Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I read the "Dream Gathering festival" thread in gigs and events as

Dream Garthering

Its all a dream again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

yeah I just edited it out, TM don't always return all the admin fees though ie 3rd party charges aren't refunded (card charges for example)

Yeah, I'd say it helped that Dermot Jewell got in there sharpish and said that the booking fee had to be refunded. So I guess Aiken have to refund TM's lost earnings as well as the fee to issue refunds. Niiiiiiice.

So I guess it's just the legal eagles and Ticketmaster doing nicely out of this then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

secman wrote: »
    We don't want our top DCC executive making decisions based on what an "artist" wants, we want him to make it on planning issues......... the only relevance to banks would be GAA. Aiken and Brooks and their wads.......

I asked you for an opinion not selected 'facts'

I'm au fait w the intricacies of the regs and the fact is that the basis for allowing 3 are the same for 5, the problem is actually with the process and the regs, as it stands the only difference between 3 and 5 is a personal decision that someone 'unnamed' has made arbitrarily

Irish comedy at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Agreements between who exactly? MCD would need to be involved too non?

I would love to see all promotion companies and event management staff involved in this tbh, but I'm guessing that would be too much forward thinking. Wouldn't mind the industry doing things the right way round too - apply for licencing first, then promote/sell your event. This would also help with any events that may overlap as there would be a public record of planned events.

I think the previous agreement between the residents and Croker was not public enough and that is why we are in this position, this debacle has unfortunately just created a massive mess of promoters, concert goers, artists, local businesses, residents. Depending on how we deal with this will determine how the events industry will evolve.

I should say that I'm not a resident of the surrounding area of Croker, but I do agree that 5 successive nights, along with numerous nights of set up and dismantling of the event is too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd bet none will go ahead, theres no way in hell they can move the last two gigs in a day to a new venue, theres no venue in dublin that aiken have rights to, to support the numbers, they budget for the touring crew is now thrown out, flights will be changed, staffing will be changed, merch with dublin dates all changed, massive headache for the GB production, best scrap it all, Ireland is notoriously expensive to play a gig, they'll suck it up and leave the hassle, not worth it for a first leg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Brooks.................................................Aiken.............................DCC

mexican-standoff2.png

i'd bet none will go ahead, theres no way in hell they can move the last two gigs in a day to a new venue, theres no venue in dublin that aiken have rights to, to support the numbers, they budget for the touring crew is now thrown out, flights will be changed, staffing will be changed, merch with dublin dates all changed, massive headache for the GB production, best scrap it all, Ireland is notoriously expensive to play a gig, they'll suck it up and leave the hassle, not worth it for a first leg

I'd be inclined to agree, although I hope otherwise. His statement could well have been made in the knowledge that there was no chance of 5, giving him an easy out from all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

As a non Garth Brooks fan, but a member of the GAA, this is quite embarrassing.

But Aiken also need to shoulder a lot of the blame.
    3 concerts (1D) was enough in 2014 in Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Yeah, sounds like not all the residents are against the gigs, and are sick of the small number of vocal residents making them all look like they are against this.
    350 odd complaints with what 27,000 residents?!
    Good to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yeah, sounds like not all the residents are against the gigs, and are sick of the small number of vocal residents making them all look like they are against this.
    Good to see!

where exactly were these people in the last couple of weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Good to see!
    You complain about the small number of vocal residents, but are bullish about one persons opinion. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    where exactly were these people in the last couple of weeks?

You're right, If they wanted to they could have opposed the RA acting on their behalf, Or written a letter to DCC themselves. Instead they did nothing. These are the residents people should be angry with.

You complain about the small number of vocal residents, but are bullish about one persons opinion. Come on.

I'd love to know of these 27000 residents, how many are actually totally against these gigs? They're on about a petition getting started to have all 5 go ahead now, wonder how many name's they'll get and see if it's just one persons opinion eh...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

TheLiberal.ie
    *** Breaking - Garth Brooks Concerts decision expected at 3pm today ***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The same promoter that:
    • Knew about the agreement between Croker and the residents of 3 gigs per year
    • Knew that the residents would object to extra concerts being added (after the 3x1D gigs)
    • Knew having 1 extra concert would concern the residents, but then sold 5
    • Knew that objections were likely to result in not all concerts getting a licence (but still sold 5 nights)
    • Waited until as late as possible to apply for a licence (hoping that 5 sold out concerts would add pressure to the DCC)
    • Perhaps is aware of GB tactic to threaten to pull all gigs (in the hope it will apply pressure to have all 5 gigs)

I'm neither a resident nor someone affected by the DCC/GB decision.
    But Croker/Promoter have handled this very badly.
    They knew from the start that residents would be displeased with adding further concerts after the 3x1D gigs. Yet they went ahead and sold 5 nights worth of tickets, waited until very late to submitted their licence request to hold the gigs, and would have been fully aware that they were taking a risk that not all 5 gigs would have been permitted.
    They gambled with fans money and desires to see GB, and should take the brunt of the blame.

I think you are being unfair to the promoter.

There is obviously the demand there for the five shows, considering how well the gigs have sold.

The subject to licence process applies to numerous different outdoor events organised by the various different promoters.

The argument of the residents spokesman Eamon O'Brien on Prime Time last night, that the other gigs could have been held at venues around the country is ridiculous. He mentioned this same argument on the news some months ago also.

Apart from the practicalities of it, and the preparations being done at Croke Park for these shows, none of the venues he mentioned like Thomond Park and Semple Stadium are big enough to accommodate the amount of people who have bought tickets, who would also have booked hotels in Dublin.

From the point of view of Garth Brooks saying he'd rather play five shows or none at all, I guess - considering the efforts and stress that fans went through to get tickets for the shows in the first place - he doesn't want to be left in a situation of having to disappoint those who were going on the Monday and Tuesday, if the first three shows go ahead.

It's not as if the 4th and 5th shows were cancelled from lack of ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

TheLiberal.ie

It's all very dramatic isn't it?

GB released a very clever statement regarding the all or nothing favourite children etc....

TheLiberal.ie

All 5 cancelled

Enjoy.. we might not get to see this in 3 weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSZgYhtYKUs&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy.. we might not get to see this in 3 weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSZgYhtYKUs&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

What an absolute god damn mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Thats what happens when some people think rules dont apply to them.

I'd love to know of these 27000 residents, how many are actually totally against these gigs? They're on about a petition getting started to have all 5 go ahead now, wonder how many name's they'll get and see if it's just one persons opinion eh...:rolleyes:
    I didn't say it was just one person opinion, eyerollsdon't help your false claim.
    I mentioned the one persons opinion in the article. Never said it was the only person who may be of that same opinion.

I don't know how many names they'll get of residents in the area that are for the concert. I do know that submissions from all parties were to DCC, and based on that they gave the go ahead for 3 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I wouldn't blame Garth Brooks for pulling out from Ireland. He sang our praises and was given the two fùcking fingers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I didn't say it was just one person opinion, eyerollsdon't help your false claim.
    I mentioned the one persons opinion in the article. Never said it was the only person who may be of that same opinion.

I don't know how many names they'll get of residents in the area that are for the concert. I do know that submissions from all parties were to DCC, and based on that they gave the go ahead for 3 gigs.

the number is irrelevent

they did not adhere to their contract, one person objecting to a breach of contract is the same as 20k, you cant change a contract because enough people dont like it. The country is bana enough with out that rubbish coming in

I wouldn't blame Garth Brooks for pulling out from Ireland. He sang our praises and was given the two fùcking fingers.

He wasn't given the finger, the idea of a 5 night run in a densely populated area with three of those nights being weeknights is what was objected to.

ETA: and the preexisting agreement to 3 events per year having been breached is I'm sure what added weight to he decision not to grant all of them!

And if residents were so against the RAs stance, they were free to submit their own observations to DCC, so why only talk now?

I think you are being unfair to the promoter.
    There is obviously the demand there for the five shows, considering how well the gigs have sold.
    Clearly there is demand for the concert, this became apparent as soon as they began selling the tickets.
    So the question you should be asking is why did the promoter wait so long to apply for the licence?
    Yes, it's normal practice to sell the tickets while pending a licence. But the promoter didn't even apply when they knew they had 5 gigs sold out.
    They knew that it would cause an issue. They knew it would lead to objections. They knew there was a risk/chance that 5 nights wouldn't get approved. They still took the fans money and built up expectation.

From the point of view of Garth Brooks saying he'd rather play five shows or none at all, I guess - considering the efforts and stress that fans went through to get tickets for the shows in the first place - he doesn't want to be left in a situation of having to disappoint those who were going on the Monday and Tuesday, if the first three shows go ahead.
    GB isn't left in a situation where he has to disappoint those on the Mon and Tues. That decision wasn't his to make.
    GB is disappointing the Fri/Sat/Sun fans.
    It's not as if the 4th and 5th shows were cancelled from lack of ticket sales.
    Those gigs were never given a licence to be cancelled.
    They never actually existed.
    The three approved gigs are now been threaten to be cancelled by GB.

The three approved gigs are now been threaten to be cancelled by GB.

They were never approved until last minute, you can only apply very close to date, every outdoor gig is a gamble and they lost

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement