Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Would you get tickets for the monday or tuesday easy you say?thinking going up last minute not sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Would you get tickets for the monday or tuesday easy you say?thinking going up last minute not sure yet

Very easily. I see a post from a friend on Facebook almost daily selling tickets for different nights. When these gigs were announced a lot of people would have just bought tickets because everyone was doing it. Now they don't have any real interest in going so you should get a ticket handy enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Wont know till that weekend will i be able to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I'd say the touts will be giving them away €20 a piece. Lots of people got carried away and wanted to be part of the hysteria when the tickets were like goldust. Its not even definitely going ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I'd say the touts will be giving them away €20 a piece. Lots of people got carried away and wanted to be part of the hysteria when the tickets were like goldust. Its not even definitely going ahead .

With supports announced its 99.9% happening

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    With supports announced its 99.9% happening

Well, I wouldn't be counting my chickens if I were you. There was/is an awful lot of pressure on the newly elected Councillors to vote against the planning permission.
    The Residents Association were very professional and highly organised in their approach to the situation.
    I wouldn't be surprised if two of the nights are cancelled. If there is no support act arranged for the Friday night and I had tickets for that night I would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does anyone know who Garth Brooks is?

Is he the fella who lost his virginity to Katie price?

Gareth Gates he had a stammer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well, I wouldn't be counting my chickens if I were you. There was/is an awful lot of pressure on the newly elected Councillors to vote against the planning permission.
    The Residents Association were very professional and highly organised in their approach to the situation.
    I wouldn't be surprised if two of the nights are cancelled. If there is no support act arranged for the Friday night and I had tickets for that night I would be concerned.

Do councillors decide on the license application? I was under the impression that it's the planning department that have the ultimate say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Scaremongering at its finest.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Scaremongering at its finest.

If you think this is scaremongering at its finest you need to get out a bit more!:)
    A country and western singer may have to cancel a couple of concerts. Its hardly reports of a giant meteorite heading towards the earth! Get some perspective!

• Advertisement

Do councillors decide on the license application? I was under the impression that it's the planning department that have the ultimate say.

Any additional concerts proposed to be held in Croke Park in excess of the three permitted per year under the permission must be applied for by way of a Public Event Licence application to Dublin City Council under the provisions of 230 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended. The application which can be for one or more events must be made a minimum of ten weeks prior to the first event.

Tickets have been sold for three One Direction Concerts in Croke Park on 23rd, 24th and 25th of May 2014. Dublin City Council has been informed by Croke Park Management and the Promoter that it is their intention to hold the One Direction Concerts under their 1993 planning approval. A compliance submission is expected to be lodged with Dublin City Council within the next three weeks for consideration.

Tickets have also been sold for a number of Garth Brooks Concerts in Croke Park for dates at the end of July 2014. Dublin City Council has not received a Public Event Licence Application for the proposed Garth Brooks concerts to date. The event organiser must lodge the application a minimum of 10 weeks prior to the event/series of concerts. Under the Public Event Licencing legislation any third party can make an observation relating to the application within a five week period from its date of lodgement.

The members of Dublin City Council will be informed when the expected licence application for the proposed Garth Brooks Concerts is received

I've taken the above from the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

If you think this is scaremongering at its finest you need to get out a bit more!:)
    A country and western singer may have to cancel a couple of concerts. Its hardly reports of a giant meteorite heading towards the earth! Get some perspective!

You do know what scaremongering means? Right?

Uriel. wrote: »
    You do know what scaremongering means? Right?

Yes I know. But do you?
    I speculated that the licence hasn't been granted for the concerts, that in my opinion 1 or 2 might be cancelled. That the objectors to the concerts appear to have been very organised and professional in their efforts to have at least some of the concerts cancelled. I didn't suggest that a swarm of African Killer bees were going to attack Croke Park on one of the nights.
    Were is the scaremongering?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Have a read of your post above and tell me where you don't see the scaremongering directed to people who have forked out a small fortune on travel/hotel/ tickets for the gigs?
    I respect your opinion but the gigs are going ahead, GAA came out and said they are, Dublin CC aren't stupid and can see if any of these are cancelled that the amount of money lost would be in the millions. Add that to the pressure tourism Ireland has now heaped on them with approx 100,000 Visitors due to come here( and letting everyone who will listen know this) i can safely say 99.9% that these gigs are going ahead and will know in the next week or so.
    Yes expect some extreme restrictions especially on the Mon & Tues Nights but that's to be expected

Yes I know. But do you?
    I speculated that the licence hasn't been granted for the concerts, that in my opinion 1 or 2 might be cancelled. That the objectors to the concerts appear to have been very organised and professional in their efforts to have at least some of the concerts cancelled. I didn't suggest that a swarm of African Killer bees were going to attack Croke Park on one of the nights.
    Were is the scaremongering?

Clearly you don't know.

Scaremongering is not restricted to Life or death situations:
    MacMillan Dictionary
    the process of saying or doing something in order to deliberately make people feel worried or frightened, especially so that you can gain an advantage
    Collins (Scaremonger)
    A person who spreads frightening or ominous reports or rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Come on PPL!! 5 weeks today!! Lets get the excitement started!!
    Who's hoping for a lively song to start and a few slow sing-along songs to get croke park in the mood to make the Friday night a concert to beat others!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have a read of your post above and tell me where you don't see the scaremongering directed to people who have forked out a small fortune on travel/hotel/ tickets for the gigs?
    Anybody reading these threads will know of the issues. If somebody decides to cancel a holiday because someone on boards gave an opinion they probably shouldn't be allowed out without supervision.

I respect your opinion but the gigs are going ahead
    More than likely but can you say that with 100% certainty
    i can safely say 99.9% that these gigs are going ahead and will know in the next week or so.
    Yes expect some extreme restrictions especially on the Mon & Tues Nights but that's to be expected

No you can't

Look we all can say with some degree of confidence these gigs are happening, But calling someone a scaremongerer for giving an opinion is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

There are going to probably be posts speculating about cancelling shows up until the shows actually take place. There are going to be people ranting and raving Before, During & AFTER the shows take place. That is what they'll do. Complain and talk about how the agreement was broken, and how their lives were miserable for the 5 days that Garth fans ran rampant throughout their community. They'll find the single minor incident that took place over the course of shows, and blow it up as an example of how bad things went.

Meanwhile, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Hostels, Taxis, Tourist Spots, Stores, Markets, Street Vendors, Croke Park workers, Newspapers....will be all counting the additional money they made due to the 400,000 people going out to the shows over a 5 day period.

And by that Wednesday morning, everything in the pristine Croke Park community will return completely to normal, as if nothing had even happened. Everyone gone, with no trace left due to the fact all will have been cleaned up by then. But still, you will have those who feel bitter, and that their agreement was broken. That will endure past the shows, as will the threat of cancellation up until they actually happen next month.

Clearly you don't know.

But where's the scaremongering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Heard on the radio today that we'll know within two weeks.

• Advertisement

There are going to probably be posts speculating about cancelling shows up until the shows actually take place. There are going to be people ranting and raving Before, During & AFTER the shows take place. That is what they'll do. Complain and talk about how the agreement was broken, and how their lives were miserable for the 5 days that Garth fans ran rampant throughout their community. They'll find the single minor incident that took place over the course of shows, and blow it up as an example of how bad things went.
    Or y'know they'll complain about things that are actually happening, which they're entitled to do. Or they'll discuss it on a discussion forum
    Meanwhile, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Hostels, Taxis, Tourist Spots, Stores, Markets, Street Vendors, Croke Park workers, Newspapers....will be all counting the additional money they made due to the 400,000 people going out to the shows over a 5 day period.
    400,000 minus the people who'll drive, live in dublin or in other ways won't spend that much. Plus it's the last weeks in july there'd be tourists anyway, Plus any extra cash will be offset by extra staff, security, stock etc
    And by that Wednesday morning, everything in the pristine Croke Park community will return completely to normal, as if nothing had even happened. Everyone gone, with no trace left due to the fact all will have been cleaned up by then. But still, you will have those who feel bitter, and that their agreement was broken. That will endure past the shows, as will the threat of cancellation up until they actually happen next month.
    Except the license application say's cleanup will take place for a week afterwards.

43.2 REMEDIAL WORKS
    It is noted the work on the removal of the majority of temporary structures associated with the
    event (i.e. stage, marquees, production facilities etc.) will commence no earlier than 8.00am on
    30th July following the event and will be fully completed together with reinstatement works
    required on the site, within a period no greater than one week following the event (weather
    permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

And by that Wednesday morning, everything in the pristine Croke Park community will return completely to normal, as if nothing had even happened. Everyone gone, with no trace left due to the fact all will have been cleaned up by then.

Sorry but that is wrong. It takes them a week to get Croke Park ready for a concert and a week to get it back to playable conditions. For the 1D concerts, they finished working on the Saturday after the last gig.

Folks, does anyone really think that you can convert a venue and then build a huge stage in 24 hours and dismantle it in the same time?

The numbers for tourists coming to Ireland from aboard will be a small figure IMO and the vast majority of money will be spent in Croke Park itself or in pubs/hotels/restaurants, which is the same as would be on any match day. Anyone saying that the local community will benefit outside of pubs etc would be a bit wide of the mark.

I respect your opinion but the gigs are going ahead, GAA came out and said they are, Dublin CC aren't stupid and can see if any of these are cancelled that the amount of money lost would be in the millions. Add that to the pressure tourism Ireland has now heaped on them with approx 100,000 Visitors due to come here( and letting everyone who will listen know this) i can safely say 99.9% that these gigs are going ahead and will know in the next week or so.

No scaremongering.. You simply cannot say that those gigs are definitely going ahead. Wishing it were so doesn't make it a fait accompli . You make it appear as if buying concert tickets and booking hotel rooms were somehow obligatory. That's ridiculous. Its a lifestyle choice. Quite clearly printed on your ticket it says "subject to licence". You can't escape that. You also seem to think that cancelling some of the gigs will cause some kind of national emergency. It won't, you know.

Clearly you don't know.

It may come as some surprise to you to learn that the great Irish people are unlikely to be "frightened" if a couple of pop concerts are cancelled.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But where's the scaremongering?

I never said there was

It may come as some surprise to you to learn that the great Irish people are unlikely to be "frightened" if a couple of pop concerts are cancelled.

Nice of you to acknowledge you didn't understand fully the word.

We're not talking about Irish people, as such. Diehard fans would probably be worried that their concert will be cancelled with no alternative date to attend

We're not talking about Irish people, as such. Diehard fans would probably be worried that their concert will be cancelled with no alternative date to attend

But diehard fans would know all about the issues between the residents and croke park and croke park. I very much doubt anyone's first notification of this was that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

:confused: how did she acknowledge this? I can't see how what she said would fall under either of the definitions you gave. Her response was to this strange "fact" that once a support act is announced that gigs are 99.9% sure to go ahead -which could be seen as "anti-scaremongering" or overly optimistic. She was just giving fair warning against this odd claim.

GAA came out and said they are, Dublin CC aren't stupid and can see if any of these are cancelled that the amount of money lost would be in the millions.
    But do dublin CC benefit? they might have to foot some of the clean up bill and not get any direct financial benefit. Like they have to pay for the clean up of election cable ties still littered all around the country.

There was talk of a €12million fine, I wonder who would get this.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/garth-brooks-concert-promoters-broke-3641940
    Furious campaigners have called on gardai to prosecute the GAA and Aiken Promotions for allegedly promoting the Garth Brooks Croke Park concerts illegally.

Homeowners who live in the area handed letters of complaint over to the Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan at midday yesterday, asking for criminal proceedings to be launched against the top companies....

Mr O’ Brien claimed 14-year-old licensing laws say anyone promoting an event without a licence “shall be guilty of an offence” which can carry a two-year jail term or a €12million fine.

I doubt they will be cancelled, but far from certain about it, I doubt if you went to paddy powers to gamble that the odds would reflect a 99.9% certainty.

On a lighter note PP did have odds on garth
    Betting Odds:

Garth Brooks to play a 6th night at Croke Park
    4/7 Yes
    5/4 No

Garth Brooks number of concerts in Croke Park
    5/4 5 nights
    2/1 6 nights
    7/2 7 nights
    10/1 8 nights
    20/1 9 nights
    7/1 10 nights or more

Who will play in Croke Park more in summer 2014
    10/11 Dublin Footballers
    4/5 Garth Brooks

9/2 Statue of Garth Brooks to be erected at Croke Park
    6/1 Garth Brooks to buy a house in Ireland
    http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/garth-brooks-adds-5th-night-dublin-croke-park-stay-6th-coming-soon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Next person to bump this thread with non news should be banned.

Same goes for "im excited"

Such a waste of time wading through this rabbiling for the thousand time, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I'm excited

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement