Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

The event licence is deemed to be an "executive function" i.e. the City Manager (now properly the CEO of DCC) is the final decision-maker. Councillors are the final decision-makers where something in legislation is a "reserved function". This is not the case here. The councillors can make all the motions they like calling for Keegan to change his mind- he simply does not have to. This is populist grandstanding nonsense- where was the emergency motion as soon as they got in calling for all homeless people in the city to be provided with emergency accommodation, or any of the other social issues SF were shouting about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Then you have some residents coming out and threatening legal action. They're holding a protest on monday.

Also the residents in favour of the concerts are holding are protest at the same time. Seems to be alot more on this side.

Interesting to see what happens.

Would been interesting to see a a poll done for the residents to see how many are ok with the concert and who are against it completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

The obvious solution would be to allow the 5 concerts to go ahead on the condition that no concerts will be allowed next year? I would be extremely surprised if all 5 didnt go ahead. TRUST ME!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

max life wrote: »
    The obvious solution would be to allow the 5 concerts to go ahead on the condition that no concerts will be allowed next year? I would be extremely surprised if all 5 didnt go ahead. TRUST ME!!!;)

And how do you propose this solution happens?

Hococop wrote: »
    Would been interesting to see a a poll done for the residents to see how many are ok with the concert and who are against it completely

But why do you need a poll? Why didn't the pro-gig crowd go to any of the meetings? Or write letters to DCC themselves? Why wait till after the decisions been made? If the concerts are so important to them why not do even the bare minimum until now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

baaba maal wrote: »
    This is populist grandstanding nonsense
    Exactly. FF and FG have already had their PR moments, now it's SF turns.

If the all five concerts go ahead I'll be happy for those fans.
    But I'll be sorry for those residents that have to suffer as a consequence, and it'll be disappointing to see greed and a disregard for process win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But why do you need a poll? Why didn't the pro-gig crowd go to any of the meetings? Or write letters to DCC themselves? Why wait till after the decisions been made? If the concerts are so important to them why not do even the bare minimum until now.

Well they said on interviews on tv last night that they were never asked to go to any meetings I'd imagine they just expected the concerts to go ahead I mean have you gone to any residential meetings in your area? The people that run them think they are more important then most residents so most ppl just don't bother going

Well they said on interviews on tv last night that they were never asked to go to any meetings I'd imagine they just expected the concerts to go ahead I mean have your home to any residential meetings in your area? The people that run them think they are more important then most residents so most ppl just don't bother going
    I live in phibsboro and I got an invite through the letterbox and I saw posters in Windows through drumcondra. If you don't bother going you can't complain about the decisions made.

Exactly. FF and FG have already had their PR moments, now it's SF turns.

If the all five concerts go ahead I'll be happy for those fans.
    But I'll be sorry for those residents that have to suffer as a consequence, and it'll be disappointing to see greed and a disregard for process win out.

Disregard for a process that has shown now to be flawed?

Well they said on interviews on tv last night that they were never asked to go to any meetings I'd imagine they just expected the concerts to go ahead I mean have your home to any residential meetings in your area? The people that run them think they are more important then most residents so most ppl just don't bother going
    They weren't asked to meetings? Ok. So why didn't they go anyway?

As residents in the area, they knew that there was residents that would object to more than the agreed limit of 3 concerts, so why didn't they organise themselves then to protest for further gigs?

Why haven't they organised in the past (like those that objected) and come forward in previous years for further concerts in their area?

• Advertisement

They weren't asked to meetings? Ok. So why didn't they go anyway?

As residents in the area, they knew that there was residents that would object to more than the agreed limit of 3 concerts, so why didn't they organise themselves then to protest for further gigs?

Why haven't they organised in the past (like those that objected) and come forward in previous years for further concerts in their area?

How do you go to a meeting that you don't know about? Look I feel for the residents who don't want this happening but they already getting 3 now What's the point in turning down 5 when the 3 should not have been granted? Now dcc have opened up the can of worms they can't close

• Registered Users Posts: 33,424 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

max life wrote: »

They tried GAA/residents agreement some time ago. Didn't work. If this idea went ahead, the GAA would probably try to hold 7 or 8 again in 2016.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

How do you go to a meeting that you don't know about? Look I feel for the residents who don't want this happening but they already getting 3 now What's the point in turning down 5 when the 3 should not have been granted? Now dcc have opened up the can of worms they can't close
    As I said, I got a leaflet about the meeting and I'm in phibsboro and I saw posters in Windows in drumcondra, so I don't believe they didn't know, weren't bothered maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There has been some baffling posts in this thread but this one really takes the biscuit. Move 27000 people so you can get drunk for an evening? Also, an airport's main function is to facilitate aircraft. Croke Park's main function is not to facilitate mass line dances.

Obviously that was tongue in cheek :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

As I said, I got a leaflet about the meeting and I'm in phibsboro and I saw posters in Windows in drumcondra, so I don't believe they didn't know, weren't bothered maybe.

And people that live closer didnt get flyers. One person who lives besides CP was told to mind her own business.

Think someone is telling porkies.

And people that live closer didnt get flyers. One person who lives besides CP was told to mind her own business.

Think someone is telling porkies.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Source?

Can you give me a scan of your flyers?

Can you give me a scan of your flyers?

Funnier enough I don't keep flyers lying around the house for 5 months. I also got one off croke park inviting me to their meeting? Am I lying about that as well?

How do you go to a meeting that you don't know about?
    Because you are aware of residents that you know will object and will you actively find out this information for yourself.

And again:
    1. As residents in the area, they knew that there was residents that would object to more than the agreed limit of 3 concerts, so why didn't they organise themselves then to protest for further gigs?

2. Why haven't they organised in the past (like those that objected) and come forward in previous years for further concerts in their area?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads this is getting a bit ridiculous now, calm down will you, I have tickets too and will be very disappointed if the gigs don't go ahead but if they don't then it's hardly the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MOD:
    If people can't refrain from personal attacks I will hand out bans. You all know better and you all have been told on numerous occasions.

Dammit ye made me type in Bold and I hate doing that.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Disregard for a process that has shown now to be flawed?

In what way has the process been shown to be flawed? You don't agree with the outcome but that is a different thing. There was nothing stopping Aiken and Brooks from submitting an application six months ago and working through the issues- they gambled on submitting it with the minimal amount of time and by doing so assumed they knew the outcome before the decision was arrived at. If they thought the entire event licencing system was merely a rubber stamp for their desire to make a shedload of cash (as well as making a lot of country music fans happy) they really need to cop themselves on. A lot of the problems this country is experiencing is due to the same disregard for proper procedures.

The current spin that Brooks won't back down on principle is entirely disrespectful to the fans with valid and licenced tickets for the first three nights imo.

The current spin that Brooks won't back down on principle is entirely disrespectful to the fans with valid and licenced tickets for the first three nights imo.

But it's like picking between his children......

Except it's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What's the deal with trying to get money back? Ticket master on the phone are a joke. Licence has not been granted for Monday or Tuesday but they will not even consider a refund yet until the announcement on Monday. That's if they even pick up the phone at all to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Yawns wrote: »
    What's the deal with trying to get money back? Ticket master on the phone are a joke. Licence has not been granted for Monday or Tuesday but they will not even consider a refund yet until the announcement on Monday. That's if they even pick up the phone at all to answer.

It's not actually cancelled yet, officially.

Except it's not.

In fairness, I'd say some of his fans cringed when he came out with that gem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

nm wrote: »
    It's not actually cancelled yet, officially.

It's not been granted a licence for Monday or Tuesday. Seeing as the tickets were purchased subject to licence, it seems official to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Except it's not.

Chillingly, Brooks has only three children: Taylor Mayne Pearl, August Anna, and Allie Colleen.

Dun.. Dun.. DuNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

1232550297_Dramatic%20chipmunk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

In what way has the process been shown to be flawed? You don't agree with the outcome but that is a different thing. There was nothing stopping Aiken and Brooks from submitting an application six months ago and working through the issues- they gambled on submitting it with the minimal amount of time and by doing so assumed they knew the outcome before the decision was arrived at. If they thought the entire event licencing system was merely a rubber stamp for their desire to make a shedload of cash (as well as making a lot of country music fans happy) they really need to cop themselves on. A lot of the problems this country is experiencing is due to the same disregard for proper procedures.

they didn't submit it in the "minimal amount of time", they did it a month before it was required (which is 10 weeks prior to any event).

pretty much every single outdoor concert/festival submits their licence not long before the deadline as it takes time to put in place staffing plans/facilities plans/security agreements/policing agreements etc.
    they certainly couldn't have done it 6 months ago as it takes time to contrct companies etc.

the process has been shown to be flawed in that it takes forever for licences to be granted. many of the current Marley Park gigs didn't have a licence until the day before the gigs due to the amount of time it takes for the councils to bother doing it.

• Advertisement

pretty much every single outdoor concert/festival submits their licence not long before the deadline as it takes time to put in place staffing plans/facilities plans/security agreements/policing agreements etc.
    they certainly couldn't have done it 6 months ago as it takes time to contrct companies etc.

C'mon now this is a bit of a paper argument, aiken have been around long enough now that this stuff should be second nature to them. Croker hasn't changed shape since last year so they should know what they need in terms of staff/security/arrangements.

There's no way they couldn't have done it 6 months ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement