Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think it's very poor form from Garth Brooks. I mean, anyone who had tickets to Monday or Tuesday (myself included) was disappointed about the licenses not being granted. But that's not his fault. That I won't be able to go on Tuesday and my parents can't go on Monday was not his fault. I managed to get tickets to the Sunday (after licenses granted! But before he made that statement...) and now (if he keeps to his threats) it's because of Garth Brooks that I won't get to see him. Not the residents, not the promoters, not DCC. He's the one who is threatening to pull 3 sold out gigs that have licenses.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lordgoat you deserve a holiday after this :P

Tbh I'm not the most active mod on board. And overall it's been grand. It's a great forum. Just everyone
    keep in mind both sides of the argument when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Who's **** stirring?
    DCC granted 3 licenses and refused 2, Giving people 3 chances to see garth brooks.

Now garth is taking that away from his fans.

Honest question, You had tickets for all 5 nights right?
    DCC said you can go to 60% of them, Garth saying you can go to 0%
    Why would you protest against DCC?

But he doesnt want to split his fanbase here. the 160,000 alone is nearly bigger than all but a handful of bands will ever perform to here. I can see his point.

I like that he's saying 5 or none and i'm going the saturday. I like it because he's saying a big fúck you to the DCC who are putting a few ahead of many.

As for the comment that he only is thinking about the money he's losing. I will be stunned to a point of absolute disbelief if you believe that he's still not getting paid for the 5 nights. He's ready and willing to do them. The promoter ****ed up there. I'd also be fairly sure theres no magic loophole in that contract that covered this possibility. He's been a superstar since the early 90s and played to stadiums worldwide for years he knows the risks and theres no way that risk is on him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,127 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

there is no way this is remotely the case, unless they're throwing gold bars into the crowd or something.

if you can't make a profit on 1 sell-out night in Croker, let alone 3, you're doing something seriously wrong.

Absolutely it could be the case.

Did you hear the promoter himself on the news last night explaining that the scale (and hence the expense) of the shows was unprecedented, in terms of technology and effects? There is probably already millions worth of contracts deposited with suppliers in the US and Europe to make this happen. Not to mention the GAA's committments to suppliers. So 1 night, or even 3 (lets say €14.5million in sales) may not be viable, or at least the margin so slim that it wouldnt be worth all the effort.

Don't forget, this isnt a rolling tour with the overheads spread across months of staging. This was to be a big one-off blow out, and the economics of that are massively different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are the residents still going to protest over the 3 gigs that have been approved? Or are they happy with 3 going ahead?

Reports seem to be that they are respecting the decision but they are looking for agreements for the future to be set in stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

was just on the ticketmaster website and it says:

We are aware of the Dublin City Council decision in relation to the granting of a licence for the staging of the Garth Brook’s concerts.

More information will be made available to ticket holders as soon as possible.

ENDS

So something is being done by the sounds of it otherwise they'd be saying refunds can be collected at so and so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

are there going to be fan protests?

I dont know know. There was mention of it somewhere on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I dont know know. There was mention of it somewhere on facebook.

let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Don't know about anyone else but I say FAIR PLAY to Mr Garth Brooks, he is such a legend. People are saying he is just interested in money.... not true.... he genuinely doesn't want to disappoint his fans. He is 100% right for saying all or nothing, I knew he wouldn't just take it lying down!!!!!!! Fair fair play to him.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 24,127 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So something is being done by the sounds of it otherwise they'd be saying refunds can be collected at so and so

Thats the last thing I would take from that statement. They just havent decided how best to get their own money back from the promoter before giving it back to the customers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

For certain business the 5 concerts would have generated the equivalent of 2 or 3 months rates.

Affected business' should withold the relevant amounts from DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Iang87 wrote: »
    But he doesnt want to split his fanbase here. the 160,000 alone is nearly bigger than all but a handful of bands will ever perform to here. I can see his point.
    But he's not splitting them, Legally theres nothing he can do.
    I like that he's saying 5 or none and i'm going the saturday. I like it because he's saying a big fúck you to the DCC who are putting a few ahead of many.
    Isn't that what he's doing? For someone not splitting the fans, He's saying the 160,000 who can't go are more important than the 240,000 who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

If I was a betting woman - which I'm not - I'd be putting a few quid on in Paddy Power that the 5 gigs will go ahead. And I'm not usually an optimist!

Terry Prone (media guru) was on Newstalk just now, saying 'around 300 people stopping nearly half-a-million people having a good time....that's democracy in action...arseways'!

God help us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

let me know.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I do not think Garth Brooks is to blame here.

He was told he was playing 5 concerts.

Now he has been told he is playing 3.

I doubt if Mr.Brooks got to where he is today by dealing with stupidity, which appears to be happening on a widespread scale at this very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If I was a betting woman - which I'm not - I'd be putting a few quid on in Paddy Power that the 5 gigs will go ahead. And I'm not usually an optimist!

Terry Prone (media guru) was on Newstalk just now, saying 'around 300 people stopping nearly half-a-million people having a good time....that's democracy in action...arseways'!

God help us!
    1 gardai complaining can have a pubs late license revoked and stop a couple of hundred people having fun. It's not the number it's the quality of the complaint and DCC obviously saw grounds to refuse the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

let me know.

I hear fans are going to hold up Dublin city centre by organising a massive line dance, and wearing 90's denim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Its pretty obvious that Brooks PR did not do their homework on Owen Keegan, that man does not do u turns and will not bend to pressure or threats. It would be an absolute joke if a threat from an "artist" would cause our top DCC executive to change his stance and reverse his decision based on planning issues.................. FFS it would be outrageous !

Secman

was just on the ticketmaster website and it says:

We are aware of the Dublin City Council decision in relation to the granting of a licence for the staging of the Garth Brook’s concerts.

More information will be made available to ticket holders as soon as possible.

ENDS

They are awaiting confirmation of 2 night refunds or 5 night refunds and also they will have to negotiate a fee with Aiken........ common sense really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

secman wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious that Brooks PR did not do their homework on Owen Keegan, that man does not do u turns and will not bend to pressure or threats. It would be an absolute joke if a threat from an "artist" would cause our top DCC executive to change his stance and reverse his decision based on planning issues.................. FFS it would be outrageous !

Secman

Would your 'top DCC executive' be of the same caliber as our previous 'top' banking regulator?

• Advertisement

I seriously don't think 5 will go ahead. DCC won't back down on this - they'd be mad to. It's already enough of a banana republic without them overturning a decision that was taken in light of the comments made by all sides just because a performer blackmails them publicly.

Aiken have yet to officially cancel Monday and Tuesday. Was just on the phone to ticketmaster there who said there'll be a full refund (including booking fee) done automatically for anyone who booked for Monday or Tuesday once they hear from Aiken that they're cancelled (sounds like they're expecting to hear they're cancelled). Wish they'd just go ahead and cancel. Garth Brooks I'm sure has decent enough contracts in place with Aiken that he won't make a loss on it just because they failed to ensure the events got their license.

Never mind the damage to Ireland's reputation, the damage to his reputation if he doesn't do the 3 he has a license for would surely mean his comeback tour wouldn't be the raging success he's hoping for. If Monday and Tuesday don't go ahead I'm sure plenty of those fans would travel to see him elsewhere. But if none of them go ahead, I'm sure many of the same people wouldn't bother.

They are awaiting confirmation of 2 night refunds or 5 night refunds and also they will have to negotiate a fee with Aiken........ common sense really.

A fee from Aiken to TM or the other way round?

I'm seeing reports from DCC and other public figures that the decision will not be reversed.

my friend wrote: »
    Would your 'top DCC executive' be of the same caliber as our previous 'top' banking regulator?

We don't want our top DCC executive making decisions based on what an "artist" wants, we want him to make it on planning issues......... the only relevance to banks would be GAA. Aiken and Brooks and their wads.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Did you hear the promoter himself on the news last night .......
    The same promoter that:
    • Knew about the agreement between Croker and the residents of 3 gigs per year
    • Knew that the residents would object to extra concerts being added (after the 3x1D gigs)
    • Knew having 1 extra concert would concern the residents, but then sold 5
    • Knew that objections were likely to result in not all concerts getting a licence (but still sold 5 nights)
    • Waited until as late as possible to apply for a licence (hoping that 5 sold out concerts would add pressure to the DCC)
    • Perhaps is aware of GB tactic to threaten to pull all gigs (in the hope it will apply pressure to have all 5 gigs)

I'm neither a resident nor someone affected by the DCC/GB decision.
    But Croker/Promoter have handled this very badly.
    They knew from the start that residents would be displeased with adding further concerts after the 3x1D gigs. Yet they went ahead and sold 5 nights worth of tickets, waited until very late to submitted their licence request to hold the gigs, and would have been fully aware that they were taking a risk that not all 5 gigs would have been permitted.
    They gambled with fans money and desires to see GB, and should take the brunt of the blame.

TM get to keep the 'admin fee' so that's 6 euro x 400,000 - not a bad days work for a non running concert!

No they don't. I was just on the phone, booking fees will be returned when the concerts are officially cancelled.

A fee from Aiken to TM or the other way round?

TM get to keep the 'admin fee' so that's 6 euro x 400,000 - not a bad days work for a non running concert!

Their initial fee was for handling ticket sales, they did so, now the tickets all of them or 2/5 of them have to be refunded........ totally separate transaction, not of their doing.. so yes another fee...........happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Lets wait and see how this turns out.. i can't see stupidity taking over as $$ makes the world goes around, Que Enda and his cronies

No they don't. I was just on the phone, booking fees will be returned when the concerts are officially cancelled.

yeah I just edited it out, TM don't always return all the admin fees though ie 3rd party charges aren't refunded (card charges for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Amanda7326 wrote: »
    Don't know about anyone else but I say FAIR PLAY to Mr Garth Brooks, he is such a legend. People are saying he is just interested in money.... not true.... he genuinely doesn't want to disappoint his fans. He is 100% right for saying all or nothing, I knew he wouldn't just take it lying down!!!!!!! Fair fair play to him.....................

But if it is zero concerts, would that mean 400k happy fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Everyone with tickets should go to a line Dance in the city centre, they can't move us all :P imagine the banter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement