Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

lambayire wrote: »
    First time an event licence has been refused, according to the chap just on with Ray D'Arcy there now.

I guess it would make sense to have a licence granted before tickets went on sale.
    I wonder what's the process in other countries?

They actually had a Lisdoonvarna music festival cancelled in 2002 or 2003 for same reason and it was relocated to the RDS. The promoters for that one were Aiken as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

recyclops wrote: »
    when we are as screwed as we are this would have been a major tourist boost and millions into dublin is no bad thing

its just run of the mill irish shortsightedness from all parties involved

Sorry cyclops, you can't even get past your own short sightedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

I'll be all over this like a cheap suit today on the Liveline, talk to Joe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

From RTE

The GAA has confirmed that two of the five planned Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park have been cancelled after Dublin City Council did not grant permission for them to go ahead.

Concerts will go ahead on 25, 26, and 27 July.

400,000 tickets have already been sold for the five sold-out shows.

Earlier Fine Gael Councillor Ray McAdam said Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan confirmed to him this morning that just three of the concerts have been approved by the council.

There is no right of appeal against the council's decision except by going to the courts.

Other sources saying that the Aviva will be put foward?? Clearly whoever has stated that has never been. 80000 into 50000 dont go

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

will ticketmaster refund their booking fee also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’m surprised with a mooohasive amount of money being generated by the concerts that they didn’t chuck a larger amount at the residents.

Wonder if they fired a north of €1,000,000 their way would it have kept them stum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure putting 'subject to licence' on a ticket is the loophole to this as both MCD and aiken have done it for years and I'm.sure are both fully aware ifthe law.

I thought that too, But the statute seems pretty solid. I think all sides (aiken, mcd, dcc etc) just ignored it until someone challenged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

miju wrote: »
    Well with so many unemployed in this country I'd say it is, anything that does international PR damage to this country is a bad thing especially whiney old townies being responsible for it.

Was just on CNN there......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

ciaran75 wrote: »
    will ticketmaster refund their booking fee also?

I wouldnt think so. Ticketmaster are the absolute scum of the earth. I cant see them refunding anything more than they absolutely have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Money will be refunded to the card that bought the tickets. If people bought off touts, they are f****d.

I wasnt asking for myself, but im sure some other people might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    They actually had a Lisdoonvarna music festival cancelled in 2002 or 2003 for same reason and it was relocated to the RDS. The promoters for that one were Aiken as well.

Ah, right so. Maybe he was referring to it being a Dublin thing.

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Could they move the two cancelled gigs to a one off in Slane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭slingerz

Effects wrote: »
    Sorry cyclops, you can't even get past your own short sightedness.

Dont see cyclops as being short sighted actually. The dublin economy and tourism sector in general are going to lose out massively from this.

When living near a large venue it should be apparent that you are going to face disruption at certain times due to events taking place.

Only solution is not to have any events taking place anywhere really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

seachto7 wrote: »
    Could they move the two cancelled gigs to a one off in Slane?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I thought that too, But the statute seems pretty solid. I think all sides (aiken, mcd, dcc etc) just ignored it until someone challenged it.

Im.sure someone has arrempted to challenge before, its been the case for what 12 years now?
    Im pretty sure they cover themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I reckon Hard Luck Woman should be taken into custody to protect the residents....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    How is it a disgrace?

I'd label it a disgrace because the wants of 160,000 are being denied to satisfy the wants of a significantly less amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    From RTE

The GAA has confirmed that two of the five planned Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park have been cancelled after Dublin City Council did not grant permission for them to go ahead.

Concerts will go ahead on 25, 26, and 27 July.

400,000 tickets have already been sold for the five sold-out shows.

Earlier Fine Gael Councillor Ray McAdam said Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan confirmed to him this morning that just three of the concerts have been approved by the council.

There is no right of appeal against the council's decision except by going to the courts.

Other sources saying that the Aviva will be put foward?? Clearly whoever has stated that has never been. 80000 into 50000 dont go

Looks like they would be looking for 3 Aviva concerts to take the numbers for the 2 Croke Park concerts - hope this is right and works out for all who have Monday and Tuesday tickets

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/garth-brooks-concerts-aviva-put-forward-as-possible-venue-for-two-axed-concerts-30404148.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

5 concerts in a row was a joke ,no where else in the world would you see that ,the promoters were really asking for trouble especially seeing as they had used up their allowance of 3 annual gigs earlier in the year.

Why couldnt they have split the gigs over 2 weekends ,they are one off gigs ,no touring schedule to accommodate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I’m surprised with a mooohasive amount of money being generated by the concerts that they didn’t chuck a larger amount at the residents.

Wonder if they fired a north of €1,000,000 their way would it have kept them stum?

Was never about the residents, it was about event licencing and planning law, and the mess made by the parties promoting the gigs.

This is a massive smack in the head for the arrogance that pervades certain sectors in this country. Long term everyone will be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Every bar in town packed for two days gone say 5/10 less staff in majority of bars of the city missing out on a nights wages

Hotel rooms cancelled less staff needed again, extra shifts for bus drivers.

Im sorry but a bit of noise and people walking by get over it wear ear plugs! Think of the dublin and wage people need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I reckon Hard Luck Woman should be taken into custody to protect the residents....

Im raging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

We should hold concerts every night of the year by that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

but1er wrote: »
    Every bar in town packed for two days gone say 5/10 less staff in majority of bars of the city missing out on a nights wages

Im sorry but a bit of noise and people walking by get over it wear ear plugs! Think of the dublin and wage people need!

don't forget the train drivers, there are extra trains put on

ffs even i did have a sunday ticket, i had no way of getting up or down and i have no place to stay and i would be going up on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What an absolute shambles, I'm one of the lucky ones that's going on the Saturday, I feel sorry for everyone who had tickets for the Monday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭slingerz

Zardoz wrote: »
    5 concerts in a row was a joke ,no where else in the world would you see that ,the promoters were really asking for trouble especially seeing as they had used up their allowance of 3 annual gigs earlier in the year.

Why couldnt they have split the gigs over 2 weekends ,they are one off gigs ,no touring schedule to accommodate.

It happens regularly in most major cities of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Looks like they would be looking for 3 Aviva concerts to take the numbers for the 2 Croke Park concerts - hope this is right and works out for all who have Monday and Tuesday tickets

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/garth-brooks-concerts-aviva-put-forward-as-possible-venue-for-two-axed-concerts-30404148.html

As a Monday night ticket holder living within 6/7mins walk of the Aviva, I would HUGELY welcome this happening.

Better venue for music IMO and means no trek over to the Northside

Fingers are crossed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

but1er wrote: »

How many dubs are going to these concerts? people from Near enough to dublin that they'll drive home? people coming on buses?

Sorry but the idea that 80,00 people are gonna pour out the doors of croke park and start throwing money hand over fist at the nearest pub is just not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Im raging

1850 715 815

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement