Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Aviva should take full advantage of this situation and start drawing up agreements to hold a larger amount of concerts with the locals and pull this business out of the Croke Park completely

Everytime there are concerts in CP the residents moan about and I heard on Joe Duffy that 2500 people work in CP for the gigs and a large amount are the locals themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

shoppergal wrote: »
    Don't know what to do. There are tickets on ticketmaster for the Sunday night. Afraid that if i buy them and something happens to save the Tuesday night that i'll be left with two lots of tickets.

Does anyone know likely is it that something will happen to allow the Monday & Tuesday night to go ahead?

Not a hope for monday and tuesday.

Go for sunday tickets nevermind the comment saying the first three will be cancelled as well....Even if it does, you will get a refund. It wont come to it. The council satisfied the residents. GB wont pull out of the gigs, no way he will do that to his fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Hahaha good luck in life if this is your attitude. Fight the power! :rolleyes:

with this attitude its not me who needs luck going through life....

keep your shoulder to the wheel......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not a hope for monday and tuesday.

Go for sunday tickets nevermind the comment saying the first three will be cancelled as well....Even if it does, you will get a refund. It wont come to it. The council satisfied the residents. GB wont pull out of the gigs, no way he will do that to his fans.

Trust me, if aiken try to pull out of paying Garth for all 5 gigs, you'll see a Stetson hat shaped hole in the wall he'll bail that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

GAA and Aiken were well aware of the agreement and the 3 concert rule.

They were greedy.

They thought they could get away with it, possibly by giving a sweetener (tiny percentage of the profits from the extra 2 shows) to the residents association.

Did they think they were above the law?

It should be interesting to see what provisions were in Aiken's contract with Garth Brooks. Maybe Garth Brooks will pursue Aiken for breach of contract?

Although the tickets had the small print "subject to licence" on them, concert goers bought these tickets in good faith and were not aware of the potential dispute. The promoters should act in a decent manner and offer some form of compensation in addition to a full refund as a good will gesture. But will they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Is it not a little bit surreal that you can still buy tickets for the Tuesday night show on Ticketmaster?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Garth Brooks is an American country music singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If Brooks cancelled all 5 gigs, where would people's fury be directed at - Brooks himself or GAA/Aikens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

My guess DCC and / or residents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

If Brooks cancelled all 5 gigs, where would people's fury be directed at - Brooks himself or GAA/Aikens.
    The residents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

So, what if the residents were given some kind of sweetener?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

In the past they were always given sweeteners, sounds like this time they asked for too much and DCC called their bluff and told them to go f themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

like €500,000 wasn't enough of a sweetener?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What (or how much) do you suggest would be a suitable sweetener?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

They don't want and never asked for compo. A fund of €500,000 was recommended and rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I would hope that the lesson learnt is actually on the side of the promoters in having all your planning requirements signed off before selling tickets.

(But that's unlikely to happen)

That's why I wrote a lesson, not the lesson. There are many lessons to be learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Had to come here and get away from the "howaya brigade" on facebook who are saying that the people knew where they were buying there houses so tough.

Sad little people

Shedite27 wrote: »
    In the past they were always given sweeteners, sounds like this time they asked for too much and DCC called their bluff and told them to go f themselves.

I have no idea what point your trying to male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as i said above... the hotel ALREADY have their windfall with the 3 nights.
    They are already making superprofits due to the allowed concerts.

the refusals will revert them back to their normal course of business, normal standard profits, normal costs of wages etc.

business does NOT have to equate to greed.

There was a report the other day that Irish people book their hotels (abroad) 90 days in advance of their trip on average. Why should the hotels not take the payments for these when the chances of a replacement booking are so slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Shedite27 wrote: »

Didn't know....
    miju wrote: »
    like €500,000 wasn't enough of a sweetener?

As above
    OldGoat wrote: »
    What (or how much) do you suggest would be a suitable sweetener?

I don't know. Tickets for the Tuesday show? :pac:

I just though it's a bit of an unique (if not totally unprecedented) situation. We have a global superstar and hundreds (if not thousands) of people behind the scenes committed to making 2 concerts happen on those Mon and Tues nights. You have 160,000 fans wanting to go. You have hundreds of hotels and local businesses who will profit from the extra business. Never mind the logistics of changing everything at this relatively late stage.

Then on the other hand, you have the residents against it - and I can fully understand their concerns too. To me, it would make more sense to work out some kind of compensation if the residents were willing to let it go ahead, rather than face the huge costs and disappointment involved in cancelling - but as I said above, I didn't know this had already been motioned.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    They don't want and never asked for compo. A fund of €500,000 was recommended and rejected.

My point is moot then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

because its middle aged crowd on a monday and tuesday night going to garth brooks....

not a bunch of 15-16 yos going to swedish house mafia pissed and banging to the heavens.

some perspective please.

gaa should organize 3 nights in a row of SHM next year just as a f'k you. Then they'll know what anti social behaviour is! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There was a report the other day that Irish people book their hotels (abroad) 90 days in advance of their trip on average. Why should the hotels not take the payments for these when the chances of a replacement booking are so slim?

the hotels are not abroad???? whats your point?

stooge wrote: »
    gaa should organize 3 nights in a row of SHM next year just as a f'k you. Then they'll know what anti social behaviour is! :pac:
    Completely agree, croker will never host another gig when they go bankrupt from not selling 210,000 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

because its middle aged crowd on a monday and tuesday night going to garth brooks....

not a bunch of 15-16 yos going to swedish house mafia pissed and banging to the heavens.

some perspective please.

The same mid aged crowd that go to GAA games fall out of a pub 10mins before throw in and piss and puke in peoples gardens walking up Clonliffe Road ??

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

If airlines are not allowed to sell tickets for new routes till they get permission to fly these routes, and developers arent allowed to sell apartments till planning permission is granted, then how come there are no rules or laws governing the sale of hundreds of thousands of concert tickets ?? What if the money has already been siphoned away to various individuals/companies and the promoters turn around and declare incolvency?? What protection do consumers have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

That's what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Completely agree, croker will never host another gig when they go bankrupt from not selling 210,000 tickets.

Whats your point here? You want Croke Park to never host a gig again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Idiotic GAA and Aiken to chance their arm with the 5 shows, firmly come back to bite them now. Some of the people, here and on other media, showing ire towards the residents really need a sense of perspective. All the talk of 'surely something can be worked out', this fell on the shoulders of the people who planned all this, and they firmly ****ed it all up.

It's also a load of nonsense to say it's 'only middle aged crowd'. 80,000 of anything every night is going to be an inconvenience to the people who actually live there, this is x 5 then again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Aviva should take full advantage of this situation and start drawing up agreements to hold a larger amount of concerts with the locals and pull this business out of the Croke Park completely

Everytime there are concerts in CP the residents moan about and I heard on Joe Duffy that 2500 people work in CP for the gigs and a large amount are the locals themselves

oh yeah and i can see the residents down there biting - wake up mate, they live with football/irfu and the odd gig, they have the rds up the road too, they would never agree and rightly so!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

€20m loss for the economy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement