Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

hynesie08 wrote: »
    An emergency motion for what?

For to be allowed to write a note on fancy paper to the City Manager saying "Pretty pretty please reconsider a decision that cannot legally be reconsidered."

They somehow think this will be a vote-winner for them.

Shinners are not the brightest pennies apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

B0jangles wrote: »
    For to be allowed to write a note on fancy paper to the City Manager saying "Pretty pretty please reconsider a decision that cannot legally be reconsidered."

It's brilliant how everyones trying to come out of this smelling like roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's brilliant how everyones trying to come out of this smelling like roses.

Should not be surprised that somebody called Mary Lou is sticking her banjo in to this redneck issue.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I volunteer at events all over the country, gigs, festivals, parades, sports, cultural events etc I've never been paid and I don't work for any of the people you've mentioned. I do run into the same events staff all the time and their 'staff' are made up of a core paid staff and then interns, work placement & volunteers as I've said and these guys are moving from one event to another - just because Aiken are in trouble doesn't mean that all the ancillary companies are out of work as they tend to have a diverse enough base of events, not just gigs.
    , basing only on site staff. Production is mostly paid, short term contracts, a few interns. Security is mostly uk these days flown in, medics are paid, and supported with volunteers, stage crew local is casual labour, as is rigging, the power and such is outsourced and site build is casual labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Croker is MaryLous constituency. The CC is overwhelmingly SF. They got elected by telling the people that FG and Lab And FF had them living like dogs. They have to be seen to be doing something. Its like shooting fish in a barrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Croker is MaryLous constituency. The CC is overwhelmingly SF. They got elected by telling the people that FG and Lab And FF had them living like dogs. They have to be seen to be doing something. Its like shooting fish in a barrell.
    If they push this through, no-one will ever listen to the Croake Park residents again, and next year there'll be 3 concerts a month. You allow it, it'll set a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

First of all, I put my post on this thread, as it is seemingly entitled 'Garth Brooks Comeback Special', and as it's in the Music forum, I would have assumed that the majority of people posting on this thread would be interested in - or even fans of - Garth Brooks. There's a thread on After Hours about the Residents' objection, where I would have thought people who aren't too pushed about Garth Brooks' music/concerts would prefer to post.

There may be no actual mechanism whereby Sinn Fein, or any other party or individual, can cause the decision of DCC to be overturned, but by being seen to make some stand, I believe Sinn Fein can only benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

First of all, I put my post on this thread, as it is seemingly entitled 'Garth Brooks Comeback Special', and as it's in the Music forum, I would have assumed that the majority of people posting on this thread would be interested in - or even fans of - Garth Brooks. There's a thread on After Hours about the Residents' objection, where I would have thought people who aren't too pushed about Garth Brooks' music/concerts would prefer to post.

There may be no actual mechanism whereby Sinn Fein, or any other party or individual, can cause the decision of DCC to be overturned, but by being seen to make some stand, I believe Sinn Fein can only benefit.

I have tickets for friday and sunday, so can i point out how stupid sinn feins transparent suck-up of a plan is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

the_syco wrote: »
    If they push this through, no-one will ever listen to the Croake Park residents again, and next year there'll be 3 concerts a month. You allow it, it'll set a precedent.

Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

To be honest all this is just one massive clusterfùck, I don't think anything like this would ever happen again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

To be honest all this is just one massive clusterfùck, I don't think anything like this would ever happen again

Who's big enough to play Croke Park anyway. There wasn't anything last year. No announcement for next year and nothing coming soon. And who would touch them after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Who's big enough to play Croke Park anyway. There wasn't anything last year. No announcement for next year and nothing coming soon. And who would touch them after this.

Plenty of big bands who will still play there I bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Jamsiek wrote: »

Neil Diamond might come back, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If this goes through, the clusterfuck won't be a clusterfuck; it'll be procedure.

If this goes through, the clusterfuck won't be a clusterfuck; it'll be procedure.

Very highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Jamsiek wrote: »

There are few bands who could even sell out a stadium the size of Croke Park for even 1 show. U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce, possibly Madonna. 80,000 tickets is a lot to sell. The fact Garth did that 5 times over shows how much the demand is for him to play there.

Of course you would never know it from reading these message boards. Where exactly are all the Irish people who purchased tickets? Obviously not posting here, because a great deal of hatred seems to be directed towards him at Boards.IE. There are a couple of people here siding with Garth, but the rest all seem to be defending the 3 show ruling or calling him all sorts of things for taking a stand for the fans who purchased tickets to ANY of the 5 concerts which sold out in record time.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Who the f@@k does Garth Brooks think he is? " 5 shows or no shows". Rules are rules, doesn't have much respect for the people that bought tickets for the other 3 shows if ya ask me.

There are few bands who could even sell out a stadium the size of Croke Park for even 1 show. U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce, possibly Madonna. 80,000 tickets is a lot to sell. The fact Garth did that 5 times over shows how much the demand is for him to play there.

Of course you would never know it from reading these message boards. Where exactly are all the Irish people who purchased tickets? Obviously not posting here, because a great deal of hatred seems to be directed towards him at Boards.IE. There are a couple of people here siding with Garth, but the rest all seem to be defending the 3 show ruling or calling him all sorts of things for taking a stand for the fans who purchased tickets to ANY of the 5 concerts which sold out in record time.

We're not all like that. I've been a 20 year and 4 months fan of Garth Brooks. Every song he sings is pure gold and not just the songs that get plays on the radio. Im crazy about him, have every album and even got my hands on the hungry years from 1986.

I have never seen him in concert and just devasted over the whole thing. Just three more weeks and my wait is over. The only thing I was looking forward to all my life and for it to be taken away. GB wont back down on the 5 or nothing and I dont blame him. Read something that it was gonna go on fire, so thats standing outside the fire on the playlist. He'll be putting on one mighty show and why should 160,000 have to miss that. Wouldn't blame him if he never came back.

I met him January, went up to Dublin and waited for 5 hours and he came out to us. He didnt have to. He was a proper gentleman, sined autographs and stood for pictures with us. He made my day, my week and my year. At least no one can ever take that away from me.

We dont all hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Who the f@@k does Garth Brooks think he is? " 5 shows or no shows". Rules are rules, doesn't have much respect for the people that bought tickets for the other 3 shows if ya ask me.

Considering the up roar when the 3 nights sold out from fans that queued for nearly a week especially ones in limerick who only get to about ten ppl before they were gone I think he trying to do what he feels is right by getting all shows to go ahead and he won't back down from all or nothing stance unfortunately

Unless you actually live in the immediate vicinity of Croke Park, or you are a Garth Brooks fan with tickets, the fact some of you are posting on this thread is pretty pathetic. Kind of like you have no lives, or nothing better to do with your days.

The human species is a sad lot. The vast majority of you morons are not even going to be impacted either way. Perhaps you should do something productive with your existence, rather than posting on an insignificant message board. Acting like your way of life is going to be harmed by 5 concerts that you won't be anywhere near to begin with.

But far be it from me to stop you. Feel the power from posting your views on these boards, because in the scheme of your lives, it is going to enrich you in the long run. You had better hope they don't end up going through with all 5 shows, because then you will need to block off the next 3+ weeks so you have time to post more attacks about how evil this American singer is, and how he has threatened your Irish way of life by daring to make thousands of fans happy for a few moments. How FU*&ING Dare They!

• Advertisement

Considering the up roar when the 3 nights sold out from fans that queued for nearly a week especially ones in limerick who only get to about ten ppl before they were gone I think he trying to do what he feels is right by getting all shows to go ahead and he won't back down from all or nothing stance unfortunately

And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I don't really care about this topic but the viewpoint that Brooks is 'taking a stand' for the fans is naive/deluded.

He is seeking to maximise his earnings, as anyone else would do in his situation. If his bluff is called, he'll play 3 shows.

Unless you actually live in the immediate vicinity of Croke Park, or you are a Garth Brooks fan with tickets, the fact some of you are posting on this thread is pretty pathetic. Kind of like you have no lives, or nothing better to do with your days.

The human species is a sad lot. The vast majority of you morons are not even going to be impacted either way. Perhaps you should do something productive with your existence, rather than posting on an insignificant message board. Acting like your way of life is going to be harmed by 5 concerts that you won't be anywhere near to begin with.

But far be it from me to stop you. Feel the power from posting your views on these boards, because in the scheme of your lives, it is going to enrich you in the long run. You had better hope they don't end up going through with all 5 shows, because then you will need to block off the next 3+ weeks so you have time to post more attacks about how evil this American singer is, and how he has threatened your Irish way of life by daring to make thousands of fans happy for a few moments. How FU*&ING Dare They!

Only saw this post after my last reply. There's really no need to be combative, calling people morons doesn't strengthen your argument. Whilst this is obviously an 'insignificant' message board in the larger picture, Boards is actually a 'big' Irish website.

If you're not prepared to hear alternative opinions, you might not like it round here.

I read a comment on the journal.ie so I don't how true it is but I think very well is true. He gave 300,000 pounds as a gesture in 97 in a donation to ireland or the croke park community as a gesture. You can bet your ass he would have done the same this time around as a gesture.

AngeGal wrote: »
    I don't really care about this topic but the viewpoint that Brooks is 'taking a stand' for the fans is naive/deluded.

He is seeking to maximise his earnings, as anyone else would do in his situation. If his bluff is called, he'll play 3 shows.

You should have ended with your first paragraph. Honestly, why are you posting when your life is not going to be affected regardless of what happens. Mine and others who bought tickets will be, because.....ahem.....WE HAVE TICKETS.

And I assure you 100% that Garth is not going to play only 3 shows. Do you have any idea how much he is worth? He constantly thanks his fans for his life, and says that his grandkids' grandkids will be wealthy beyond belief, even if he were to never do another thing with his life. In other words, he is set. He plays music and performs because....get this.....HE ENJOYS IT, and he knows that his fans do as well. Not because he fears living a meager existence.

Your national treasure Bono is much more concerned with maximizing his wallet than Garth, as evidenced by the fact his band prices tickets at 200+ Euros whenever they tour, that is when he's not hopping around the world doing photo ops with this politician or that politician.

You should have ended with your first paragraph. Honestly, why are you posting when your life is not going to be affected regardless of what happens. Mine and others who bought tickets will be, because.....ahem.....WE HAVE TICKETS.

And I assure you 100% that Garth is not going to play only 3 shows. Do you have any idea how much he is worth? He constantly thanks his fans for his life, and says that his grandkids' grandkids will be wealthy beyond belief, even if he were to never do another thing with his life. In other words, he is set. He plays music and performs because....get this.....HE ENJOYS IT, and he knows that his fans do as well. Not because he fears living a meager existence.

Your national treasure Bono is much more concerned with maximizing his wallet than Garth, as evidenced by the fact his band prices tickets at 200+ Euros whenever they tour, that is when he's not hopping around the world doing photo ops with this politician or that politician.

Why am I posting? Because it's a major news story in Ireland so I'm interested to read opinions and offer mine, that's kind of the point of this site. Chill the beans, you don't get to decide who's entitled to an opinion.

Why are Americans always so combative when presented with differing views? I can't stand Bono, just as many Irish people can't so perhaps you should do better research.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

AngeGal wrote: »

Garth Brooks and his music are a load of bollocks(IMO), but he'll be paid whether these gigs happen or not.

The residents are as much the victim as the ticketholders which both parties have been screwed at the mo...hopefully common sense prevails and all shows go ahead and methods are put in place to avoid disasters like this from happening again, really feel sorry for those who have given up hols from work,paid for flights, accommodation etc. etc. rescheduling shouldn't be an option let them have their cowboy wearin' day(s) out!

As someone that has traveled specifically for a show a number of times to different parts it would certainly leave a black mark in my copybook about a specific country were something as farcical as this to occur, ah sure refund just wouldn't cut it.

Garth Brooks and his music are a load of bollocks(IMO), but he'll be paid whether these gigs happen or not.

What are you basing this on? Any semi competent lawyer (i'd imagine Aiken has an extremely competent one) would have added conditions that it was subject to licensing being granted.

The residents are as much the victim as the ticketholders which both parties have been screwed at the mo...hopefully common sense prevails and all shows go ahead and methods are put in place to avoid disasters like this from happening again, really feel sorry for those who have given up hols from work,paid for flights, accommodation etc. etc. rescheduling shouldn't be an option let them have their cowboy wearin' day(s) out!

As someone that has traveled specifically for a show a number of times to different parts it would certainly leave a black mark in my copybook about a specific country were something as farcical as this to occur, ah sure refund just wouldn't cut it.

Definitely feel sorry for all those affected and it would annoy me too so we're pretty much in agreement here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

There are few bands who could even sell out a stadium the size of Croke Park for even 1 show. U2, Rolling Stones, Bruce, possibly Madonna.

Really? You would be surprised how many bands do stadium tours.
    Obviously more than you realize.
    I have no problem with people going to Garth Brooks, their choice what they do with their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

AngeGal; a contract would have been drawn up in association to the subject to license Garth was led to believe he was getting 5 gigs whether the amount is the same as he was to play to 400,000 I'd imagine not but he'll be looked after, Aiken on the other hand; would prob not send them under but would be dealt a major blow for sure their main effort this year was these shows.

I only made this point on the previous poster hinting that it might have been about money btw and the above is just reasonable consideration of the facts but not set in stone.

After all only a quick google tells me he bagged a cool 100m plus in Vegas shows r somethin', the fact that Ireland prob needs him more than he needs Ireland is a sad state of affairs, but who am ? Just a poxy onlooker who has no business in a Garth Brooks discusssion thread. Is it Ireland though? All 5 shows in Dublin, what's not in Dublin? This country doesn't go far and wide does it? Such a disappointing country and I'm a resident not a Croke park resident but a resident nonetheless. leave all shows go ahead on one condition we never hear of Garth Brooks again :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement