hold of the PIN. If it was by skimming or by monitoring her at the ATM, that's different to her putting her PIN on a post-it on the back of the card.

Exactly. PIN is not 100% secure due to skimming and such techniques. The bank are losing money on this and thus have tried to bring in various measures to prevents both at the ATMs and through education of customers.

Advertisement