Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Limerick County board offering for the gigs to
    be held it the Gaelic Grounds..

It takes 10 weeks to apply for a licence for any venue..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

A complete and utter debacle by Aiken Promotions and the GAA, the application for the injunction will happen now that the permits have issued, wouldn't hold out much hope there as the judgment will be purely based on a point of law, have the conditions of the planning permission granted been adhered to.

secman

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music/garth-brooks-concerts-for-limerick-1-6157711

Of all the stupid gombeen suggestions, he does realise that Limerick County Council could tell him to **** off and all.......

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wacotaco wrote: »

It takes 10 weeks to apply for a licence for any venue..

im sure some decisions can be fast tracked...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Of all the stupid gombeen suggestions, he does realise that Limerick County Council could tell him to **** off and all.......

Doubtful they would, LCC would froth at the mouth at the thoughts of bringing that many people to the city!

• Advertisement

Doubtful they would, LCC would froth at the mouth at the thoughts of bringing that many people to the city!

Yes but that depends on whatever planning laws are already in place for the City, no more than DCC they cant just make it up to suit the situation. And what of the Ennis Road residents? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

sydthebeat wrote: »
    bullcrap

no hotel orders on food 4 weeks in advance...
    no hotel organizes temporary staff 4 weeks in advance.

they will still get their 3 busy nights...

holding onto these bookings simply smacks of greed.

To echo your statement; "bullcrap"

The hotels have in place an option to buy a refundable room rate, to cover unforeseen circumstances. It's up to the buyer whether they value their money enough to cover such events. It's the same when buying some flights or with travel insurance.

The hotels are set up correctly in offering this, they've done their part. If the buyer chose not to book a refundable rate then they were choosing themselves to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

the county manager cites "anti social behavior" as one of the reasons for refusal

laughable!!!!
    How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Limerick CC would jump at it, be like Springsteen last year and be fantastic for the city..

Be a massive long shot though!

hynesie08 wrote: »
    How so?

because its middle aged crowd on a monday and tuesday night going to garth brooks....

not a bunch of 15-16 yos going to swedish house mafia pissed and banging to the heavens.

some perspective please.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    To echo your statement; "bullcrap"

The hotels have in place an option to buy a refundable room rate, to cover unforeseen circumstances. It's up to the buyer whether they value their money enough to cover such events. It's the same when buying some flights or with travel insurance.

The hotels are set up correctly in offering this, they've done their part. If the buyer chose not to book a refundable rate then they were choosing themselves to take the risk.

none of which counters my argument that holding the bookings is nothing more than greed.

Yes but that depends on whatever planning laws are already in place for the City, no more than DCC they cant just make it up to suit the situation. And what of the Ennis Road residents? ;)

The residents could of course object(don't think many would, their main fear with the license was the type of act, Brooks would be right up their street.. And an bord planaela(spelling) already rejected their first objections:p) but at least it's a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I still reckon they would find a way. May not be above board but they would.

Ennis road lads would be grand, they would welcome Gareth with open arms and a bag of cans :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

because its middle aged crowd on a monday and tuesday night going to garth brooks....

not a bunch of 15-16 yos going to swedish house mafia pissed and banging to the heavens.

some perspective please.

Yeah perspective, at every concert there's anti-social behavior. And from my experience it's the middle aged people who don't get out much who drink too much and can't control their bladder, but because they get pissed in a pub wearing a cowboy hat instead of topless in a field, it's written off as "the craic"

I still reckon they would find a way. May not be above board but they would.

Ennis road lads would be grand, they would welcome Gareth with open arms and a bag of cans :p

Few cans of Dutch might do him.good before the show! :p
    Sure the boys would have great craic showing the daughter molly's too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Don't know what to do. There are tickets on ticketmaster for the Sunday night. Afraid that if i buy them and something happens to save the Tuesday night that i'll be left with two lots of tickets.

Does anyone know likely is it that something will happen to allow the Monday & Tuesday night to go ahead?

shoppergal wrote: »
    Don't know what to do. There are tickets on ticketmaster for the Sunday night. Afraid that if i buy them and something happens to save the Tuesday night that i'll be left with two lots of tickets.

Does anyone know likely is it that something will happen to allow the Monday & Tuesday night to go ahead?

The Tuesday is gone, if it's reset new tickets will have to be bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm reading this in dismay. To everyone who is losing out because their date is cancelled, I'm sorry. But as someone who spends between 3 and 5 nights a week living in the area around Croke Park, I'm delighted. Residents accept that GAA matches happen. Residents accept three concerts a year. But to have five concerts - in a row, with three on weeknights - is ridiculous. On a day that something happens in Croke Park I can't move the car after about noon, because there will be no parking space when I return. I can't get a train, because the train station is completely full. Buses are stopped at both sides of Clonliffe Road to pick up and drop off people going to and from the events.

I'm sorry you're missing out on a concert that you're looking forward to, I really am. But if the GAA and Aiken had listened to residents requests (which weren't a lot, the main one was that the concerts be changed to Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Friday/Saturday), things would have been a lot easier.

(Also, you should get a full refund back from Irish Rail because of how far in advance you're cancelling. Good luck to anyone getting refunds)

none of which counters my argument that holding the bookings is nothing more than greed.

It does. Why should they give up their takings when they gave the buyer EVERY CHANCE to cover themselves if such an event happened? They've acted correctly, it's the buyer who felt the need to take the risk rather than shelling out €10-20 on the insurance in case this happened.

If they give back the money then there's really no point in having the 2 different rates in the first place.

You're being a bit innocent if you're expecting businesses which, having done nothing wrong, and having put the correct procedures in place, are going to hand back money knowing that most of those rooms are more than likely going to remain empty at this stage.

Wise up. Everyone has the right to run a business and make a profit, and so long as they didn't shaft people by giving them no insurance option, then I've no issue with the hotels. They're the least of the issues in the matter.

shoppergal wrote: »

I wouldnt bother, nights 1-3 will soon be cancelled. Probably due to a combination of the contract being breached, Aiken going bust and the residents going to court anyway. Do not throw good money after bad.

I wouldnt bother, nights 1-3 will soon be cancelled. Probably due to a combination of the contract being breached, Aiken going bust and the residents going to court anyway. Do not throw good money after bad.

I would imagine the first 3 will definitely go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What sydthebeat says completely counters your argument that the hotels just hand the bookings back and that they are being greedy if they do not.

Hotels are not charities - they are a business, to make money to pay for staff, and hopefully reward the owners handsomely. It is not greed. To make money would be the primary reason why people work, and behind the brinks and mortar of a hotel building are such people.

Same with Ryanair or any similar service providers - if in the case of airlines, your flight is cancelled and you decided that you take the risk and not book travel insurance, then you lose out financially. But the decision was yours not to book the insurance. Same with hotels. One could have paid the extra for a refundable booking, but they made a calculated decision not too - on the basis of risk. And now it has backfired.

People make decisions every day based on risk, much of which has to do with financial implications – buying shares, buying property, various insurances. Some people take chances, some are more conservative. If someone makes a risky decision and it does not work out for them, then they cannot expect some other party to pick up the tab - irrespective of the sympathetic circumstances.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    It does. Why should they give up their takings when they gave the buyer EVERY CHANCE to cover themselves if such an event happened? They've acted correctly, it's the buyer who felt the need to take the risk rather than shelling out €10-20 on the insurance in case this happened.

If they give back the money then there's really no point in having the 2 different rates in the first place.

You're being a bit innocent if you're expecting businesses which, having done nothing wrong, and having put the correct procedures in place, are going to hand back money knowing that most of those rooms are more than likely going to remain empty at this stage.

Wise up. Everyone has the right to run a business and make a profit, and so long as they didn't shaft people by giving them no insurance option, then I've no issue with the hotels. They're the least of the issues in the matter.

are you telling me that the hotels, who would have hiked their prices originally because of demand, and now have the opportunity to receive payment "on the double" for each room not used.... are not guilty of greed???

that insurance rate (not only being extortinate!) could have meant the difference between a booking and not.

theres good business sense, and then theres good will.
    Without these concerts these rooms would have been at a certain rate and would have struggled to be filled.
    They are having their windfall ANYWAY.
    Why should they be out of pocket
    if you think they are LOSING money, its you who needs to wise up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm reading this in dismay. To everyone who is losing out because their date is cancelled, I'm sorry. But as someone who spends between 3 and 5 nights a week living in the area around Croke Park, I'm delighted. Residents accept that GAA matches happen. Residents accept three concerts a year. But to have five concerts - in a row, with three on weeknights - is ridiculous. On a day that something happens in Croke Park I can't move the car after about noon, because there will be no parking space when I return. I can't get a train, because the train station is completely full. Buses are stopped at both sides of Clonliffe Road to pick up and drop off people going to and from the events.

I'm sorry you're missing out on a concert that you're looking forward to, I really am. But if the GAA and Aiken had listened to residents requests (which weren't a lot, the main one was that the concerts be changed to Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Friday/Saturday), things would have been a lot easier.

(Also, you should get a full refund back from Irish Rail because of how far in advance you're cancelling. Good luck to anyone getting refunds)

Think many of the 160,000 don't really care about the residents to be honest and I would imagine that there will be a certain element of disdain shown by people to the residents as result on the other 3 nights of the concerts.

Alot of sourness at the moment

Hotels are not charities - they are a business, to make money to pay for staff, and hopefully reward the owners handsomely.

as i said above... the hotel ALREADY have their windfall with the 3 nights.
    They are already making superprofits due to the allowed concerts.

the refusals will revert them back to their normal course of business, normal standard profits, normal costs of wages etc.

business does NOT have to equate to greed.

are you telling me that the hotels, who would have hiked their prices originally because of demand, and now have the opportunity to receive payment "on the double" for each room not used.... are not guilty of greed???

that insurance rate (not only being extortinate!) could have meant the difference between a booking and not.

theres good business sense, and then theres good will.
    Without these concerts these rooms would have been at a certain rate and would have struggled to be filled.
    They are having their windfall ANYWAY.

if you think they are LOSING money, its you who needs to wise up.

Hahaha good luck in life if this is your attitude. Fight the power! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

CTYIgirl wrote: »

This +1

Well said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement