Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

The Nal wrote: »
    Staggering from the residents. Just staggering.

hang on a sec. I'm a resident (inside the cordon). I feel bad for the fans who are missing out, and I genuinely dont (and have said it many times on this and AH forum) have a problem with the gigs.

GAA screwed up royally. Then Garth threw his toys out of the pram. Sure some residents are idiots, but the root cause of all this lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Irishshin wrote: »
    Complete embarrassment on Ireland's part. Don't blame Garth if he never comes back here

Absolutely gutted.
    You must be joking? It was he who threw his toys out of the pram. edit:^^^ Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm certainly not embarrassed. Just a big mess between concert promoters, a country singer and stadium owners.
    +1
    Eoin247 wrote: »
    Very embarrassing for the country and dublin.
    I actually would feel pride more than embarrassment, not letting these bunch of scumbags get away with walking all over people, friends in low places indeed.
    Many millions of euros for our economy lost both directly and indirectly as a result of this.
    Hopefully Aiken will get fined that €12million that was talked about, to somewhat compensate the taxpayer.

Also just google and you will find other concerts have been cancelled due to stuff like this, so dunno where this "only in ireland" nonsense is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is going to be amusing, I sold tickets through Donedeal for this. I wonder will I get the refund on the tickets that I've already sold :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

No inteest in the concert, but this is a shocking embarrassment for Ireland. What a laughing stock for the rest of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Disappointment here. Can't see any come back from this! Like another poster had said, the fiasco over the last week or two really took the excitement out of it. Self and hubbie had tickets for Sunday night, we got premium level and were looking forward to experiencing that. Friends had Monday night tickets and when they found out they were cancelled, as much as they said they weren't too upset over it, we couldn't very well be excited about the concert in front of them! Then we had doubts whether our night would go ahead so I am glad now that there is clarity at least.

Tomorrow's news will be taken up with pointing the finger of blame.....

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Delighted! Give me my money honey!!! :P

FGB

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

No inteest in the concert, but this is a shocking embarrassment for Ireland. What a laughing stock for the rest of the world

Hardly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How will this impact tourism? I would imagine 90% of tourists coming here haven't a clue who Garth Brooks is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good start to the Rugby World Cup bid for 2023!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

DCC voted last night for all 5 concerts to go ahead?!

No, no they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

I think the 'rest of the world' is pretty busy concentrating on bigger issues than some comeback gigs by a jaded country star to be honest. I wouldn't worry too much.
    Party Off Garth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DCC voted last night for all 5 concerts to go ahead?!

They can vote to express an opinion, but Councillors don't vote on Planning matters anymore. It was discontinued after public reps in this City were found to be rotten corrupt to the core, if you remember.

Planning decisions now rest with the City Manager (chief exec) on the advice of the professional planning staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quick everyone blame the wrong people, bloody residents.
    First 2 gigs cancelled is Aikens and GAA fault
    rest of gigs Garth Brooks fault
    We will get by without a petulant musician coming to our country just fine and maybe we will now get a better system for events in Croker in particular and in the country in general sorted out now

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

I Can smell the Sh*t coming out from DCC as we speak, wonder who had the balls to step up and make the next play... Enda has his poker face set!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Shame on DCC.
    Owen Keegan and Christy Byrne should resign or be impeached if they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This is going to be amusing, I sold tickets through Donedeal for this. I wonder will I get the refund on the tickets that I've already sold :pac:

Do you still have the contact details for the people you sold to? I'm sure you'll do everything in your power to reimburse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Big garth fan really peed off but can't understand why he didn't do 3 as it was originally only 3 concerts

No relevance. RWC will be planned in detail to the hour, years in advance. A cack-handed cluster f*** like this failed promotion will not arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I Can smell the Sh*t coming out from DCC as we speak, wonder who had the balls to step up and make the next play... Enda has his poker face set!

Funnily enough, I was just wondering if this was a play to try and force all gigs through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

First of all, I am a Brooks fan, saw him in Dublin at Croker, and in Belfast at King's Hall.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd be arsed now. He could have played the 3. Injunction or not, he could have ploughed on until it was taken away. IMO he has tried to play a bluff and then huffed when that bluff was called. Lost a lot of respect for him. Talking about not feeling welcome when he knows damn well that there's a few hundred or thousand at most who didn't approve and the entire rest of the country who were either attending or at the least welcomed his presence.

That said, the DCC have made a mess of this. The mess created by denying the license has been infinitely more than the mess that would have been created by allowing them. The concerts should have been allowed but stern agreements put in place and agreed by Croker and all potential promoters.

Finally...

Has anyone found out when we get our money back?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They can vote to express an opinion, but Councillors don't vote on Planning matters anymore. It was discontinued after public reps in this City were found to be rotten corrupt to the core, if you remember.

Planning decisions now rest with the City Manager (chief exec) on the advice of the professional planning staff.

Agreed that was a wise move as plenty were corrupt but coming out in this instance saying that it will negatively affect dublin in the millions when the City manager doesn't think so shows just how silly it makes all them look..

Big garth fan really peed off but can't understand why he didn't do 3 as it was originally only 3 concerts

Because the greedy fat lump saw he was getting €27 million in ticket sales, and decided to fire more money at his tacky stage setup. My guess is when he saw how much his margin would be cut by losing two gigs, he cancelled the other 3 in order to be able to make a claim against the promoter and the insurance.

Id say Aikens have but months left of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

calex71 wrote: »

The ones I feel most sorry for are those who booked hotels and flights , they will be hit the hardest in all of this, I bet we won't hear the Dublin Chamber of Commerce asking the hotels to "think of ireland" and refund people who paid in advance or had deposits.

Who pays in advance for Accomodation? Also, as somebody involved in the trade, I can guarantee you that the majority of hotels will refund the deposits off their own accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

With injunctions planned, Im not surprised he has pulled the plug.
    How long should he wait and see if he is allowed go ahead with the 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nice try....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DrPhilG wrote: »
    First of all, I am a Brooks fan, saw him in Dublin at Croker, and in Belfast at the Odyssey.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd be arsed now. He could have played the 3. Injunction or not, he could have ploughed on until it was taken away. IMO he has tried to play a bluff and then huffed when that bluff was called. Lost a lot of respect for him. Talking about not feeling welcome when he knows damn well that there's a few hundred or thousand at most who didn't approve and the entire rest of the country who were either attending or at the least welcomed his presence.

That said, the DCC have made a mess of this. The mess created by denying the license has been infinitely more than the mess that would have been created by allowing them. The concerts should have been allowed but stern agreements put in place and agreed by Croker and all potential promoters.

Finally...

Has anyone found out when we get our money back?

Aiken Promotions will be issuing details tomorrow.

Who pays in advance for Accomodation? Also, as somebody involved in the trade, I can guarantee you that the majority of hotels will refund the deposits off their own accord.

Not through some websites who are able to offer such big discounts thanks to upfront payments of the full amount? Correct?

Funnily enough, I was just wondering if this was a play to try and force all gigs through

Could well be a last resort from aikens as garth brooks doesn't need the money from this, but either way someone is in for a long night in dublin!!

• Advertisement

Agreed that was a wise move as plenty were corrupt but coming out in this instance saying that it will negatively affect dublin in the millions when the City manager doesn't think so shows just how silly it makes all them look..

They saw what way the wind was blowing alright.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement