Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Its written in the plans for anyone to see.
    Not trying to drag it down, but anyone who's made this claim has either quoted the an bord pleanala application or linked to someone quoting it. I have yet to see (and lord knows I've searched) the actual plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

which 3 dates? are u freakin kidding me? :mad::mad: i have tickets for the monday and tuesday. i have hotels booked for the two night, train tickets booked :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If its true (the 3 night) then there will be alot of people left out pocket.

I think that this whole system needs adressing. The promotor should not legally be allowed to sell tickets to any event that hasn't been granted permission. For big events there is no reason why permission shouldn't be granted/refused months/ a year in advance.

My ticket says I have bought entrace to a gig on Monday, and I have planned accordingly. Never checked but I'm sure aon the small print there is the get out of the subject to permission. But anybody who has a ticket, to this or other gigs, will obviously plan well in advance for hotels, trains, planes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nothing to with Enda, or the Govt or anything else. This is to do with planning law and previous agreements, both of which have been flouted enough in this place. 5 nights was always the promoter and the GAA taking the pi55, was bound to end in tears, and people were warned from early on that it could.

That all seems about right to me. 5 nights in a row always seemed excessive to me.

Sure when U2 were doing the 3 nights back in 05 and 09, there was always the break on the Sunday. Now maybe that was to give the band a rest. I don't think U2 ever do 3 nights in a row these days. But I thought the residents had a say in this too? Maybe I'm wrong though.

I work just off Dorset Street and need to swing by Clonliffe Road on the way home so that can be a bit of a pain for me on match/gig days.

Anyone have any idea of the most amount of gigs in 1 year at Croker?
    8 this year would be way above a previous high, right?

Also a few pages back, someone mentioned about tickets being available on Ticketmaster. The season ticket holders have options on their seats up until a few weeks before the gigs. If and when the options are not taken, the tickets get released on Ticketmaster. That''s always been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am extremely surprised this happened. It is going to be very interesting to see how Aiken handle it from here. The tickets were sold "subject to license" so if you booked flights from abroad tough luck really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

just heard it on live 95fm 3 nights only

not cancelling anything yet. i had a sunday ticket n all :( i'm genuinely upset here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

They always preface these sales with "subject to licence".

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

cson wrote: »

Just saying.

But that's never been an issue before. I don't remember any gigs being cancelled because a license was refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

cson wrote: »

Just saying.

And it was one of the cornerstones of the residents commitee that this was illegal. Which raises an interesting question of whether or not people can sue aiken for transport, hotels etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Jofspring

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    not cancelling anything yet. i had a sunday ticket n all :( i'm genuinely upset here :(

Sunday will go ahead. I would imagine the first 3 dates on sale will be the ones to go ahead.

:(:( i know i'm just coming from cork, but what about those poor souls that are coming from around the world? ffs :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Im guessing so. The first 3 nights will probably stay, with the others moved somewhere else or cancelled.

Joe Duffy is going to be a busy man today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

But that's never been an issue before. I don't remember any gigs being cancelled because a license was refused.

I have heard they do this on purpose, as if cancelled under subject to license they do not need to pay for hotels/flights/etc. But if they get the license first and then cancel they will have to pay for them.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Sunday will go ahead. I would imagine the first 3 dates on sale will be the ones to go ahead.

emphasis on HAD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

This is very unfair so close to show time.
    Make rules for future shows not these ones.

I am guessing it's the first three as well that will gonna ahead.

They can't cancel the other two, prob just move them. Lose way too much money if they cancel!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The fair thing to do would be to delete the extra dates in reverse order, leaving nights 1-3 in the order they were announced. Night 5 wasnt sold out so that should certainly go.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Wth...loads of questions now. What 3 nights? What do you do if you swapped your tickets for one of the cancelled nights...who gets the refund? What if you have a hotel / travel booked?

Is it ok to scream now??? So f@c&in annoyed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's blaming Aiken for that!

They would have gotten all 5 if the RA's didn't kick up a fuss

Which they were perfectly entitled to do.

Imo its great to see someone taking a stand against a commercial entity like Aiken who waltzed in and thought they could do what they liked.

**** for anyone who has tix for the cancelled days but delighted for Aiken et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It doesnt often happen, because normally promoters and their agents would have all their ducks in a row before selling tickets. As opposed to this unholy cluster f*** by Aikens et al.

• Advertisement

and my hotel called me to confirm my booking for the monday already. i told them i would be staying with them. i'm not cancelling anything right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This guy says no decision has been made

https://twitter.com/davemolloy/status/484637821375119360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Of course it makes sense to keep the first 3., but this is Ireland so anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

It doesnt often happen, because normally promoters and their agents would have all their ducks in a row before selling tickets. As opposed to this unholy cluster f*** by Aikens et al.

Or normally they don't try to cram 5 concerts into as many nights.... As already posted, concerts are always subject to licence, with the distinction in this instance being the urine that Aiken arguably tried to extract with the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

between this and waiting on my cao offer for tomorrow, my anxiety levels are going through the roof right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No. Licences are never granted before tickets go on sale. Every single event is subject to license.
    This is not aikens fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭slingerz

They may simply move the 2 other concerts to somewhere else really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whichever way this goes it shows how totally unfair the current system is. DCC are now caught between the residents and the people who have bought and paid for tickets, and all the additional travel requirements.

Promotors should not be allowed sell tickets until such time as they have permission. That will force the promotors to get everything squared before the event is announced.

SUre ticketmaster have recevied their cut already, Aiken promo have had the cash for months. everybody wins, except those who lose out I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

viv2 wrote: »
    Wth...loads of questions now. What 3 nights? What do you do if you swapped your tickets for one of the cancelled nights...who gets the refund? What if you have a hotel / travel booked?

Is it ok to scream now??? So f@c&in annoyed.....

Swapped tickets? Ticketmaster will give you a refund if you bought a ticket from them for a cancelled show.(if cancelled)

Hotel/train if already paid for are not giving money back, they don't have to in.the slightest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement