Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

would they thane the friday saturday and sunday in croke park and the monday and tuesday in another place? could that be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Only missing a concert.

And look what happened to michael jackson. Due to make a comeback. Never happened.

Dont know what the future holds. Some people may never get to see him.

It has been 17 years. I never saw him. 3 weeks away and its all taken away.

Except you have tickets for 3 nights, which have licenses.

The only person "taking it away" is Garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I wouldn't blame Garth Brooks for pulling out from Ireland. He sang our praises and was given the two fùcking fingers.

He could still play 3 gigs if he wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I think this is more to be sure it doesnt happen again..

Was getting my hopes up for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tilikum wrote: »
    What if you bought the tickets on donedeal? Hard copies

You may hope that the person you bought them from is an honest and kind hearted person.

Otherwise you're buggered.

How much did you pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,537 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Only missing a concert.

And look what happened to michael jackson. Due to make a comeback. Never happened.

Dont know what the future holds. Some people may never get to see him.

It has been 17 years. I never saw him. 3 weeks away and its all taken away.

You have an apt usename :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dear God, can we add to the Mod note at the start...

MOVING THE GIGS TO ANOTHER VENUE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Slane, Aviva, Limerick... Every half arsed location in the country has been mooted as a potential alternative despite everybody and their dog making it clear that a late change of venue is not feasible for multiple reasons.

Ps, I have a fair sized back garden. Could probably accommodate all 400,000 people. Would need to play every night for 3 years but it's the least he can do.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    He could still play 3 gigs if he wanted

This point is being completely ignored for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed to if I blew a couple of grand on something that didn't have a license.

Have you read the thread at all regarding the subject to licence part? Or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Edit: Saw you're reply and point. Still thing you're being harsh.

Have you read the thread at all regarding the subject to licence part? Or are you being intentionally obtuse?

No I've read it, in fact I was the one who posted the statute that technically states it's illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

And I feel sorry for you, I truly do, and I wish I had a couple of spares to help out people like yourself. But at the end of the day I'm assuming anyone flying in from further afield would have researched this kind of thing. And if they knew that these gigs were subject to license there was a chance, however slim of them being cancelled.
    really? you would assume people research local planning laws for concerts in other countries. honestly?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No I've read it, in fact I was the one who posted the statute that technically states it's illegal.

Ya, saw you're reply earlier. Do think you're being harsh though, omst people wouldnt realise that it is a possibility. TBF it most people ive spoken to thought it was a case that the licence is already given and the stuff on the ticket is in case it is revoked or anything like that.

If the event is rare enough insurance isnt the wise choice. How much was yours?

really? you would assume people research local planning laws for concerts in other countries. honestly?

:rolleyes:

Not exactly, but if I was flying halfway around the world for a gig, I'd do a bit of research. And if I saw that local residents were threatening legal action, I'd think twice before dropping several grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

So quick recap:

Garth Brookes: Unless I do all 5 concerts I'm pulling out and F***ing over all my fans who booked for Croke Park.

Aiken Promotions: We're shocked that when we sell tickets ahead of a concert without actually checking with the local council that its ok to go ahead and put on more concerts than ever before in a stadium which already has very strict restrictions in it that we don't get the licenses. Especially when it will block the surrounding localities into their houses for 5 days straight.

FF TD: I want to call a session of the Irish government to discuss a new law that needs to be voted upon, sent to the Seanad, voted upon, sent to the President, signed into the law books, so a Country a Western singer who is having a hissy fit can make some extra money. (Now where can we save money I know lets cut more wages in the Civil Service!!!)

Garth Brookes Fan: I'm getting screwed by the guy I want to go see and the company he chose to setup the concerts and I'm blaming the people that live beside the stadium and the local council who are trying to protect the day to day lives of said locals.

Stay classy guys, stay classy.....

PTH2009 wrote: »
    was really looking forward to the concert. What am i going to do for the weekend in July now. ****ing residents what harm was anyone going to do to them and cause of them Garth wont play here and probly never will

The promoters are to blame, too much greed

Not exactly, but if I was flying halfway around the world for a gig, I'd do a bit of research. And if I saw that local residents were threatening legal action, I'd think twice before dropping several grand.

The local mafias threathed legal action as soon as tickets went on sale. Why didnt they just go for it. It would have left Aiken plenty of time to sort things. They dragged it out just as much.

Ya, saw you're reply earlier. Do think you're being harsh though, omst people wouldnt realise that it is a possibility. TBF it most people ive spoken to thought it was a case that the licence is already given and the stuff on the ticket is in case it is revoked or anything like that.

If the event is rare enough insurance isnt the wise choice. How much was yours?

I don't mean to come across harsh, but I would be shocked if someone had the capabilities to book a flight, hotel, transport etc and didn't at least type Garth brooks Dublin into google and at least factored it into their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The local mafias threathed legal action as soon as tickets went on sale. Why didnt they just go for it. It would have left Aiken plenty of time to sort things. They dragged it out just as much.

because you can't take legal action against something that doesn't exist yet, the licence needed to be granted before any further action could be taken against the concerts and Aiken.
    For instance, if none of the concerts were granted a licence the RA's would have no reason to bring any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

That's just bull, sorry now but who checks to see if a concert has a licence before buying a ticket 5 or 6 months before the gig?! doesn't matter if your coming from down the road or china, no one checks this and shouldn't have to but as this is Ireland we now find ourselves the laughing stock again

Legal action against what? How can you get a gig stopped when it hasn't been granted a license?

Don't ignore the question this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

And I feel sorry for you, I truly do, and I wish I had a couple of spares to help out people like yourself. But at the end of the day I'm assuming anyone flying in from further afield would have researched this kind of thing. And if they knew that these gigs were subject to license there was a chance, however slim of them being cancelled.

Thanks very much ;-)
    tbh I go to a lot of gigs, some are an hour away, some are across the water. It's a chance every concert goer takes when travelling. Flights, trains, hotels and the like all have to be booked. All that can be for nothing if say the artist falls ill etc.

I travelled to Vegas once for a show and it was cancelled, I still went and had a blast. But I would have never have thought about licensing for gigs like this. I would assume once the tickets go on sale all should be fine. I've been to many stadium gigs and never thought of this scenario.

That's just bull, sorry now but who checks to see if a concert has a licence before buying a ticket 5 or 6 months before the gig?! doesn't matter if your coming from down the road or china, no one checks this and shouldn't have to but as this is Ireland we now find ourselves the laughing stock again
    Because this is the first time a gigs been cancelled ever.

Legal action against what? How can you get a gig stopped when it hasn't been granted a license?

To be fair though once I bought the tickets, like many others would just "assume". Tickets are in my hand, why would I think there is no actual gig? Make sense?

I understand what you are getting at though.

Tilikum wrote: »
    What if you bought the tickets on donedeal? Hard copies

Unfortunately you won't get a refund then because you didn't get it from official sources. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

"Steven71 wrote:
    I would assume once the tickets go on sale all should be fine. I've been to many stadium gigs and never thought of this scenario.
    Welcome to Ireland, where a wink and a nudge supersedes the law

Lol, I've seen "subject to license" on my outdoor concert tickets, just automatically thought all that would have been sorted BEFORE the tickets went on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

...not in this case, where the law has trumped the winking and nudging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Jamsiek wrote: »
    The promoters are to blame, too much greed

The residents are to blame, selfish, tunnel vision, no regard for 160,000 other people or the damage they're doing to stop a few people walking on "their" street

Court injunction. They didnt have to wait for DCC decision.

They wanted to hang croke park and the gaa. And drag down 400000 drunken fools. Like we're all drink and cause havoc.

Stop pretending you're sympathic to the fans here and head on over to the after hours thread.

• Advertisement

Appeals could be made on economic and tourism grounds.

Maybe they can get it voted into law by monday.

In fairness the planning process needs a huge overhaul.
    This should have been done years ago.
    It's been so badly handled by everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement