Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hopefully that will be the end of the friends in high/low places jokes that have blighted the nation for the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No relevance. RWC will be planned in detail to the hour, years in advance. A cack-handed cluster f*** like this failed promotion will not arise.

It does have relevance. When we put in our bid for the RWC they will look at how other events were managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

If you think Garth Brooks only signed 3 then another your mad!

He signed up for 5 from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Who pays in advance for Accomodation? Also, as somebody involved in the trade, I can guarantee you that the majority of hotels will refund the deposits off their own accord.

People who use some of the more popular accommodation websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Eoin247 wrote: »
    It does have relevance. When we put in our bid for the RWC they will look at how other events were managed.

It doesn't really. Croke Park can have as many sporting events as it pleases (and the number of sporting events has increased in the past few years) so there won't be a licensing issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Are we supposed to prostrate ourselves before him and beg for foregiveness? We have laws, the laws were applied and that's the way it should be. I'm sorry for everyone who wanted to see him, but this thing of sending negotiators off to meet him is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I feel sorry for the genuine fans here but the blame for this has to lay at the feet of Aiken Promotions. How he thought the Croke Park residents were going to sign off on 5 gigs on consecutive nights is beyond belief. If there had been a break between the gigs, maybe there would have been no problem, who knows. But it was naive in the extreme to think that there wouldnt be objections. I know I wouldnt want people pissing in my garden and getting sick over my wall 5 nights in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I didn't see any hope last hope last night for these gigs to be saved. I did much of my mourning and grieving last night with plenty and plenty of tears. Still very disappointed today with more tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Irishshin wrote: »
    Complete embarrassment on Ireland's part. Don't blame Garth if he never comes back here

Absolutely gutted.

He was a regular visitor was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

seachto7 wrote: »
    How will this impact tourism? I would imagine 90% of tourists coming here haven't a clue who Garth Brooks is.

I presume people are referring to the fact that 70k out of the 400k tickets were from overseas, so they would have had flights and accommodation etc, and Ireland looks bad from that perspective?

I couldn't give 2 shíts about GB or his music tbh.

3 concerts per year had been the agreed limit for gigs, so everyone just assumed that this was a 'special case' and there had been discussions with the residents assoc and with the planners, before these gigs were announced (and tickets sold).
    If not, well then the blame lies at the feet of the GAA and Aitken imo, who were incredibly arrogant in their approach.

Bad news for his fans all the same, irrespective of who's to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it Brooks himself who cancelled the original 3 gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It doesn't really. Croke Park can have as many sporting events as it pleases (and the number of sporting events has increased in the past few years) so there won't be a licensing issue.

Course it matters! Its not the simple.

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jebus84 wrote: »
    What am I going to do with all these cowboy hats i was planning on selling ?
    Take them to the ploughing championships :)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

all i can do is laugh

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Another Eminem job, he will announce another gig in 5 years and everyone will fall back in love with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Has Garth come out himself with an official statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Nal wrote: »
    Course it matters! Its not the simple.

Jesus Christ.
    It is that simple.
    One is a sporting event the other are concerts that require a licence.
    Croker won't be hosting 5 games in a row in the way the concerts were being implemented.
    The planning for the WC would be done well in advance, not poorly organised in the way Aiken planned these concerts.

Also, this isn't making big news outside of here, and won't affect the WC bid.
    And not everyone who will hear of this will care, they'll be interested in the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I guess there's been a few Unanswered Prayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This had me in stitches https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garth-brooks-no-longer-feels-welcome-in-ireland-1.1859252

No longer feels welcome in ireland they say. Seriously ????

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JB101

Having been a Garth fan long before it was popular (more than 20 years) I think this is an absolute disgrace
    The residents around Croke Park should be ashamed of themselves and their begrudging attitide. Besides the anger felt by 400,000 potential concert goers, some of whom queued for a number of nights in rain etc the amount of damage done to our reputation internationally is massive

Dublin County Council also need some manners put on them so that they stop making such decisions in a vacuum from the commercial entities who are looking at losing significant revenue as a result of this. The degree of importance that these planners appear to attach to themselves is intolerable and disgusting and they need to be brought down a peg or two

I suggest 400,000 potential concert goers turnup at Croke Park to protest and see how that goes down with the planners and residents !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Garth is just talking rubbish now if he's saying that he's not welcome in Ireland. What a load of BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

leahyl wrote: »
    Garth is just talking rubbish now if he's saying that he's not welcome in Ireland. What a load of BS.

Melodramatic n all as it is you can obviously see why he's saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've got tickets for the Chris Gaines gig in Billy Brennan's bar in Ballybunnion. Will that be affected as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I can't see how any official in Ireland is to blame for Aiken booking an extra two concerts and selling tickets for it without permission.

It's like building a big mansion in the middle of a town without applying for any planning permission. It's sort of against the rules. Why DCC should have to make an allowance for GB is beyond me. Follow the same rules as everyone else and possibly now Aiken will remember to do things legally and properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've got tickets for the Chris Gaines gig in Billy Brennan's bar in Ballybunnion. Will that be affected as well?

No but Mike Denver's one-night run at Dalymount Park is goosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Should have got him in a jersey and given him a hurley so, call the music a half time show. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

The responsibility for all of this has to lie on with Aiken Promotions.

They should not be allowed to promote or host an event for significant period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What implications does this have for Aiken going forward? I can see big artists being wary of going anywhere near them with a bargepole following this omnishambles. Will we be left with MCD having a monopoly on big gigs for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What lack of compromise? There was supposed to be 3 concerts & the city ruled that there could be 6 instead of 8. That's compromise. The only lack of compromise is on Garth Brooks side.
    from DCC, arguably, given that they never said there could only be X amount.

not from the Residents, who started a High Court action yesterday to stop 3 going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

skeg16 wrote: »
    Another Eminem job, he will announce another gig in 5 years and everyone will fall back in love with him!!

Hardly, eminem went into rehab for drug addiction. Brooks is just acting like a spoilt little child

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement