Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yet again, keep it on topic. If it continues with no actual talk or discussion the thread may be locked until after it is decided what's happening with the gig.

Sorry dude... Couldn't help it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Lock it. No more news till monday and its just the same stuff being posted all the time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yet again, keep it on topic. If it continues with no actual talk or discussion the thread may be locked until after it is decided what's happening with the gig.

I'm not sorry. Jonrambo led me astray down memory lane with his smutty pillow talk of yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Lock it. No more news till monday and its just the same stuff being posted all the time anyway.

it's grand here. Now, the other thread in AH, that is a work of art!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Irish Aris wrote: »
    it's grand here. Now, the other thread in AH, that is a work of art!!!

20 something pages added to that or something yesterday so unfollowed it.

No one read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm not arsed scrolling through all of this, any major updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

EyesClosed wrote: »
    I'm not arsed scrolling through all of this, any major updates?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0704/628423-garth-brooks/
    In a statement this evening, the council said it had been consistent in informing the promoter that its main concern was the impact that five consecutive concerts would have on the local area.

A number of interested parties today called for a review of the decision to permit only three of the five Garth Brooks concerts.

A group of local residents, who are not affiliated with others, are signing a petition, saying they would be happy for the concerts to happen if the proposals in the Mulvey report are implemented.

The proposals in that report, carried out by Labour Relations Commission Chief Executive Kieran Mulvey, include a cap on concerts in the future and a €500,000 fund for the local community.

Sinn Féin group leader on Dublin City Council, Councillor Seamus McGratten, has also called on the CEO of Dublin City Council to reverse its decision.

Meanwhile, Mr Mulvey who had been engaged as a mediator between the parties described the current uncertainty as "a debacle".

He described the whole process as a "mess", saying that fans who bought tickets should not be the losers.

He suggested that the GAA might offer to not hold any concerts in 2015 in exchange for getting residents to agree to the five Garth Brooks concerts this summer.

However, there is no indication that this will be the case and a solicitor representing one local resident has threatened legal action if the remaining three concerts go ahead.

Anthony Fay has said an injunction will be taken on behalf of a local resident against the Croke Park authorities and Aiken Promotions unless they call off the concerts by next Monday.

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar said: "The way this happened at the very last minute is clearly unsatisfactory from everyone's point of view and highlights the need to review the major events licencing laws.

"Nonetheless residents have legitimate concerns about five concerts in a row, which the GAA has conceded was a mistake," he said.

"The decision on the licence was made by Dublin City Council and there is no provision in law for it to be appealed or overturned other than by the courts," Mr Varadkar added.

Lord Mayor of Dublin Christy Burke also said he understands the decision not to give permission for two of the planned concerts cannot be changed or reviewed.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Mr Burke said it is a matter for the Dublin City Manager, who was to discuss issues around the concerts today.

Meanwhile, reports that promoters are seeking an alternative venue, such as the Aviva Stadium, for the concerts have been dismissed as there is not enough time for a licence application.

Several venues around the country have said they are prepared to stage the cancelled concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Just a point on the "300 people stopping 160,000 people from enjoying themselves" meme- DCC include the views of the submissions it receives,but they weren't the only basis for coming up with the 3/5 solution. As a local authority they have to consider issues like precedence, the application of law and reaching a decision for the greater good (the greater good being more than 160,000 people wanting to wear cowboy hats for the night. It is rather, a more intangible balancing of all the expressed views so that they don't make reactive decisions to avoid a temporary media furore and instead try to set up a level of expectation that residents, promotoers, artists and the GAA will know what is feasible and what isn't). I was particularly disappointed with Kieran Mulvey's slightly hysterical "we're the laughing stock of the world" pronouncement- I've scanned the world media in brief and they seem more concerned with less pressing issues, like the world cup, sentencing of paedophiles, political instability in Irag etc.

On a general note, I too have missed gigs in the past due to the performer or me not being able to make it, Hawkwind in London, 1987 being a notable and still slightly painful example. Curiously enough, I managed to get through all the stages of grieving and have now been able to rebuild my life. It's not perfect, but when I'm down I go to my happy place, the world can seem ok, if even for a few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Garth Vader

I dont know. Ask the croke park mafia residents. They were threatening crap for months. They did not have to wait for DCC decision to seek an injunction, apparently. Mentioned in some article last week. They dragged dragged it out just as much.

You're deranged. Either that or you've been hitting the cooking sherry.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Limerick fc must get some crowds

Yeah - it must be like the Bernabeu during a Real / Barca match

baaba maal wrote: »
    Just a point on the "300 people stopping 160,000 people from enjoying themselves" meme- DCC include the views of the submissions it receives,but they weren't the only basis for coming up with the 3/5 solution. As a local authority they have to consider issues like precedence, the application of law and reaching a decision for the greater good (the greater good being more than 160,000 people wanting to wear cowboy hats for the night. It is rather, a more intangible balancing of all the expressed views so that they don't make reactive decisions to avoid a temporary media furore and instead try to set up a level of expectation that residents, promotoers, artists and the GAA will know what is feasible and what isn't). I was particularly disappointed with Kieran Mulvey's slightly hysterical "we're the laughing stock of the world" pronouncement- I've scanned the world media in brief and they seem more concerned with less pressing issues, like the world cup, sentencing of paedophiles, political instability in Irag etc.

On a general note, I too have missed gigs in the past due to the performer or me not being able to make it, Hawkwind in London, 1987 being a notable and still slightly painful example. Curiously enough, I managed to get through all the stages of grieving and have now been able to rebuild my life. It's not perfect, but when I'm down I go to my happy place, and the world can seem ok, if even for a few moments.

Spot on. A Local Authority will refuse Planning Permission even if there are no 3rd party objections. The corollary - even if there are 10,000 objections, they won't be entertained unless they are substantive. As for the national "embarrassment"- I don't remember too many utterances in that regard when a f**king mass grave of babies was unearthed in Tuam. But, heaven forfend the hicks can't get their kicks.

(For the Garth Brooks fans : substantive means having a basis in reality. It might be useful for you to acquaint yourself with the concept)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

Spot on. A Local Authority will refuse Planning Permission even if there are no 3rd party objections. The corollary - even if there are 10,000 objections, they won't be entertained unless they are substantive. As for the national "embarrassment"- I don't remember too many utterances in that regard when a f**king mass grave of babies was unearthed in Tuam. But, heaven forfend the hicks can't get their kicks.

(For the Garth Brooks fans : substantive means having a basis in reality. It might be useful for you to acquaint yourself with the concept)

Also worth noting is you shouldn't judge everyone the same.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Attack the post not the poster.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I dunno - the Council are saying there can be no appeal etc, but half a million people - between Irish fans, tourists, and those employed because of the concerts......ridiculous....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I dunno where this jobs malarkey is coming from...are people complaining that those working at the gigs in Croker are going to be affected? or is there something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

WTF dont they build a stadium out in the middle of the country for this type of shyte.....The GAA have plenty of money....ffs...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

WTF dont they build a stadium out in the middle of the country for this type of shyte.....The GAA have plenty of money....ffs...:rolleyes:

They already have a perfectly fine one, been there since 1913. They should move the local residents to the country.

If I move in beside the airport and complain in 20 years should they stop planes from flying?

A sporting stadium that in much more recent times has been used as a massive fundraiser for the GAA. The real implication of this is that where you have games, the event is over by the early evening with the concerts, the local population is discommoded much later at night.

• Advertisement

This is piece in relation to planning stipulation for croke park. It says:

“An Bord Pleanála granted permission for the
    redevelopment of Croke Park Stadium on the 9th
    of March 1993 under Planning Permission
    Register Reference No. 0238/92. Condition 11 of
    the permission allows for three special events
    such as concerts per year to be held in the stadium under this permission subject to the
    approval of an event management plan which is
    required to be submitted by way of compliance
    submission to Dublin City Councils Planning
    Department. Any additional concerts proposed to be held in
    Croke Park in excess of the three permitted per
    year under the permission must be applied for
    by way of a Public Event Licence application to
    Dublin City Council under the provisions of 230
    of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended. The application which can be for one
    or more events must be made a minimum of ten
    weeks prior to the first event.

It is this link:http://votemcauliffe.com/concern-raised-as-planning-doubts-hang-over-garth-brooks-concert/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I dunno - the Council are saying there can be no appeal etc, but half a million people - between Irish fans, tourists, and those employed because of the concerts......ridiculous....

There is no half a million people, There's up to 160,000 people who bought tickets to a gig that didn't get a licence.

This is piece in relation to planning stipulation for croke park. It says:

“An Bord Pleanála granted permission for the
    redevelopment of Croke Park Stadium on the 9th
    of March 1993 under Planning Permission
    Register Reference No. 0238/92. Condition 11 of
    the permission allows for three special events
    such as concerts per year to be held in the stadium under this permission subject to the
    approval of an event management plan which is
    required to be submitted by way of compliance
    submission to Dublin City Councils Planning
    Department. Any additional concerts proposed to be held in
    Croke Park in excess of the three permitted per
    year under the permission must be applied for
    by way of a Public Event Licence application to
    Dublin City Council under the provisions of 230
    of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended. The application which can be for one
    or more events must be made a minimum of ten
    weeks prior to the first event.

It is this link:http://votemcauliffe.com/concern-raised-as-planning-doubts-hang-over-garth-brooks-concert/

So, they had the three concerts, they applied for a further five and were granted three. There was no breach of procedure here by DCC or the backers of the concerts. There was also nothing to stop the promoters applying prior to the ten week deadline. They can talk all they like about engaging with DCC prior to this, but until DCC receives the application they cannot deal it, in the same way that a local authority cannot comment on any proposal for a planning development until they actually receive the planning application. Brooks and Aitken are business people, they gambled on maximising their financial gain and they were unsuccessful. Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Aiken tells RTE still hope for 5 this morning but also mentioned October as alternative for mon/tues shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    Aiken tells RTE still hope for 5 this morning but also mentioned October as alternative for mon/tues shows!

So that shows that the financial reasons for needing to do all five shows at once was bull.....

Plot thickens....Aiken don't have insurance for the event as the insurance only goes live once the licence is granted. Explains their arrogance now! That is really really gonna hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Its clear at this stage its croke park or nowhere - if Brooks is 5 or none and DCC won't budge then other dates at croke park may be plan B at this late stage but who knows how many more twists this saga will take!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

nm wrote: »
    They already have a perfectly fine one, been there since 1913. They should move the local residents to the country.

If I move in beside the airport and complain in 20 years should they stop planes from flying?

This continuous, nonsense argument is still running I see. Unless they told all the residents about 5 Garth Brooks concerts when they all moved in, the point is not only invalid, also a load of bollocks.

The insurance admission this morning explains a lot of things on Aikens side and shows them up very badly, this refusal to do any shows also doesnt show Brooks in a good light either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

nm wrote: »

There has been some baffling posts in this thread but this one really takes the biscuit. Move 27000 people so you can get drunk for an evening? Also, an airport's main function is to facilitate aircraft. Croke Park's main function is not to facilitate mass line dances.

baaba maal wrote: »
    So, they had the three concerts, they applied for a further five and were granted three. There was no breach of procedure here by DCC or the backers of the concerts. There was also nothing to stop the promoters applying prior to the ten week deadline. They can talk all they like about engaging with DCC prior to this, but until DCC receives the application they cannot deal it, in the same way that a local authority cannot comment on any proposal for a planning development until they actually receive the planning application. Brooks and Aitken are business people, they gambled on maximising their financial gain and they were unsuccessful. Am I missing anything?

People mentioned that croke park was in breach of planning laws and they weren't. They were allowed to do what they did. I do agree with you. There was a process involved and DCC followed it to the bone and the decision although it's sh1te for those with tickets I think is fair. They met people half way.

In relation to croke park breaking an agreement with residents, drag them to court for breaking an agreement and hit them with fines or punish them in other ways or something. Why hit people caught in the middle?

On a different note, I love the Irish's sense of humour. A comment on the journal was:

'Burn the ticketholders'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Fortyjocks wrote: »

That doesn't make sense. Do three and come back again and do two.

Im sick of it at this stage. They have taken the fun out of it all.

And as for the all 5 or nothing. He was always for the fans and anyone with a ticket should get to see him.

I dont know what way things are done in the US but they sue over everything so they would get licences before and not after.

But this isnt the USA either and its our planning laws here and dcc granted three. He should cop on (but I still love him).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement