Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I don't think he'll get anything if the five shows don't go ahead. It's almost inconceivable that the contract didn't have a standard condition stating the agreement was subject to licensing being granted.

I'm sure he doesn't need the money per se, but no matter how much money people have, they always want more.

Anyway I think it might be sorted out yet and the five shows will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Whats with the all 5 or none, that just means that no one gets to see him and effectively the people who don't want the gigs to go on have won. The gigs that are not allowed to go ahead were the last ones to be announced so these were the last people to get their tickets and it would seem fair that if anyone was to miss out it would be them, although I do have sympathy for anyone who had bought tickets and was looking forward to a night out. I think the residents are right not to want to have their lives disrupted in this way. This was always going to be a problem and I think the promoter thought that as usual in Ireland money would win out and for once it didn't the DCC did the right thing by the people who they work for. To not play the other 3 gigs just means that 240000 more people will miss out, nobody else really except id imagine the promoter is out of pocket but I can't imagine too many people will care about them. GB as already pointed out doesn't need the money or the hassle, he seems like a nice guy but thats not relevant, Croke park could use the money as they are a sports org and all their goes into the game however this isn't money they rely on as its the first time they were going to be getting it and the economy could do with the money but sure Dublin and Ireland is a lot bigger than some recording artist and will get by just fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

One thing that has me curious. Garth says he won't back down and DCC say the decision can't be changed even it they wanted to...
    So why have we to wait till Monday or Tuesday for a decision on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He went crowd surfing in 1997.

I want to feel his ass in three weeks time and if this doesnt happen there will be war on Dublin.

KoolKid wrote: »
    One thing that has me curious. Garth says he won't back down and DCC say the decision can't be changed even it they wanted to...

So some politicians can gain some kudos trying to pretend they were doing things to make this right

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    So some politicians can gain some kudos trying to pretend they were doing things to make this right

They're not doing much. Emergency laws aren't going to work.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/no-plan-to-enact-emergency-laws-to-save-garth-brooks-five-concerts-at-croker-30409384.html

They know they can't do anything but they are politicians so they like to try to get some credit for nothing.

KoolKid wrote: »

There's no magical solution. Fed up with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I have never seen him in concert and just devasted over the whole thing. Just three more weeks and my wait is over. The only thing I was looking forward to all my life and for it to be taken away.

Genuinely, if this is how you feel and you are not exaggerating for internet drama, I honestly would feel worried for you and I'd suggest you talk to your GP. Yours is not a healthy reaction.

On the issue at hand, I don't understand some of the hyperbole. "Sold out 400,000 in record time" yet there were still tons of tickets for all different sections freely available for the last few months on Ticketmaster, right up to this week at least. The promoters simply hyped up demand in the same way as a Moore Street trader hawking "the last of the whatevers" only to produce boxes more ftom under the stall. It shows further disrespect for their customers by the promoters. I've seen tons of people posting about going on two or more nights, so the true figure of individuals affected if there were 3 concerts rather than 5 is quite a bit lower than the full 160,000 bandied about.

I heard the interview with the promoter yesterday and cannot believe how disingenuous he was - if even I as random member of the public knew from months of media reports that there were likely to be problems with licencing due to residents' objections, than it is ludicrous for him to portray it as completely unforeseeable. And his point about not being to get insurance for an unlicenced gig suggests that if he didnt draw the same conclusion as a ten-year old would manage, then he is incredibly dim. And you dont get to be in his position by being stupid, so I believe both he and Garth Brooks with his petulant 'five or nothing' statement are cynically manipulating the very people who have handed over hard-earned cssh to them. I find it an amazing propaganda victory that the fans have not turned their anger where it truly belongs.

fiona-f wrote: »
    Genuinely, if this is how you feel and you are not exaggerating for internet drama, I honestly would feel worried for you and I'd suggest you talk to your GP. Yours is not a healthy reaction.

Keep your nasty comments to yourself. Maybe you should go off and tell the thousands of people the same thing, go and see their gp or perhaps get psychiatric help.

Sorry for being a fan of someone. Since when did that become a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

fiona-f wrote: »
    I heard the interview with the promoter yesterday and cannot believe how disingenuous he was.

... And you dont get to be in his position by being stupid

Well, he inherited the business from daddy, so I wouldn't be so sure.. he wouldn't be the first son to bust his father's business through hubris in this country

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Locked again. Will be opened when there is more news re: the concerts.

Reason: too much petty squabbling and bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Huge sympathy for residents and their plight and admire them for there plight ,it's not there fault but we as a country now look like an absolute bunch of idiots.was going Friday night,disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brooks comes out this a bit of an idiot too. Could have easily played the 3 concerts and lessened the overall damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Had tickets for Friday night, bought them the first day they went on sale. Really, really disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Residents 5 - 0 Gaa/Aiken

Somehow I imagine it wont quite be 5-0 given the GAA now have zero incentive to look after that Handball Centre now and rightly so too :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm embarrassed to be quite honest - think of the exposure our country would have got from this, and the money it would have generated. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

miju wrote: »
    Somehow I imagine it wont quite be 5-0 given the GAA now have zero incentive to look after that Handball Centre now and rightly so too :):):):):)

And so it begins.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I'm furious! Garth Brooks has let everyone down. He has his massive announcement on Thursday which is typical. Will he even be back now that 'he doesn't feel welcome'? What an infuriating thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Corholio wrote: »
    Brooks comes out this a bit of an idiot too. Could have easily played the 3 concerts and lessened the overall damage.

Well said, awful pity, had tickets for the 1st night and got them the day they went on sale. Wasnt looking forward to it and the whole fun factor was gone in the last few weeks. Everyone involved looks like right idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

What a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

What a mess.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

he probably couldn't, considering the residents were going to the High Court to stop 3 from taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Well said, awful pity, had tickets for the 1st night and got them the day they went on sale. Wasnt looking forward to it and the whole fun factor was gone in the last few weeks. Everyone involved looks like right idiots

To be honest, I think he may have gone ahead with the 3 concerts, but then that resident applied for the injunction so I think it was game over then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

No I think he comes out of this as a major idiot . If he cared about his fans and not lining his pockets he could have said 3 gigs this year and 2 next year . The 2 that had their licenses denied can be played next year . Just use the tickets from the two shows and it was easy to do . So If you had a ticket for the Monday gig that gets you into the first one and if you have a ticket for the Tuesday gig it gets you into the second one . It's fairly simple and it shows he cares about the fans .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

to be honest I never liked garth brooks. Very fake personality. I feel sorry for his fans. All mr brooks cares about is money and if he cared about the fans he would have put on the 3 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

miju wrote: »
    yep, given the lack of compromise by the Resident's groups on the concerts, the GAA should just ignore them completely on the Handball Club issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement