Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I can't see how any official in Ireland is to blame for Aiken booking an extra two concerts and selling tickets for it without permission.

It's like building a big mansion in the middle of a town without applying for any planning permission. It's sort of against the rules. Why DCC should have to make an allowance for GB is beyond me. Follow the same rules as everyone else and possibly now Aiken will remember to do things legally and properly.

It's sort of against the rules but has been the way that event planning has been done in this country for years. It's very common for events to only get a license a week before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

obriendj wrote: »
    The responsibility for all of this has to lie on with Aiken Promotions.

They should not be allowed to promote or host an event for significant period of time.

May not be an issue. They'll be doing well to survive this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nm wrote: »
    Melodramatic n all as it is you can obviously see why he's saying that.

Yeah 400000 paid for tickets to see him, you are as deluded as Garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

leahyl wrote: »
    Garth is just talking rubbish now if he's saying that he's not welcome in Ireland. What a load of BS.

I don't think he said that. It's you man Mulvey that came out with that gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Not impressed by Mr Aikens performance on national radio this week. As this debacle lies at the feet of aikens promotions and the GAA as a result of their promoting and selling tickets without planning they dont seem to be pushed about constructive solutions to the problem. I would be saying to them to waive their profits for a 3 day event and use this money to subsidise GB's share of the cake.If he can make as much from a 3 day gig as from a 5 day gig then I'm sure he'd jump at it.The GAA and Aiken promotions would salvage some of their reputation and save a fortune in legal costs when GB sues the pants off them.
    I dont have a vested interest in this but I hope that whoever is responsible in the GAA together with Aiken promotions is held to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What he's doin' now is tearin' us apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Larbre34 wrote: »
    May not be an issue. They'll be doing well to survive this at all.

Well if they're banned from promoting and/or running events (i.e. their entire business!) then they definitely won't. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction, this one would nearly hit you in your own face!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think this thread needs to be added to the list of legendary boards threads.

Like the guy on the IT facebook page said "I feel like I've just watched the last episode of a really good TV series".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Aiken should organise 3 Grunge Gigs for croker next year in a row and see how the residents will like all the acid heads all over the place. It would be like sticking 2 fingers in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

paconnors wrote: »
    Aiken should organise 3 Grunge Gigs for croker next year in a row and see how the residents will like all the acid heads all over the place. It would be like sticking 2 fingers in their face.

Stereotyping much there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to be quite honest - think of the exposure our country would have got from this, and the money it would have generated. Unbelievable.

Id be more embarrassed if the gigs had gone ahead and the entire world thought we were a nation of Garth Brooks fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

dobsdave wrote: »
    With injunctions planned, Im not surprised he has pulled the plug.
    How long should he wait and see if he is allowed go ahead with the 3.

yep, once the legal proceedings were initiated yesterday, this could drag on for god knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

RasTa wrote: »
    Too everyone moaning about the residents and the council, why didn't he just play the three?

I think Garth Brooks didn't want to be in a situation of going along with a ruling where fans going to the 4th and 5th shows would miss out, through no fault of theirs, if the first three went ahead.

It would be unfair to them, considering the great efforts fans went to get tickets, the days and hours people spent queuing, if because they were going to the 4th and 5th shows, that they would miss out.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you had a ticket for either of the last two shows, if the first three were held?

Not all fans who queued for the first three shows were successful in obtaining tickets and many of those would have managed to get tickets for the 4th and 5th gigs.

There were unfair suggestions that those who got tickets for the 4th and 5th shows were jumping on the bandwagon and not real fans.

I think that is the point he was making when he made the comment about choosing one child over another, for which he was unfairly criticised.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing because these shows were unique and not part of a world tour, and as a result that there may have been a difficulty rescheduling the 4th and 5th shows, considering the scale of the stage production for these Croke Park gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Acid heads.. At grunge and rock..

You may want to come out of the 70s stereotypes there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

calex71 wrote: »
    This had me in stitches https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garth-brooks-no-longer-feels-welcome-in-ireland-1.1859252

No longer feels welcome in ireland they say. Seriously ????

How the hell can he be an impartial mediator while spouting ****e like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

I take offence at the stereotyping... everyone knows Grunge gigs attract Stoners, what you want is a bit of Drum n Bass for the Acid heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JB101 wrote: »
    I suggest 400,000 potential concert goers turnup at Croke Park to protest and see how that goes down with the planners and residents !
    surely they should be going to Aikens HQ?

there was most certainly no secret that there would be massive objections. I remember it was a really big deal in the media for U2 to get granted a third gig in one year.

I expect I could easily sell out tickets for a BBQ & free bar in Bono's house, or in the grounds of Áras an Uachtaráin. Now if I sell them all months in advance and then ask permission and bono or the president says feck off would you suggest protesting outside their house?!?

-I would hope your issue would be with me, the conniving little bastard who knew fine well it would be objected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

cython wrote: »
    Well if they're banned from promoting and/or running events (i.e. their entire business!) then they definitely won't. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction, this one would nearly hit you in your own face!

Are you saying they should be allowed continue unpunished?

a ban may make other event organizers think before jumping the gun and over planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

a ban may make other event organizers think before jumping the gun and over planning.

The 400000 people with tickets should just not go to Aiken gigs. That'd probably be enough to really hurt them if not destroy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Cant say I didnt see it comimg.

Im devasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Garth forever <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I think Garth Brooks didn't want to be in a situation of going along with a ruling where fans going to the 4th and 5th shows would miss out, through no fault of theirs, if the first three went ahead.

It would be unfair to them, considering the great efforts fans went to get tickets, the days and hours people spent queuing, if because they were going to the 4th and 5th shows, that they would miss out.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you had a ticket for either of the last two shows, if the first three were held?

Not all fans who queued for the first three shows were successful in obtaining tickets and many of those would have managed to get tickets for the 4th and 5th gigs.

There were unfair suggestions that those who got tickets for the 4th and 5th shows were jumping on the bandwagon and not real fans.

I think that is the point he was making when he made the comment about choosing one child over another, for which he was unfairly criticised.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing because these shows were unique and not part of a world tour, and as a result that there may have been a difficulty rescheduling the 4th and 5th shows, considering the scale of the stage production for these Croke Park gigs.

This is painting a very idealistic image of the man

This came down to money, not the mans ethical principles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What should they be punished for? (if you consider that they used the same process as they have used in years past and gotten licenses granted).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Cant say I didnt see it comimg.

Im devasted.

I am with you. Will be making new plans for my vacation tonight. Just wanted to say goodbye to you before I get banned. Already have 2 infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Aiken should organise a gig for Swedish house mafia at corker next year

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

This is great day for those of us who believe in a proper planning and licensing system free of political interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Nal wrote: »
    This is worse than when Hitler invaded Poland.

This is the worst thing that ever happened in the history of mankind. I've already had two piña coladas and now I'm setting sail with Captain Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭secman

Word on the grapevine is Garth is penning his latest song.........."Wish I had friends in high places " ...... gets coat and leaves the room

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This is great day for those of us who believe in a proper planning and licensing system free of political interference.

Who are ya kidding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is going to be amusing, I sold tickets through Donedeal for this. I wonder will I get the refund on the tickets that I've already sold :pac:

If you have a shred of decency in you, you will refund the people you sold tickets to
    MadYaker wrote: »
    I think this thread needs to be added to the list of legendary boards threads.

Like the guy on the IT facebook page said "I feel like I've just watched the last episode of a really good TV series".

More like a really bad episode of Dawson's creek from my side of the fence!

You do not know or understand how booking a large gig in this country works. So stop talking crap like this. As it stands right now, NO, not one, non, zip zilch, zero of any of the summer festivals have technically been given planning. This is how the country works. It's the same for Aiken and any other promotor.

Have a read of Jim Carroll's article from the times from last week. That gives you the bare minimum you will need to have a clue. Please do that before you respond in here again, because as it stands all you're doing is whinging and using misinformation to try and form a point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement