Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

This came out earlier from rte:
    http://m.rte.ie/news/touch//2014/0620/625326-garth-brooks-dublin/

Residents around Croke Park have been told there will not be an oral hearing into their objections to the planned Garth Brooks concerts next month. Dublin city councillors passed a motion calling for a public hearing before the council planners made a decision on the licence application. However , residents in the area received letters from council management saying that they had enough information from more than 370 submissions received and they will not be taking oral submissions. The council said it is assessing the submissions and meeting with State agencies, as well as the Aiken promotions and the Croke Park authorities. A decision on the licence application is expected within two weeks. Meanwhile, local residents representatives say no progress has been made in a mediation process chaired by Kieran Mulvey. They say they are hoping to get a response from Croke Park through the mediator before a public meeting planned for 1 July. Residents had previously received written assurances from the GAA that concerts would be limited to three a year unless there was prior consultation. But tickets were sold for five Garth Brooks concerts in July, on top of three concerts by One Direction last month

Good to see that the DCC aren't caving to the residents surrounding croke park and their demand for an oral hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Uriel. wrote: »
    Nice of you to acknowledge you didn't understand fully the word.

We're not talking about Irish people, as such. Diehard fans would probably be worried that their concert will be cancelled with no alternative date to attend[/quote

Nowhere did I acknowledge not fully understanding anything. You must be confusing me with someone else.

Sorry, its you who doesn't fully understand the word. Incidentally, it is quite telling that you seem to think scaremongering'" is a word so sophisticated that it needs looking up in not one , but two dictionaries.
    Its always a cause for concern when someone crosses that line between being a "fan" and becomes simply 'fanatical" . Obsessive even.
    Out the window goes any logic, perspective reason or rational. Yes, if some of the gigs are cancelled, an option which despite your passionate denial is still on the cards, some people will be disappointed. But I'm sure they'll get their money back, and, really, nobody will have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Sorry, its you who doesn't fully understand the word. Incidentally, it is quite telling that you seem to think scaremongering'" is a word so sophisticated that it needs looking up in not one , but two dictionaries.
    Its always a cause for concern when someone crosses that line between being a "fan" and becomes simply 'fanatical" . Obsessive even.
    Out the window goes any logic, perspective reason or rational. Yes, if some of the gigs are cancelled, an option which despite your passionate denial is still on the cards, some people will be disappointed. But I'm sure they'll get their money back, and, really, nobody will have died.

I never said the gigs wouldn't be cancelled or anything of the sort. I simply referred to your post to the other poster regarding scaremongering. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that you go on about about nobody will have died shows that your jump to attack a posters assertion that you adopted scaremongering was an ill shown attack.

Again, I didn't even refer to the concert itself or to the artist.

Anyway, back on the topic of the concerts, I'd be surprised if the 5 night licence wasn't granted, but not beyond the realms of possibility that it wouldn't be. However, there's a lot of money to be made here for a lot of people, economic considerations usually prevail

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But diehard fans would know all about the issues between the residents and croke park and croke park. I very much doubt anyone's first notification of this was that post.

Diehard fans (indeed most people) don't understand the legal and administrative processes behind organising gigs and confirming licences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Hold on....yea, i just died a little inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Where in that article does it say the residents "demanded" an oral hearing
    This came out earlier from rte:
    http://m.rte.ie/news/touch//2014/0620/625326-garth-brooks-dublin/

Residents had previously received written assurances from the GAA that concerts would be limited to three a year unless there was prior consultation. But tickets were sold for five Garth Brooks concerts in July, on top of three concerts by One Direction last month

I assume you want croke park to take out an injunction against rte for defamation?

Uriel. wrote: »
    Diehard fans (indeed most people) don't understand the legal and administrative processes behind organising gigs and confirming licences
    I agree, the point I'm making is anyone reading this thread will know enough about the situation that a post saying "I'm not 100% sure this will happen" isn't gonna make them panic sell their tickets.

Where in that article does it say the residents "demanded" an oral hearing

I assume you want croke park to take out an injunction against rte for defamation?

Here it is: call for an oral hearing.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garth-brooks-licence-1404238-Apr2014/

http://m.rte.ie/news/touch//2014/0407/607368-garth-brooks/

• Advertisement

They say "councillors call for public hearing"

Councillors are not residents
    Calling for is not demanding
    A public hearing is not oral submissions.

And I ask again, if you wanted the residents sued for defamation for saying cp didn't consult them because it implied they had to, what action would you like taken against rte for saying they had to consult them?

I agree, the point I'm making is anyone reading this thread will know enough about the situation that a post saying "I'm not 100% sure this will happen" isn't gonna make them panic sell their tickets.

And I don't disagree there 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Why is everyone getting so worked up about it all.....
    I'd like to think that all 5 gigs will go ahead
    Lets all just be excited that there's only 5 weeks to go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Why is everyone getting so worked up about it all.....
    I'd like to think that all 5 gigs will go ahead
    Lets all just be excited that there's only 5 weeks to go!!!!

Or 4 and a half !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

4 and a half sounds even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Friday July 25th – NO SUPPORT ACT
    Saturday July 26th – SHANE FILAN
    Sunday July 27th – SHANE FILAN
    Monday July 28th – NATHAN CARTER
    Tuesday July 29th – NATHAN CARTER

http://musicscene.ie/2014/06/garth-brooks-croke-park-dublin-2014-support-acts-announced/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Actually just read his tweet above again and maybe he's doing just the Friday evening. There's still hope for Derek Ryan and Nathan Carter. If Derek Ryan gets a go in and I hope he does, I hope he brings Sharon Shannon due to his collaboration with her for his new single. She's always great for getting the crowd going.

I have a little news to tell but will do so later because I'm busy and just taking a little peep at boards.

Surely, there's better singers in Ireland than Derek Ryan. His single with Sharon Shannon was very poor even though Sharon is a great artists. I don't see why this Ryan guy gets all this publicity. He is not even a country singer anyhow, he was a boyband singer. Then again, all new Irish country singers are really just boyband singers essentially and have no feel for the real bluesy country. Garth Brooks with Longneck bottle and Ain't goin' down til the sun comes up does have the feel for soulful country blues though. Even on his more pop influenced stuff, Brooks always sings with feeling and conviction. Derek Ryan will serve to show us the different leagues he and Garth are in. With all these upstarts like Ryan every minute, I nearly miss Mike Denver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

OldGoat wrote: »
    Mod:
    Can I just ask posters in here that when the announcement of permission is made that, whichever way it goes, we remain civil to each other in this thread?

Remember that this is a Music forum and as such the music is the primary topic of discussion.

Thanks and much appreciated.
    MOD:
    In light of the mediation story in the press today I want to restate the post above.
    Any "acting the dick" in the thread will result in bans.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For the sake of clarity, publication of the Mulvey proposals today has absolutely nothing to do with the City Council's process to reach a planning decision on licencing the event. This work carries on and remains subject to the same objections discussed last week.

The Mulvey recommendation was on the back of a Croke Park initiative to mitigate the threat to the shows. It has no binding status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Becki-Jay

Im gutted that theres no support Act the Friday night, surely they'll announce someone for that night as its the opening night ?

Im going the Fri and Sat night, cant wait ! Been waiting 20 years for this ! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

talk about the gig itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Becki-Jay wrote: »
    Im gutted that theres no support Act the Friday night, surely they'll announce someone for that night as its the opening night ?

Im going the Fri and Sat night, cant wait ! Been waiting 20 years for this ! <3

Either that or Garth will do an extra long show or it could got the other way and we'd be on the road home by 10.

Either that or Garth will do an extra long show or it could got the other way and we'd be on the road home by 10.

I thought it could be because people with seats wouldn't bother showing up till later on until maybe around 7.30pm. Less humun traffic at 6pm around the area.

But then if you show up at 7.30 to find Garth Brooks on the stage !!! So people might come along anyway and sit in their seats. But there's nothing to do in the seats but go the bar and get p!ssed, for two hours! Come out of croke park plastered and yeah the residents aren't happy. Should just put some one playing.

I thought it could be because people with seats wouldn't bother showing up till later on until maybe around 7.30pm. Less humun traffic at 6pm around the area.

But then if you show up at 7.30 to find Garth Brooks on the stage !!! So people might come along anyway and sit in their seats. But there's nothing to do in the seats but go the bar and get p!ssed, for two hours! Come out of croke park plastered and yeah the residents aren't happy. Should just put some one playing.

But how would that be different to the Monday and Tuesday. I'd hazard a guess that Friday will be a test run, basically the same gig but with a half hour extra. Nothing extra in terms if songs but making sure the timing/fireworks/instrument changes etc are spot on for the following nights which are being recorded for DVD/ppv. Basically a 2 hour concert spaced out to 2hrs30.

Some of the residents turned their noses up the at Mulvey's suggestions that came out today.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/croke-park-residents-reject-garth-3776336

So what now?

Wait for a decision on the licenses from DCC and if granted run to the high court for an injunction to stop the gigs from going ahead?

The only thing that many people are looking forward. A bit of a pick up in the worst recession that has hit the history of the state where many have been effected by many ways. A small bit of hope and light.

Some of the residents turned their noses up the at Mulvey's suggestions that came out today.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/croke-park-residents-reject-garth-3776336
    They didn't "turn there nose up." The report suggested compensation, They said they don't want compensation. That's all.

So what now? Wait for a decision on the licenses from DCC and if granted run to the high court for an injunction to stop the gigs from going ahead?
    No decision has been made by DCC, This was a recommendation by an independent mediator.
    The only thing that many people are looking forward. A bit of a pick up in the worst recession that has hit the history of the state where many have been effected by many ways. A small bit of hope and light.
    1) The recession ended last year
    2) Of the €24,000,00 in ticket sales, less than €2mil is going into the Irish economy.
    3) At the end of the day, IT'S ONLY A COUPLE OF CONCERTS.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I genuinely hate doing this. But if people can't be civil to each other, this thread will be locked at first for 24hours and then longer.

Stop bitching.

There was a decision made. From here on talk about the concert only, not the circus around it's planning permission, if you want to do that, there's a Dublin forum

No support act on the Friday night cause we're getting some good news instead.

Press conference due on the Friday at Croke Park.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/garth-brooks-to-make-big-announcement-before-first-croker-show-49429/

Keep your knickers on people, im so excited !!!

4 more weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

The irony of HardLuckWoman telling people to keep their knickers on. Priceless :pac:

He will probably announce dates for the world tour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement