Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

For sale 120,000 pink cowboy hats. PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

I don't understand Garth's problem. He had his working week cut to 3 days, so I'm sure he could still apply for his x's and o's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

There will be no reversal by Dublin City Council of the decision to refuse the licence for two of Garth Brooks’ concerts , Lord Mayor Christy Burke said he has been told by the city manager.
    He was speaking after Garth Brooks said last night that he would do all five concerts in Croke Park or none at all.
    Mr Burke said he spoke to the city manager today who told him there was no appeals process, and the decision was definitive. “I have to respect that,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/no-reversal-by-council-despite-garth-brooks-ultimatum-1.1855401

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Ah 3 gigs it is so.
    Was in Dunnes Stores and they had GB t-shirts done up for the 5 nights, down from €10 to €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Ah 3 gigs it is so.
    Was in Dunnes Stores and they had GB t-shirts done up for the 5 nights, down from €10 to €2.

They've got T-shirt trends at........low pricesssss.

• Advertisement

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Ah 3 gigs it is so.

He was speaking after Garth Brooks said last night that he would do all five concerts in Croke Park or none at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think this is a bad move by Garth. DCC cannot bow down to this type of pressure from performers. What kind of precedent will it set for future acts?

I think Garth Brooks is a dick for coming out with the statement

I have tickets for Sunday but really have lost the excitement feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I'm hoping something will be sorted out. I had money saved for this event. I was planning on buying a lot of merchandise

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

I cant choose between one child over the other, you know what I'll do, I let all five children die, that seems reasonable.

He has something green in his heart all right, but it ain't the green of Ireland!

• Advertisement

where is hardluckwoman today? :eek: I'm expecting to hear on the radio a woman is on a rampage in Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

I think Garth Brook's statement was inappropriate last night especially timing wise as there needs to be time for all parties to assess yesterdays reaction. I also think that he is not in a position to threaten to cancel the other 3 concerts which have now been granted a licence and the ticketholders are entitled to the concert they paid for - this is surely putting Aikens in the firing line for huge legal ramifications from those fans with pre-paid travel/hotel expenses for those three nights - those people did not buy the tickets on the basis that it was five or none especially as it was originally only 2 nights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    I think Garth Brook's statement was inappropriate last night especially timing wise as there needs to be time for all parties to assess yesterdays reaction. I also think that he is not in a position to threaten to cancel the other 3 concerts which have now been granted a licence and the ticketholders are entitled to the concert they paid for - this is surely putting Aikens in the firing line for huge legal ramifications from those fans with pre-paid travel/hotel expenses for those three nights - those people did not buy the tickets on the basis that it was five or none especially as it was originally only 2 nights!!

Fully agree here, the 3 that have been granted licences will surly go ahead. He wont risk pulling the plug on 3 massive pay-days and also wont risk is pissing 240,000 off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,127 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course he will pull the show if his crew have designed such an expensive show that the economics of it require 5 full nights to make any wedge.

He isnt going to risk losing on this caper when he can lay the full blame at Aiken's door and get back from insurance anything he has already outlayed, then put his feet up on his veranda and shoot possums that weekend.

This will all end with Aiken's being no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only way i can see this "5 or nothing" working out at 5 going ahead is:

3 that have been granted permission go ahead
    2 dates in 2015 (maybe at the end of his world tour?) for people who have Mon/Tues tickets which will be honoured for the new dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Of course he will pull the show if his crew have designed such an expensive show that the economics of it require 5 full nights to make any wedge.
    there is no way this is remotely the case, unless they're throwing gold bars into the crowd or something.

if you can't make a profit on 1 sell-out night in Croker, let alone 3, you're doing something seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    where is hardluckwoman today? :eek: I'm expecting to hear on the radio a woman is on a rampage in Dublin city

Sorry im late
    In Dublin today....

Oh I so so wish I was but what good will a crazy woman do.

There may be fan protests organised and if thats the case il join them.

But I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Any chance of getting a mod to get a poll going to see what ppl think? seems pretty 50/50 here
    Gigs to go ahead
    Gigs to be all cancelled
    3 Gigs to be played and 2 at a future date? - sounds like the best option to be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sorry im late
    In Dublin today....

But I give up

Fan protests against Garth i assume? He's the one threatening to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    get back from insurance anything he has already outlayed
    I wonder if insurance companies will pay anybody anything with regards to this, if it is proven that the law was broken along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Fan protests against Garth i assume? He's the one threatening to cancel.

How much sh!t stirring are you going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

Yeah, that's it. I just don't have to travel there and put money into the economy. It is my money after all. The economy is doing fine without tourist money anyways, right?

No, the economy is in the shltter.
    Why?

Because the entire country was run on a 'nod and a wink' - and we all how that worked out.
    Aiken were selling tickets without being sure they would go ahead.
    I suppose they felt like the ould 'nod and wink' would do the trick.
    This time it didnt.

I feel sick for the fans , but they should look to the real villian here, which was the promoter.

If your sole reason for coming to Ireland from the US was to see a US artist then fair enough.
    Dublin and Ireland has a lot more to offer - but hey , whatever floats your boat.
    You remind me of a guy I met in Cairo once , he was bitching cos there were no Irish pubs around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I think the fault ultimately lies with the GAA! Aikens did the deal with Garth Brooks. GAA were the ones who should have spoken with residents and made sure they were happy seeing as they are the ones that made the agreement of 3 per year! Whilst I'm annoyed at the thought of all 5 being pulled, having tickets for the Saturday night myself, I think it's the GAA that need to clean up this mess. Aiken sold subject to license which is how it's always been done. DCC should have come back with a decision sooner, but again, they are following a process that's been in place for years. The ones who went against everything that was already set in place was the GAA. Had the residents been consulted, we probably wouldn't have this mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Now to be fair, if 3 concerts can go ahead, but he pulls out of those, it's on his head.

My sister-in-law and numerous friends have tickets (mostly for the 3 original dates), and most aren't happy with his current 5 or nothing stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Who's **** stirring?
    DCC granted 3 licenses and refused 2, Giving people 3 chances to see garth brooks.

Now garth is taking that away from his fans.

Honest question, You had tickets for all 5 nights right?
    DCC said you can go to 60% of them, Garth saying you can go to 0%
    Why would you protest against DCC?

Sorry im late
    In Dublin today....

But I give up

are there going to be fan protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Does anyone know if any of them are meeting to thrash this out now or what? surely GAA, aikens, Residents and DCC are trying to sort this mess out before the weekend??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ghostdancer has it right IMO.

Gigs 1,2 and 3 as scheduled. 4-5 later in the tour.

No one loses out. Everyone saves face.

Not a chance of a poll from me for whoever asked it. This thread is enough work as it is.

lordgoat you deserve a holiday after this :P

• Advertisement

i honestly wouldn't mind if he had no stage, if it was just him and his guitar on stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement