Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm delighted Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. That will stop all the people who just jumped on the bandwagon going. And all the fans who queued for ages get to see him.

Well as a fan for a good many years, I couldn't get tickets for the first concerts. Managed for the Tuesday. So thank you for your delight.

So I know this is my first post, but I've been reading this forum since the dates were announced and found it quite helpful. I do have a few questions if people wouldn't mind me asking?

But first things first, is this actually official now? Or is it still speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Steven71 wrote: »
    Well as a fan for a good many years, I couldn't get tickets for the first concerts. Managed for the Tuesday. So thank you for your delight.

So I know this is my first post, but I've been reading this forum since the dates were announced and found it quite helpful. I do have a few questions if people wouldn't mind me asking?

But first things first, is this actually official now? Or is it still speculation?

100% official, licenses have not bbeen granted for the Monday and Tuesday. Anything about gigs being moved, other nights being cancelled.... Is currently speculative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The two days cancelled? Rock solid fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Hi sorry, not a huge Garth Brooks fan or going to the concerts, but what is happening to you guys is absolutely ridiculous. how the GAA, in good knowledge of the 2009 agreement gave permission for Aiken to go ahed with the concert is unbelievable. There could be 140,000 people let down by this farce. I can only feel for you guys and I hope something is worked out , whether it be aiken negotiating with MCD to put on the two shows in the Aviva over three nights or a turn around in the decision from the City Council. Good luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think you need to read the forum more carefully!! 3530 posts in and you're wondering is this just a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is there an opening for venues in other parts of Ireland to put on two gigs? Like Springsteen

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is there an opening for venues in other parts of Ireland to put on two gigs? Like Springsteen

Nothing to do with an opening, the law says you have to apply for an events license 10 weeks in advance, so unless they wanna have 2 outdoor concerts in September, that's a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

In the RTE article it says there isn't likely to be time to do that. It mentions that the Aviva was considered. Is there even anywhere else big enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yes, because we all know the true fans go Fri/Sat/Sun and Mon and Tues are only for pretenders.

:rolleyes:

I don't know how someone who's willing to buy tickets at €60+ each is jumping on a bandwagon. And I also don't know how you know that all 'true' fans could make it at the weekend dates, and none are going Mon or Tues.

I didn't mention the word true in my post. And the Monday and Tuesday tickets would have been mostly people jumping on the bandwagon. The amount of tickets for sale before now for Mon and Tues was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Very few venues would have the capacity though. Odyssey in Belfast will only take 11,000 for example. And most venues may be booked up at this point.

The only way I can see this working is if they book some outdoor venue and hold a festival type setup where any ticket for Croke park gets you in. A stage could be rigged together and transport/parking worked out, but logistically it's still a nightmare though, and wouldn't be much good for people needing seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I didn't mention the word true in my post. And the Monday and Tuesday tickets would have been mostly people jumping on the bandwagon. The amount of tickets for sale before now for Mon and Tues was crazy.

I still don't understand how anyone can be 'delighted' at this news. It's something I've noticed today in FB and other forums, there seems to be a handful of people rubbing their hands in salacious glee and taking great delight in all this.

Why be delighted when most people are losing out?
    • Fans are losing out musically
    • Some fans will be out a lot of money
    • The local economy is losing out
    • The promoters and organisers are losing out
    • It looks poor for Ireland as a whole and Garth Brooks may well be wishing he'd looked to another more flexible country for his comeback!

What exactly is there to be delighted about? Unless you enjoy the misfortune of others?

The only people benefiting from this are the residents who get 2 extra nights peace and quiet, and the touts who profit from refunds which they won't forward on to the people who bought tickets off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Gareth will definitely have friends in low places in Ireland if he cancels all concerts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm delighted Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. That will stop all the people who just jumped on the bandwagon going. And all the fans who queued for ages get to see him.

Heard they'll only be allowing in those true fans that also bought the Chris Gaines album.
    Be sure to bring yours for inspection on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

More than delighted that Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. :):)

the absolute parasites that come out at things like this is bad enough for three days but for 5 days in a row, is just taking the p*ss for any of the residents around croke park

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Aiken Promotions
    Aiken Promotions are very disappointed with Today's decision and we will issue a statement in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

im totally neutral. the facts as i see them....

there was a deal in place, and it should have been respected.

the GAA and Aiken totally disregarded the residents.

the residents were totally entitled to object to this. (whats the point of having a deal if its ignored?)

however.....

now gb fans lose out,

now the city loses valuable income

a total cluster**** (subject to license is an archaic way of doing things!)

a possible resolution, the residents withdraw their objections and allow the concerts to go ahead, the gaa and aiken reciprocate by never dicking around again. only happen in a perfect world alas, but its doable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

A V A wrote: »
    More than delighted that Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled. :):)

the absolute parasites that come out at things like this is bad enough for three days but for 5 days in a row, is just taking the p*ss for any of the residents around croke park

Are you calling me a parasite for buying tickets to a concert?

Think about your answer before replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

wow... what an idiotic thing to say!!!

I would assume being a fan for at least 20 years, cancelling my honeymoon and flying all the way to las vegas to see this man and spending thousands and thousands of euros doing so would mean that I am a fan

But like you said...... as we queued for hours, had over 8 devices in 4 separate locations and just got no tickets for Friday/Saturday/sunday but got none....... must mean we are just jumping on the band wagon

The mind really does wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

what begrudgery here by some, beggars belief does some
    of these posts

not sure anything good can come of this but for me the
    only good point is that the hotels who ripped off people to
    the tune of a few hundred a night are the ones who lose out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    The residents complained long before Kieran Mulvey came up with the recommendation of a €500k legacy fund.
    The residents have never asked for any compensation, never mind going to the GAA for "more". The promoter is Aiken anyway.

You may believe your post, but it's incorrect.
    The residents get "compensation" every time a concert is held at Croker (source: GAAconomics). They usually take the money and are happy, this time they saw the $$$ signs and wanted more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Amanda7326 wrote: »

The mind really does wonder!
    'But isn't that what minds do', wondered the kidney....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just an FYI...

http://ticketmasterie.inbenta.com/?f=414&tm_link=tm_homeA_news1

Under Top 10.
    Can I have a refund or exchange on my tickets?
    We regret that we cannot exchange, refund or transfer tickets unless the event in question has been cancelled or rescheduled. This is part of Ticketmaster's Purchase Policy customers agree to when purchasing tickets.
    Bord Gais Energy Theatre: The Bord Gais Energy Theatre will on occasion allow a change of date or time for shows running for one week or more. Please note this is subject the availability and terms and conditions. If your booking is made with the theatre you must contact them directly to process any exchanges.

I guess not granting a license would constitute "Cancelled" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Muppet Man wrote: »

I guess not granting a license would constitute "Cancelled" ?

Not necessarily. If the license hadn't been granted then the concert is technically provisional on a condition. In other words, it has to be absolutely 'on' before it can be called 'off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

According to RTE news this evening, Aiken promotions can not confirm if the other 3 shows will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I love the way people are championing the cause of the poor hotels which are the same hotels that skyrocketed their prices and ripped off said same folks when GB was announced.

An incredibly intrinsic Irish trait to be able to do that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

RTE news have just said the promoters told them they have spoken to garth brooks and he "cannot guarantee the other 3 will go ahead, and that a different venue is not an option".............eekkkkkkk

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The residents get "compensation" every time a concert is held at Croker (source: GAAconomics). They usually take the money and are happy, this time they saw the $$$ signs and wanted more.

Seriously, have you got anything to back this up? So they turned down the recommended fund, asked for more (off who?) and when the gaa said no the DCC cancelled the gigs. Or did they ask the DCC for a bribe to withdraw their objections?

Don't fall off your barstool when your finding the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

I think you need to read the forum more carefully!! 3530 posts in and you're wondering is this just a Bobby Ewing in the shower moment.
    I don't understand a word of that.... I was asking if it's official, just wondering if this was a case of mainstream media getting hold of this story. As we know on this forum, there has been talk of licensing not being granted etc since the shows were announced.

As for people calling fans parasites and being delighted because the final two concerts are cancelled because we are not true fans....oh please get a grip! I along with many others I'm sure tried for days to get tickets for each date that was released. Only when the Tuesday was released could I get some. Am I disappointed? Sure, but it's not the end of the world, I'm sure I'll catch him when the tour starts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Garth is going to cancel all the shows.

Damn it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I still don't understand how anyone can be 'delighted' at this news.

Count me as delighted.

Why? Because right is right, Aiken should not have done what they done and they will have to deal with the consequences. I know this country is full of gob****es chancing their arm but more decisions like this will hopefully force Irish companies to try a little professionalism and do things right.

There was an agreement in place, Aiken tried to run roughshod over it and they have been called on their rubbish. Darn right I'm delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement