Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

nm wrote: »
    The residents are to blame, selfish, tunnel vision, no regard for 160,000 other people or the damage they're doing to stop a few people walking on "their" street

Who actually spends the time in the stadium for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Steven71 wrote: »
    To be fair though once I bought the tickets, like many others would just "assume". Tickets are in my hand, why would I think there is no actual gig? Make sense?

I understand what you are getting at though.
    And I thnk it's very understandable that you and others would think this.
    But it was the promoters who failed to inform people.
    They knew about the Croker/residents issue, and must have known that objections would be raised.
    And, as proven by the DCC decision, that it was unlikely to result in less than the 5 concerts going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

The residents are to blame, selfish, tunnel vision, no regard for 160,000 other people or the damage they're doing to stop a few people walking on "their" street

From what I can understand though, surely this should have been sorted before tickets were released? I'm actually blaming promoters and Croke Park as they must have known about the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

And I thnk it's very understandable that you and others would think this.
    But it was the promoters who failed to inform people.
    They knew about the Croker/residents issue, and must have known that objections would be raised.
    And, as proven by the DCC decision, that it was unlikely to result in less than the 5 concerts going ahead.

Exactly, maybe with this mess it won't happen again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I don't mean to come across harsh, but I would be shocked if someone had the capabilities to book a flight, hotel, transport etc and didn't at least type Garth brooks Dublin into google and at least factored it into their decision.

Never in my life would googling the actions of a few local lunatics around the stadium come into my train of thought when buying tickets.
    The idea that 350 people moaning could stop 160,000 and several millions of euros coming to use a stadium is absurd. No one would anticipate to check something like that by default. It's a hugely unusual situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You may hope that the person you bought them from is an honest and kind hearted person.

Otherwise you're buggered.

How much did you pay?

I bought two off two different people. €65 each. Do I need to send them back to those people?

Exactly, maybe with this mess it won't happen again.....

It could have been made not happen again anyway though, nothing necessarily had to be cancelled at this cost to change the planning laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Never in my life would googling the actions of a few local lunatics around the stadium come into my train of thought when buying tickets.
    The idea that 350 people moaning could stop 160,000 and several millions of euros coming to use a stadium is absurd. No one would anticipate to check something like that by default. It's a hugely unusual situation.
    And the abusive attitude continues......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Court injunction. They didnt have to wait for DCC decision.

They wanted to hang croke park and the gaa. And drag down 400000 drunken fools. Like we're all drink and cause havoc.

Stop pretending you're sympathic to the fans here and head on over to the after hours thread.

A court injunction against what though?
    How can you get something stopped that legally doesn't exist!
    They'd be laughed outta court if they tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

well to be fair, the "agreement" doesn't really mean anything.

it's an An Bord Pleanala decision for there to be 3 special events per year. the GAA and any "agreement" with the residents is basically just some courtesy which isn't legally binding.

It was a written agreement. To say it doesn't mean anything refutes what has actually happened, if it 'didn't mean' anything, all this wouldn't be going on. Going back on their word has come back to bite them, especially in the arrogance it was announced.

• Advertisement

From what I can understand though, surely this should have been sorted before tickets were released? I'm actually blaming promoters and Croke Park as they must have known about the restrictions.

It certainly should have been but it wasn't obviously, it most definitely should not have come to this in ANY circumstance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Aiken knew they were pushing it but went ahead and presumed that as usual money would win out. Its failed for them and a lot of people are venting their frustration in very much the wrong direction. The locals were right to not want 5 nights of their neighborhood locked down especially the week nights. There are even a few posters who are blaming Dublin City Council, the council runs the city and its main concern has to be the residents of Dublin not big businesses or artists. DCC don't gain anything out of canceling the gigs but in fact will lose money thru licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

The local mafias threathed legal action as soon as tickets went on sale. Why didnt they just go for it. It would have left Aiken plenty of time to sort things. They dragged it out just as much.

Mafia?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Court injunction. They didnt have to wait for DCC decision.

They wanted to hang croke park and the gaa. And drag down 400000 drunken fools. Like we're all drink and cause havoc.

Stop pretending you're sympathic to the fans here and head on over to the after hours thread.
    Why do people keep ignoring the fact that it is Gareth Brooks who is stopping 400,000 drunken fools. The council only stopped 160,000. So Gareth is the one f**king over the other 240,000. Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'll say this much; this thread is far more entertaining than his music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Lol, I've seen "subject to license" on my outdoor concert tickets, just automatically thought all that would have been sorted BEFORE the tickets went on sale.

I saw subject to license and I thought that meant the event would be licensed... as in, licensed to sell alcohol :o

They did nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Firstly, the damage they are doing? It's a concert, people need to get that into perspective. Secondly, your blame is aimed completely the wrong way. Lies and disregard from the GAA and promoters is why this has happened. If they had stuck to what was agreed, then there might be some people going to these concerts, because of them all the concerts are now at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A court injunction against what though?
    How can you get something stopped that legally doesn't exist!
    They'd be laughed outta court if they tried that.

I dont know. Ask the croke park mafia residents. They were threatening crap for months. They did not have to wait for DCC decision to seek an injunction, apparently. Mentioned in some article last week. They dragged dragged it out just as much.

When did Aiken apply for the license?

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    They did nothing wrong

Do you have it in you to admit that if you were one of the 70k travelling from overseas for this, or one of the 160,000 with a ticket for it, how the actions of these residents might be considered just a little selfish?

Aikens may have done wrong but they didn't stop the gig. It's only 5 nights. It's 160,000 people put out and having to cancel their plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

salmocab wrote: »
    When did Aiken apply for the license?

From their press-release:
    Aiken wrote:
    In the case of the Garth Brooks event Aiken Promotions submitted the licence application on 17 April 2014

homerjk wrote: »
    Why do people keep ignoring the fact that it is Gareth Brooks who is stopping 400,000 drunken fools. The council only stopped 160,000. So Gareth is the one f**king over the other 240,000. Am I missing something here?

Because some people have blinkers on when it comes to Garth. You think for someone who still gets to see him 3 times they'd be happy, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I dont know. Ask the croke park mafia residents. They were threatening crap for months. They did not have to wait for DCC decision to seek an injunction, apparently. Mentioned in some article last week. They dragged dragged it out just as much.

You do realise an injunction is an interim measure to maintain the status quo until all parties can resolve their issues or go to trial to get a court to decide on the outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's only 5 nights.

On top of 3 nights for "One Direction" plus the clatter of GAA matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Probably posted already, doubt anyone is even reading this thread but Irish Rail and Bus Eireann are doing REFUNDS.

Its not only five nights though its eight this year and sure next year it will be ten nights of the Beatles comeback it has to stop somewhere.

Do you have it in you to admit that if you were one of the 70k travelling from overseas for this, or one of the 160,000 with a ticket for it, how the actions of these residents might be considered just a little selfish?

Aikens may have done wrong but they didn't stop the gig. It's only 5 nights. It's 160,000 people put out and having to cancel their plans.

I feel bad for them but blame should be placed with the promoters and the GAA that broke a deal. It's a sorry mess overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

mikom wrote: »
    On top of 3 nights for "One Direction" plus the clatter of GAA matches.

They can't complain about matches, or even use them as a reason to complain..

They live next to a stadium, don't like matches of all.things, you move

• Advertisement

What about the other 240k who are being put out by Garth throwing his toys outta his pram? Is that not a little more selfish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement