Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

That's what you think.

No thats what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Tilikum wrote: »
    €20m loss for the economy.

The people can spend their refunded money anyway, the hotels can drop their prices , Garth will be taking less money out of the country.

sorted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

My input towards that is my middle finger up on my left hand and two fingers up on my right hand .

the agreement was 3 shows and they continued to put on a further 5 with garth, so fcuk right off now , tired of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I have no idea what point your trying to male.
    Think my post is fairly self explanitory (3481).

Poster asked "why not give them a sweetener". I pointed out that they were offered one (as they always are), but they wanted more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

nm wrote: »
    Whats your point here? You want Croke Park to never host a gig again?
    My point? Yeah if you were dumb enough to put on 3 night's of concerts with an act that wouldn't sell out half a concert, you shouldn't be allowed have gigs.

What's yours, People complained so we should unleash 20,000 yoked up strangers on them?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think my post is fairly self explanitory (3481).

Poster asked "why not give them a sweetener". I pointed out that they were offered one (as they always are), but they wanted more.
    A raffle to buy tickets is a sweetener now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If Brooks cancelled all 5 gigs, where would people's fury be directed at - Brooks himself or GAA/Aikens.
    Or the gardai. It was no secret the concerts were planned so should they not have been vigilante rather than waiting for a complaint to kick them into action.

This is presuming the claim what they did was illegal was true
    miju wrote: »
    like €500,000 wasn't enough of a sweetener?
    I wondered how this would be dished out to them, where is the cut off line etc.
    €20m loss for the economy.
    A lot of that going to publicans & hotel owners. Where if the claim of it being illegal is true there is a possible fine of €12million. I would rather see this 12m going to the government than €20m to "the economy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

My point? Yeah if you were dumb enough to put on 3 night's of concerts with an act that wouldn't sell out half a concert, you shouldn't be allowed have gigs.

What's yours, People complained so we should unleash 20,000 yoked up strangers on them?

I'm sure he was joking when he suggested SHM for 3 nights at Croker, not sure if you followed him, you seem a bit confused.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Or the gardai. It was no secret the concerts were planned so should they not have been vigilante rather than waiting for a complaint to kick them into action.

This is presuming the claim what they did was illegal was true

I wondered how this would be dished out to them, where is the cut off line etc.

A lot of that going to publicans & hotel owners. Where if the claim of it being illegal is true there is a possible fine of €12million. I would rather see this 12m going to the government than €20m to "the economy"

The hotel owners will probably still get most of theirs, the fine isn't going to help the 140,000 people this has put out.

Whether Aikens were right or wrong in the first place, this outcome is definitely the possibly worst case scenario for the vast, vast VAST majority of those effected.

Putting out a huge majority to suit a tiny minority. There should have been a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

The hotel owners will probably still get most of theirs, the fine isn't going to help the 140,000 people this has put out.

Whether Aikens were right or wrong in the first place, this outcome is definitely the possibly worst case scenario for the vast, vast VAST majority of those effected.

Putting out a huge majority to suit a tiny minority. There should have been a better solution.
    Lets scrap planning laws.................

Don't announce, promote and sell tickets to an event you don't have a license for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Don't announce, promote and sell tickets to an event you don't have a license for?

Promoters wouldn't be able to put on any outdoor events in Ireland in that case.

Bit late for that as a viable solution unless you have a time machine.

And as has been said a million times already, subject to licence advance ticketing is common practice. It didn't just happen here to annoy the residents of the Croke Park area.

Maybe that should change going forward, but this was still the worst possible solution for these gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I bought two tickets for the Sunday night off two separate people on adverts.ie.

If they were to cancel all 5 concerts, I wouldn't get any money back I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I bought two tickets for the Sunday night off two separate people on adverts.ie.

Not at all, the sellers would though had they bought them online

A raffle to buy tickets is a sweetener now is it?
    Ah hear, you know full well there was an official offer of half a mil to the residents (which was a lot more than previous sweetners).

From what I hear, the residents said they wanted more, GAA told them no, residents complained to DCC about the gigs, DCC denied planning permission, 2 gigs cancelled.

Please don't reply with another "What's your point" hynsie, it's getting dull

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

A V A wrote: »
    the agreement was 3 shows and they continued to put on a further 5 with garth, so fcuk right off now , tired of this

Maybe you should get facts straightened out a little bit better :P:P:P

Last time a concert offered refunds (Bon Jovi at Slane), the person in possesion of the tickets had to bring them to a ticketmaster outlet to get the refund. So if you have hard copies, you're laughing, if you have e-tickets you have the same risk you had when ya thought the gig was going ahead (that the person selling you has made multiple copies).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the hotels are not abroad???? whats your point?

My point is that people book their holidays in advance, I used a reported example of 90 days, then qualified it by saying it was abroad. Do you think only Irish people book this far in advance or that only Irish people stay in Dublin?

I'll make it simple for you so that you can understand. With 3 weeks to go to the concerts it will be difficult for the hotel owners to get replacement bookings. Therefore they shouldn't be expected to refund people who booked their hotels on a non-refundable basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

They're not going ahead.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-press-and-news-read-press-release-press-releases-2014/garth-brooks-outdoor-event

Download the whole Garth Brooks Outdoor Event Decision

No. 17 on page 4
    No private helicopters for filming purposes.

No dvd... Its his comeback special.

I'd be surprised if GB would even go through with it. If they cant capture it from above. ???

Ah hear, you know full well there was an official offer of half a mil to the residents (which was a lot more than previous sweetners).

From what I hear, the residents said they wanted more, GAA told them no, residents complained to DCC about the gigs, DCC denied planning permission, 2 gigs cancelled.

Not gonna ask what's your point, am gonna ask for some proof since the independent mediator said that the residents never asked for or mentioned compensation? So how high up is the bloke in the pub who told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The residents complained long before Kieran Mulvey came up with the recommendation of a €500k legacy fund.
    The residents have never asked for any compensation, never mind going to the GAA for "more". The promoter is Aiken anyway.

You may believe your post, but it's incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the fine isn't going to help the 140,000 people this has put out.
    It won't help them this time, but in future I would hope promotors think twice about selling tickets, and therefore it will benefit people in future concerts who will hopefully be more confident about buying tickets if there is stricter regulations.
    JJ wrote: »
    Promoters wouldn't be able to put on any outdoor events in Ireland in that case.
    Why is this? Am I missing something which makes it impossible? do you need to have sold tickets before you can apply for a licence or something? Or do you mean they would just find it easier not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

They're not going ahead.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-press-and-news-read-press-release-press-releases-2014/garth-brooks-outdoor-event

Download the whole Garth Brooks Outdoor Event Decision

No. 17 on page 4
    No private helicopters for filming purposes.

No dvd... Its his comeback special.

I'd be surprised if GB would even go through with it. If they cant capture it from above. ???

GoPro on a remot control drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm delighted Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. That will stop all the people who just jumped on the bandwagon going. And all the fans who queued for ages get to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm delighted Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. That will stop all the people who just jumped on the bandwagon going. And all the fans who queued for ages get to see him.

Yes, because we all know the true fans go Fri/Sat/Sun and Mon and Tues are only for pretenders.

:rolleyes:

I don't know how someone who's willing to buy tickets at €60+ each is jumping on a bandwagon. And I also don't know how you know that all 'true' fans could make it at the weekend dates, and none are going Mon or Tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's not a tiny majority, even though that phrase is used quite a bit.

The survey Croke Park sent out was to 27,000 households, and while not all of them would be considered in the same way, it's certainly not a tiny minority.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My point is that people book their holidays in advance, I used a reported example of 90 days, then qualified it by saying it was abroad. Do you think only Irish people book this far in advance or that only Irish people stay in Dublin?

I'll make it simple for you so that you can understand. With 3 weeks to go to the concerts it will be difficult for the hotel owners to get replacement bookings. Therefore they shouldn't be expected to refund people who booked their hotels on a non-refundable basis.

you used a statistic to describe how irish people book hotels abroad..... completely irrelevent to this argument.

the hotels have almost 4 weeks to replace these bookings, in july, at the height of the tourist season. If they want to fill the rooms they can offer them at an attractive rate seeing as they will be making super-profits for the three nights beforehand.

its quite simple... basic economics.

Im not arguing what the hotels have to do, what they are required to do etc, im arguing what they should do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement