Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

There is absolutely a way the remaining shows will be cancelled. Three reasons:

1. Garth has a HUGE expense to bring all the personnel and equipment overseas, and I'm sure he took into account that cost when establishing 5 shows. It will be a huge monetary loss for him now given that.

2. Garth HATES scalpers, and the prices for the 3 shows will now rise considerably, with over 100K additional people looking for tickets to the remaining nights which are already mostly sold out.

3. Garth does not want to piss of people that were coming for just the last shows, or were even coming for all 5 shows. He could just wipe his hands of the whole thing, put the blame on Dublin, Aiken & Croke Park, and just promise to come back next year for some proper shows, which will not include any at Croke Park.
    1. The original agreement was for two shows, confirmed by Peter Aiken today, if Garth can make money out of two, he can make money out of three.

2. Announce more shows in Ireland at suitable venues on his World Tour, which was going to announced on the Friday of his first show anyway. Just bring the announcement forward.

3. In not wanting to piss people off he'd cancel all shows and piss everyone off? That is completely illogical. He's also never going to walk away leaving that money on the table.

On not working with Aiken again, I'd agree, he shouldn't have associated himself with Aiken promotions in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because those high prices lasted for a few days. There was hardly any time between the 3 sellouts and announcing of the new shows. Only people who panicked and paid scalpers over those few days were screwed.

Doing it now will make the 3 nights golden, and result in high prices from now until the Sunday night. No way to prevent that, or the scalpers on the street who will make lots of dough on the dates of the shows, which would never have been the case if all 5 had taken place.

I say cancel 'em all, and I'll just skip Ireland on my trip to Europe. Just as well.
    You yourself said that

1. Garth has a HUGE expense to bring all the personnel and equipment overseas, and I'm sure he took into account that cost when establishing 5 shows. It will be a huge monetary loss for him now given that.

So if Garth knew he was doing 5 shows, why not announce them off the bat? Could he in fact have created a build up of demand to sell more tickets? He does have a degree in marketing afterall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

Anyone know how to get a refund if you paid with prepaid visa card that has expired. It says they will only refund to the card that paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

james66 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get a refund if you paid with prepaid visa card that has expired. It says they will only refund to the card that paid.

That will be near impossible I'd imagine..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

emo72 wrote: »
    ok we get the picture. you're not happy with ireland. no need to put the boot in.

every need to put it in, this is the kind of reputational PR damage to Ireland that the townies around Croke Park have just foisted on the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You yourself said that

So if Garth knew he was doing 5 shows, why not announce them off the bat? Could he in fact have created a build up of demand to sell more tickets? He does have a degree in marketing afterall?

I think what the poster is saying is that the production was all planned after the 5 shows were announced, and that in thinking they had 5 shows to play with, they could plan an even larger show with an even bigger production because they could afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Aiken took a big gamble here and lost badly. Seriously misread the situation.
    Don't think his Dad would have been caught like this.

I think what the poster is saying is that the production was all planned after the 5 shows were announced, and that in thinking they had 5 shows to play with, they could plan an even larger show with an even bigger production because they could afford to.

The very first day, Garth was doing interviews saying "it's 2 for now, but if they want 5 we'll give them 5" and from the ffirst day there were rumors of a 3rd and 4th night. I find it hard to believe this wasn't the plan all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,548 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't the 3 licensed concerts go on?

Do they have the licence?

OD already had 3 concerts there and isn't it only 3 a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

miju wrote: »
    every need to put it in, this is the kind of reputational PR damage to Ireland that the scummy townies around Croke Park have just foisted on the country.
    Seeing as it was nudge nudge wink wink to most large planning applications in the last 20 years that lead to us needing a bailout, I think it is a very positive step for Ireland inc.
    It shows that we have turned a corner in actually implementing a planning decision without brown envelopes from big business.

The only ones upset are Garth Brooks fans. The likes of Google, Facebook, Intel, Microsoft etc etc have had a small reminder that Ireland is a little bit less corrupt than we were a decade ago. That's a reputational PR victory.

• Advertisement

every need to put it in, this is the kind of reputational PR damage to Ireland that the scummy townies around Croke Park have just foisted on the country.

Did the residents refuse the license.?
    Did they sell tickets for events without a license and then blame everyone else when we don't get it?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    The likes of Google, Facebook, Intel, Microsoft etc etc have had a small reminder that Ireland is a little bit less corrupt than we were a decade ago. That's a reputational PR victory.

Because thats how the outside world will view it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do they have the licence?

OD already had 3 concerts there and isn't it only 3 a year?

Where have you been all day? The 1D concerts had no bearing on.these.

Yes they have a license from Friday to Sunday.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Did the residents refuse the license.?
    Did they sell tickets for events without a license and then blame everyone else when we don't get it?

They are responsible yes for lodging 367 objections in total I believe (dont know if that includes / excludes the alleged forgeries)

And as for your second point read this post.

Just for the record herself has tickets for the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

agreed that there is damage done to our reputation. however i would lay the blame at aiken riding roughshod over the residents. everyone knew that there was restrictions over the amount of concerts, hell i even know that and im not a promoter. "scummy townies" tag you are trying to put on them is completely incorrect. you should withdraw that term.

They are responsible yes for lodging 367 objections in total I believe (dont know if that includes / excludes the alleged forgeries)

And as for your second point read this post.

Just for the record herself has tickets for the Sunday

But if the objection had no basis, it wouldn't have been entertained.

I read your post in ah (I assume that's what's linked) very well written. But still it's against the law. Just because everything's been done a certain way forever doesn't mean it's right.

I also have tickets to the Sunday.

emo72 wrote: »
    agreed that there is damage done to our reputation. however i would lay the blame at aiken riding roughshod over the residents. everyone knew that there was restrictions over the amount of concerts, hell i even know that and im not a promoter. "scummy townies" tag you are trying to put on them is completely incorrect. you should withdraw that term.

Being from close enough to the area and a Northsider , having worked in Fitzgibbon St and having friends who live in close proximity "scummy townies" is a very apt description I would use.

GAA / Aiken complied with all agreements, they have permission for 3 a year and everything else subject to license being granted so they done nothing wrong. Tickets have always been sold subject to license for any event over 5000 people in this country also.

Blame is very squarely with the residents and their hundreds of objections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

leahyl wrote: »
    I am speechless - only in Ireland would this happen, seriously.

That someone would organise 5 concerts without a licence knowing full well the accepted practice wrt to # concerts in the venue during the year?

Mr.S wrote: »
    it's standard practise here for the past gazillion years, every concert you've been to has more then likely been sold that way.

after today i would now have the opinion that it is a bad system. any concert can be refused permission. think the system has thrown up an anomoly today that could happen again if there was enough opposition to it.

licencing must change? im sure everyone agrees with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I don't have any problem with the decision. 5 nights in a row was always a ludicrous notion.

However, can anyone answer why this decision took so long to make? Unfair on those who have made plans just to cancel a matter of days before the concerts.

• Advertisement

Needless abusive comment about the residents.

Mod: This is dealt with. let's leave it there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The council refused a licence, not the residents.

The residents where the reason the lisence got refused, let's be honest!

On the basis of valid objections lets not forget.

Blame is very squarely with the residents and their hundreds of objections

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. if the residents objections were spurious or unreasonable wouldnt the council have dismissed them promptly?

i'd even go as far to say that dcc dont want the headache and hassle of making the city look foolish, that their preference would be to grant all the licences.

id love all the concerts to go ahead, especially for all the punters all over the country and further afield. i hope they reverse their decision.

but i think aiken was to blame here. and the poxy licencing system. just because its the way its always been done doesnt mean we cant improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I have a ticket for the Sunday gig, but I would not blame Garth Brooks for pulling out completely. I heard that the promoter was willing to add additional conditions but was rejected. Maybe he should start his 5 day show in Detroit and avoid Dublin altogether. I bet they will praise him for it.

This council decision will send shivers to any other promoters/Entertainer for any possible big gigs especially in Croke Park again or even the Lansdowne Road. It send a very negative message to both fans and Entertainers in the International Domain. DUBLIN AND IRELAND SAYS NO is the message they hear.

It is a huge blow to Tourism to Dublin and surrounding areas. That huge revenue loss to Dublin in hotels, restaurants, and other services industries in Dublin. Even the Gardai will lose out and will not get the extra overtime they claim they need to bumper the very squeeze wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The other three may not go ahead. Selling 5 croke park and not playing one. ... What a joke.

limklad wrote: »
    I have a ticket for the Sunday gig, but I would not blame Garth Brooks for pulling out completely. I heard that the promoter was willing to add additional conditions but was rejected. Maybe he should start his 5 day show in Detroit and avoid Dublin altogether. I bet they will praise him for it.

This council decision will send shivers to any other promoters/Entertainer for any possible big gigs especially in Croke Park again or even the Lansdowne Road. It send a very negative message to both fans and Entertainers in the International Domain. DUBLIN SAYS NO is the message they hear.

It is a huge blow to Tourism to Dublin and surrounding areas. That huge revenue loss to Dublin in hotels, restaurants, and other services industries in Dublin. Even the Gardai will lose out and will not get the extra overtime they claim they need to bumper the very squeeze wages.

Dublin says adhere to procedure and you'll be grand.

Dublin says we're not as corrupt as we once were.

Depending on who you talked to :pac:

Here, if they weren't valid then DCC would have approved all 5 shows. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

limklad wrote: »
    I
    This council decision will send shivers to any other promoters/Entertainer for any possible big gigs especially in Croke Park again or even the Lansdowne Road. It send a very negative message to both fans and Entertainers in the International Domain. DUBLIN AND IRELAND SAYS NO is the message they hear.

So an artist plays 3 gigs and you think that's a big Dublin says no?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The residents where the reason the lisence got refused, let's be honest!

Jesus Christ, talk about blaming the victims!

Blaming the residents for costing the economy is like blaming a rape victim if her rapist was a footballer who missed an important game. "Lets be honest, if she hadn't complained to the police he could have played that game".

The residents didn't do a damn thing except stand up for themselves, focusing on the fact that they lodged perfectly valid objections is pure ignorance. How about you direct your ire at those who are actually responsible here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement