Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if the two that were granted licences are cancelled then the subject to license thing wont count
    so there would be big trouble

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tigger wrote: »
    if the twothree that were granted licences are cancelled then the subject to license thing wont count
    so there would be big trouble

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Seriously, have you got anything to back this up? So they turned down the recommended fund, asked for more (off who?) and when the gaa said no the DCC cancelled the gigs. Or did they ask the DCC for a bribe to withdraw their objections?

Don't fall off your barstool when your finding the answer.
    Yes they get 120k a year from gaa and had been happy to pay an extra 500k as a one off for these but they wanted more Let's be honest they have 6 still going ahead What's another 2 now then stop any for a few years I'd hope the place falls to sh*t up there then take the 120k yearly payoff away and know that hand ball alley that started all this stuff they made their bed now lie on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Isco wrote: »
    Hi sorry, not a huge Garth Brooks fan or going to the concerts, but what is happening to you guys is absolutely ridiculous. how the GAA, in good knowledge of the 2009 agreement gave permission for Aiken to go ahed with the concert is unbelievable. There could be 140,000 people let down by this farce. I can only feel for you guys and I hope something is worked out , whether it be aiken negotiating with MCD to put on the two shows in the Aviva over three nights or a turn around in the decision from the City Council. Good luck guys!

Thank you for your lovely message. This is what I was rattling on about for so long over in the after hours. I don't work or have any involvement with croker or aiken and know feck all in relation to concert events. I see that there are the promoters who organises the events and these are the middle men between the act, the venue and the tickets/fans.

What ever sort of ??? are with croke park in relation to an agreement, it's a huge possibilty that aiken didn't know anything about an agreement when this all began. I see that any issues they have are in relation to croke park are part and parcel of living beside a stadium. Why drag people caught in the middle who have no involvement with an agreement down?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

By the way, people keeping thowing this €500,000 figure around as if the residents were greedy fools not to snap it up.

It was said earlier that there are 27000 residents affected. Have those people not tried dividing 27000 into 500,000?

€18.50 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

I understand the concerns of the residents, and they did have a deal with the GAA which the GAA should have stuck to... but really feel sorry for the fans, especially those who were travelling from abroad and who as well as being disappointed will have lost a lot of money.

What I can't understand is why was it left till this late to make a decision?? Surely the DCC should have made a decision much sooner, after all how long have they know about these concerts? Was it that they had to wait for an application to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What ever sort of ??? are with croke park in relation to an agreement, it's a huge possibilty that aiken didn't know anything about an agreement when this all began.

Behave yourself.

I know nothing about concerts and even I knew there could be only so many concerts in Croke park. If the promoter didn't know it then they are criminally negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am speechless - only in Ireland would this happen, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Tickets for these concerts went on sale back in Jan
    with the second batch a week later on the 6th of
    feb. That very evening it was in the news that
    some residents were not happy and the next day
    some papers ran the story residents are
    considering an injunction. Why drag that threat out for so long? Ye could have gone in feb for an
    injunction against the venue and the promoter to
    cease all plans going forward in relation to the
    garth brooks concerts at croke park. The lid on the
    coffin would have been closed then in relation to
    the concerts at croke park. It would have kept the door open for aiken promotions to find an
    alternative venue to hold the concerts or worst
    came to the worst, to cancel early. Trying to cause
    as much trouble and damage for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

MelachiT wrote: »
    I understand the concerns of the residents, and they did have a deal with the GAA which the GAA should have stuck to... but really feel sorry for the fans, especially those who were travelling from abroad and who as well as being disappointed will have lost a lot of money.

What I can't understand is why was it left till this late to make a decision?? Surely the DCC should have made a decision much sooner, after all how long have they know about these concerts? Was it that they had to wait for an application to be made?

The real question is why are they allowed sell tickets before they even get licences for these concerts? Trying to do 8 concerts at Croke Park in one year is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes they get 120k a year from gaa and had been happy to pay an extra 500k as a one off for these but they wanted more Let's be honest they have 6 still going ahead What's another 2 now then stop any for a few years I'd hope the place falls to sh*t up there then take the 120k yearly payoff away and know that hand ball alley that started all this stuff they made their bed now lie on it!

How did they want more, please provide proof.

120k, whats that a fiver a house?

The handball alley the gaa wanted to rip down and replace with one that competitive handball can't be played in?

Tickets for these concerts went on sale back in Jan
    with the second batch a week later on the 6th of
    feb. That very evening it was in the news that
    some residents were not happy and the next day
    some papers ran the story residents are
    considering an injunction. Why drag that threat out for so long? Ye could have gone in feb for an
    injunction against the venue and the promoter to
    cease all plans going forward in relation to the
    garth brooks concerts at croke park. The lid on the
    coffin would have been closed then in relation to
    the concerts at croke park. It would have kept the door open for aiken promotions to find an
    alternative venue to hold the concerts or worst
    came to the worst, to cancel early. Trying to cause
    as much trouble and damage for all involved.
    Because until today, these concerts did not exist. How can you get an injunction against something that hasn't been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

So ye know - that compensation fund was for projects in the area, not for individual residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The real question is why are they allowed sell tickets before they even get licences for these concerts? Trying to do 8 concerts at Croke Park in one year is ridiculous

I might do it meself.

Let's see, 60000 tickets at 80 quid each times five nights......

Nice one! 24 million quid! I'll give it back of course, but let's say I advertise the concerts for next year, deposit the 24000000 in a high interest deposit a/c at 2%...?

Even nicer one! €480000 profit. Even when I pay the DIRT, I'll have mde a bundle of cash for doing very little.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Mr.S wrote: »
    Every concert / outdoor event etc is sold subject to getting a license pretty much.

Aiken explains it here

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0703/20609352-peter-aiken-of-aiken-promotions-reacts-to-garth-brooks-concert-cancellations/

It's a bit ridiculous when Croke Park has a normal limit of 3 though, I mean aren't they lucky to even get 3 concerts considering that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 otumelty

From that video, it sounds to me like brooks has said to aiken "get the other two nights sorted, or i'm not coming."

Far too hesitant when asked about the other three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

How did they want more, please provide proof.

120k, whats that a fiver a house?

The handball alley the gaa wanted to rip down and replace with one that competitive handball can't be played in?

Have family living up there and they aren't bothered by any of the concerts going ahead but they've said money would talk but not the amount that was talked about
    .. Not all residents are in it for the money no but most don't mind the concerts going ahead once thry have access to the road.

120k for the community not each house hold. . Seriously hope you weren't for real about the 18.50 a house like that would be even possible to share out ha.

Handball alley started all this as they brought up even tho it's a completely other issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

By the way, people keeping thowing this €500,000 figure around as if the residents were greedy fools not to snap it up.

It was said earlier that there are 27000 residents affected. Have those people not tried dividing 27000 into 500,000?

€18.50 each.

It wasn't a pay off to each house it was to be used to build facilities in the area for the community.

The fact that the residents actually reduced it down to this number of €18.50 yesterday or the day before to me shows they were just being money hungry scroungers looking for something for their own pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

also Aiken saying re the licensing system in ireland "thats the way its always been done". well the councils should change this procedure of not giving a license until after tickets are sold. most other countries in the world can do it, why are we so retarded? he briefly explained why because of stages and such being subject to planning laws. ah jaysus, we are cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Wow! I didn't think it would come to this. I may just cancel my trip now. I only have tix for Saturday, Monday & Tuesday, and was planning on getting the other nights over the next couple of weeks. Even if he does go ahead with Fri-Sun, the prices for those dates will surely skyrocket now that over 100K people will be looking for tickets to those shows.

Given that, and the cost to Garth to travel with everything, I can see it as quite possible the 3 nights will also get the boot.

Interesting position it puts Garth in. If he goes ahead with the 3, he'll piss off everyone who got tix for the last 2 and not the others, plus it will jack up the 3 shows resale prices, which he is vehemently opposed to.

I guess I'll wait a couple more days before deciding what to do. I may still use my flight to Europe, but just nix the side trip to Dublin. They have to do what they have to do, but my desire to support Dublin or Ireland has pretty much gone away. This will not only not help the Dublin economy, the bad press from around the world will probably hurt it. The only people happy will be the Croke Park residents, and even they are pissed since even 1 show by Garth exceeds their mandate established with the 1 Direction shows.

Looks like there are plenty of others with tickets to some of the shows who would not mind if they are all pulled. Just like me, they feel that Dublin does not deserve the revenue that would be generated from even 1 show, after this fiasco. Let them have a regular Dublin weekend, with no worldwide visitors to help their economy. And their economy is not exactly in good shape to begin with. Too bad. Cancel 'em all Garth, and do some shows here in the U.S. instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

so the other 3 concerts are not going ahead now? that's what i pretty much heard on rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't the 3 licensed concerts go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    so the other 3 concerts are not going ahead now? that's what i pretty much heard on rte.

No, what you heard was Peter Aiken stirring it, trying to deflect from his own incompetence. There's no way the remaining shows would be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Exactly.

The original plan was 3, anything above that (financially speaking for Garth/Aiken) was a bonus.

Why pull out now and blow the lot?

Unless it's simply posturing to try and force a change from the DCC regarding lost revenue.

Wow! I didn't think it would come to this. I may just cancel my trip now. I only have tix for Saturday, Monday & Tuesday, and was planning on getting the other nights over the next couple of weeks. Even if he does go ahead with Fri-Sun, the prices for those dates will surely skyrocket now that over 100K people will be looking for tickets to those shows.

Given that, and the cost to Garth to travel with everything, I can see it as quite possible the 3 nights will also get the boot.

Interesting position it puts Garth in. If he goes ahead with the 3, he'll piss off everyone who got tix for the last 2 and not the others, plus it will jack up the 3 shows resale prices, which he is vehemently opposed to.

I guess I'll wait a couple more days before deciding what to do. I may still use my flight to Europe, but just nix the side trip to Dublin. They have to do what they have to do, but my desire to support Dublin or Ireland has pretty much gone away. This will not only not help the Dublin economy, the bad press from around the world will probably hurt it. The only people happy will be the Croke Park residents, and even they are pissed since even 1 show by Garth exceeds their mandate established with the 1 Direction shows.

Looks like there are plenty of others with tickets to some of the shows who would not mind if they are all pulled. Just like me, they feel that Dublin does not deserve the revenue that would be generated from even 1 show, after this fiasco. Let them have a regular Dublin weekend, with no worldwide visitors to help their economy. And their economy is not exactly in good shape to begin with. Too bad. Cancel 'em all Garth, and do some shows here in the U.S. instead.

If Garth is so opposed to high resale prices, why wait until tickets were going for €1,000 each to announce the last 2 gigs?

No, what you heard was Peter Aiken stirring it, trying to deflect from his own incompetence. There's no way the remaining shows would be cancelled.

There is absolutely a way the remaining shows will be cancelled. Three reasons:

1. Garth has a HUGE expense to bring all the personnel and equipment overseas, and I'm sure he took into account that cost when establishing 5 shows. It will be a huge monetary loss for him now given that.

2. Garth HATES scalpers, and the prices for the 3 shows will now rise considerably, with over 100K additional people looking for tickets to the remaining nights which are already mostly sold out.

3. Garth does not want to piss of people that were coming for just the last shows, or were even coming for all 5 shows. He could just wipe his hands of the whole thing, put the blame on Dublin, Aiken & Croke Park, and just promise to come back next year for some proper shows, which will not include any at Croke Park.

If Garth is so opposed to high resale prices, why wait until tickets were going for €1,000 each to announce the last 2 gigs?

Because those high prices lasted for a few days. There was hardly any time between the 3 sellouts and announcing of the new shows. Only people who panicked and paid scalpers over those few days were screwed.

Doing it now will make the 3 nights golden, and result in high prices from now until the Sunday night. No way to prevent that, or the scalpers on the street who will make lots of dough on the dates of the shows, which would never have been the case if all 5 had taken place.

I say cancel 'em all, and I'll just skip Ireland on my trip to Europe. Just as well.

There is absolutely a way the remaining shows will be cancelled. Three reasons:

1. Garth has a HUGE expense to bring all the personnel and equipment overseas, and I'm sure he took into account that cost when establishing 5 shows. It will be a huge monetary loss for him now given that.

2. Garth HATES scalpers, and the prices for the 3 shows will now rise considerably, with over 100K additional people looking for tickets to the remaining nights which are already mostly sold out.

3. Garth does not want to piss of people that were coming for just the last shows, or were even coming for all 5 shows. He could just wipe his hands of the whole thing, put the blame on Dublin, Aiken & Croke Park, and just promise to come back next year for some proper shows, which will not include any at Croke Park.

all valid reasons in fairness. id say he has set up a production based on 5 nights. this is a disaster.

• Advertisement

I say cancel 'em all, and I'll just skip Ireland on my trip to Europe. Just as well.

ok we get the picture. you're not happy with ireland. no need to put the boot in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement