Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mr.S wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland.

Eh, it's Brooks himself who has gone non committal to any of the gigs, nothing to do with Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cson wrote: »
    Reported.

Needless abusive comment about the residents.

No more abusive than the residents labelling concert goers as being "undesirable" and "destructive elements to property"
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    The council refused a licence, not the residents.

On foot of 367 objections from the residents

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why approve 3 and not 5? If they where so valid then they shouldn't have approved 3 :confused:

I'm not saying the objections had no valid basis, ofcourse they did.

But when i saw the Anti Social Behaviour section, I kind of stopped reading.

I think everyone knew 5 was taking the piss. Thing is; if they'd just had the 3 plus the 3 1D then the residents would likely have been fine with it. It'd have been 1 over the agreed 5 concerts.

What it does now is draw an absolute line under the amount of concerts you can have in Croker et al during the year; the Courts will have a decision that has to be adhered to.

And yeah, its ****e for those who bought tickets but its a victory for due process in Ireland.

miju wrote: »
    No more abusive than the residents labelling concert goers as being "undesirable" and "destructive elements to property"

Reference that for me like a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Please pull the other shows. It would not be fair to the residents. I no longer want to inconvenience them nor support the Irish economy. I will just spend my tourism Euros where myself and other obnoxious Garth and/or concert fans are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cson wrote: »
    Reference that for me like a good lad.

Sure go look it up yourself on the DCC website under obejctions raised like a good lad ;)

The residents didn't do a damn thing except stand up for themselves, focusing on the fact that they lodged perfectly valid objections is pure ignorance. How about you direct your ire at those who are actually responsible here.

Nail. Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Please pull the other shows. It would not be fair to the residents. I no longer want to inconvenience them nor support the Irish economy. I will just spend my tourism Euros where myself and other obnoxious Garth and/or concert fans are welcome.

Good man. Enjoy yourself wherever...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Still seated tickets available for Sunday, I think that seems really strange I thought they would be well gone by now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Jesus Christ, talk about blaming the victims!

Blaming the residents for costing the economy is like blaming a rape victim if her rapist was a footballer who missed an important game. "Lets be honest, if she hadn't complained to the police he could have played that game".

The residents didn't do a damn thing except stand up for themselves, focusing on the fact that they lodged perfectly valid objections is pure ignorance. How about you direct your ire at those who are actually responsible here.

Comparing residents to a rape victim.. Some things in this thread have baffled me..
    This is on a whole new level.

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »

So you were saying they were invalid?

Is there acutally any record of this though? Pretty shocking if he pulls out of the 3 gigs he can plan if so.

Aitken was on the 6.1 news and said he spoke with either him or his management and that was what he was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

the squabbling is getting a bit petty, its still very raw for everyone, lots of fans are probably still in shock.

im not a fan of gb at all, but i feel they have been treated apallingly, there is rules here, and i certainly dont blame the residents for this, aiken just assumed he would get what he wants, even though he knew he was pushing it. the residents arent scummy. our licencing laws are bizarre. how can you promote a concert a people spend thousands to get here from all around the world, and it gets refused 3 weeks before? thats whats bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

emo72 wrote: »
    how can you promote a concert a people spend thousands to get here from all around the world, and it gets refused 3 weeks before? thats whats bizarre.

This. Surely DCC could have met at an earlier date so alternatives could be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Comparing residents to a rape victim.. Some things in this thread have baffled me..
    This is on a whole new level.

That's clearly a simile rather than a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@RTE2fm: What do the Kerry Football team and #GarthBrooks have in common?? Both failed to get 5 in a row in Croker! BOOM! #GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

emo72 wrote: »
    spit it out, you want to declare war on ireland now, dont ya:pac:

Yeah, that's it. I just don't have to travel there and put money into the economy. It is my money after all. The economy is doing fine without tourist money anyways, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,545 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Where have you been all day? The 1D concerts had no bearing on.these.

Yes they have a license from Friday to Sunday.

:o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

When the thread re-opens, stay on topic and 'don't be a dick'

• Registered Users Posts: 15 otumelty

I think that it will be overturned, I think the GAA has a bigger away than they let on with the council, and they realised 70k tourists coming into the country just for this is too much to turn away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 otumelty

I think that it will be overturned, I think the GAA has a bigger away than they let on with the council, and they realised 70k tourists coming into the country just for this is too much to turn away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Now that I've bought Sunday tickets I don't want it to be overturned! Want my Monday refund

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

I dunno about anyone else but between the tickets The hotel the rail tickets booking time off work I've spent a small fortune for this which I could've put towards a holiday these have to go ahead I feel for the residents but maybe this is the best thing as it will never happen again to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

At this stage I don't give a sh!t what happens.
    I just want to know what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Let the madness recommence!

I only heard about this on PRimetime last night, but Croke Park are suing some of the members of the Local Residents Committee over a totally seperate issue. I wonder if their petitions/anger stems from the bad blood from that...
    http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-suing-over-refusal-to-demolish-handball-centre-30010296.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Interesting/clever move by Garth/Aiken.

IF it works that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mr Brooks said in a statement issued late last night: “To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do would be like asking to choose one child over another. However this plays out, Ireland has my heart and always will.”
    I cringed when I heard this, its not Sophie's Choice, its not even Garth's choice, the council already chose the days.

I think its a disgrace how he is trying to hold the country to ransom with this ultimatum. I wonder if there will be much backlash.

Its also strange that everybody thinks its all down to the residents and that nobody else has any empathy, as though only the locals care, people all around the country would be interested in what precedent is set. There is also the matter of the law, I am still not clear on whether or not they did break the law, and if they will be subject to the €12m fine whether all residents/everybody is happy or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Garth Brooks: Five gigs or I’ll show myself to the door

Justin-Long.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

All the excitement about the gigs is gone now....I'm very 'meh' about it all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement