Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to be quite honest - think of the exposure our country would have got from this, and the money it would have generated. Unbelievable.

Why would you be embarrassed? Heard this a few times. None of the parties involved have any representation of Ireland, or have the ability to procure it.

I'm certainly not embarrassed. Just a big mess between concert promoters, a country singer and stadium owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Since I live a 60 second walk from the bottom of Clonliffe road let me be the first to say.

giphy.gif

Delighted.

To be honest, I think he may have gone ahead with the 3 concerts, but then that resident applied for the injunction so I think it was game over then.

Nah don't think he would have gone ahead. It sounds more like Aikens late dash to the US to convince him wasn't successful, then it was game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Only in Ireland. What an embarrassment this whole fiasco has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Corholio wrote: »
    Why would you be embarrassed? Heard this a few times. None of the parties involved have any representation of Ireland, or have the ability to procure it.

I'm certainly not embarrassed. Just a big mess between concert promoters, a country singer and stadium owners.

It just looks incredibly bad in my opinion - an event of this scale being cancelled 3 weeks before it's due to take place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Embarrassing all round. If I was a tourist I would think long & hard before planning a holiday over here around an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I'm embarrassed to be quite honest - think of the exposure our country would have got from this

I'm sure we'll get plenty of more exposure now.. of the negative kind. Really is embarrassing for Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

RasTa wrote: »
    Since I live a 60 second walk from the bottom of Clonliffe road let me the first to say.

giphy.gif

Delighted.

What a sad sad person you are, ok fine your happy they got cancelled lets hope Dublin gets no more gigs after this and see how ye like coming down the country for the big headliners and start moaning then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

yep, given the lack of compromise by the Resident's groups on the concerts, the GAA should just ignore them completely on the Handball Club issue.

What lack of compromise? There was supposed to be 3 concerts & the city ruled that there could be 6 instead of 8. That's compromise. The only lack of compromise is on Garth Brooks side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hard luck, woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It just looks incredibly bad in my opinion - an event of this scale being cancelled 3 weeks before it's due to take place.

shows get cancelled all the time due to illness etc.

its the people who bought tickets on donedeal i feel sorry for, no refunds for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Where is the man of the people Bono?? Surely he's all for charradee and will play instead?

Failing that, are Big Tom and Travelers still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Very embarrassing for the country and dublin. This fiasco can have some very bad long lasting effects for the economy. For example, this will be looked at when we eventually put our bid in for the rugby World Cup.

Many millions of euros for our economy lost both directly and indirectly as a result of this.

What a sad sad person you are, ok fine your happy they got cancelled lets hope Dublin gets no more gigs after this and see how ye like coming down the country for the big headliners and start moaning then!

Why? He has a pretty good reason for being happy with it, I think that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Well said, awful pity, had tickets for the 1st night and got them the day they went on sale. Wasnt looking forward to it and the whole fun factor was gone in the last few weeks. Everyone involved looks like right idiots

His original quote of '5 concerts or none' was a bit stupid to be honest and it sounded that either:

1. The promoters wrote his script and he was unaware of the background
    or
    2. He is an obnoxius idiot who wanted his payday

Either way, this has ended very badly and alot of people have come out of this looking very stupid. I pity the majority of the local residents who will now feel the full-force of the IT warriors who will flood the internet with their venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irishgeo wrote: »
    shows get cancelled all the time due to illness etc.

its the people who bought tickets on donedeal i feel sorry for, no refunds for them.

Well, this is a completely different situation altogether, that's not a great comparison really. Of course gigs get cancelled due to illness etc. but that cannot be helped and they are usually rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

RasTa wrote: »
    Since I live a 60 second walk from the bottom of Clonliffe road let me be the first to say.

giphy.gif

Delighted.

no interest in garth brooks myself but that is just
    incredibly sad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Staggering from the residents. Just staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well done to DCC. They made a difficult decision while been hammered on all sides.

Garth Brooks comes off like a dick for this.

Sooo the residents got 2 concerts cancelled and Brooks cancelled 3.

I'm pretty sure people should work out their venom mathematically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Complete embarrassment on Ireland's part. Don't blame Garth if he never comes back here

Absolutely gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

anything that involves the greedy gaa and sulky, whinging residents has fiasco written all over it.
    feel sorry for the fans. they were looking forward to the concerts but irish greed and whining raised it's ugly head.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OK people. I'm going to write this in bold so it's perfectly clear.

If this thread falls into personal insults again people are going to get banned.

I hope this is clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Well done to DCC. They made a difficult decision while been hammered on all sides.

It wasn't really a difficult decision, given the lack of accountability around the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

hynesie08 wrote: »

Garth Brooks comes off like a dick for this.

DCC voted last night for all 5 concerts to go ahead?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Too everyone moaning about the residents and the council, why didn't he just play the three?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

What am I going to do with all these cowboy hats i was planning on selling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm sure we'll get plenty of more exposure now.. of the negative kind. Really is embarrassing for Ireland...

On the one hand yes, on the other it's a good day in that for once the country hasn't rolled over for someone like Brooks and given into his childishness and the greed of the promoters. I'd rather be embarrassed than seen a as a soft touch that rolls over just because Brooks and Aiken say so.

Theres enough blame to go around for everyone involved with this I think, from the GAA , promoters , residents, the council/laws on event planning. I just hope it learned from and can never be allowed to happen again.

The ones I feel most sorry for are those who booked hotels and flights , they will be hit the hardest in all of this, I bet we won't hear the Dublin Chamber of Commerce asking the hotels to "think of ireland" and refund people who paid in advance or had deposits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Official statement from Brooks.......... countrymusic/statement-gbrooks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

What am I going to do with all these cowboy hats i was planning on selling ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement