Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

obriendj wrote: »
    The responsibility for all of this has to lie on with Aiken Promotions.

They should not be allowed to promote or host an event for significant period of time.

This comment is total nonsense.

Jim Carroll of the Irish Times and Stuart Clark of Hot Press on radio in recent days have detailed the licence application process to which concert promoters adhere.

Both have emphasised that it takes local councils an eternity to respond, adding that if promoters were to wait for their decision it would be far too short notice to organise and arrange logistics for outdoor shows.

Aiken applied for the licence earlier than they were required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

This is great day for those of us who believe in a proper planning and licensing system free of political interference.

There is nothing "proper" about the licensing and planning laws with regards to concerts in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

paconnors wrote: »
    Aiken should organise 3 Grunge Gigs for croker next year in a row and see how the residents will like all the acid heads all over the place. It would be like sticking 2 fingers in their face.
    Nice way to generalize and demean people who are into grunge.
    I'm sure the residents will be sorry that their actions resulted in you not turning up in their area.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr.S wrote: »
    Statement from the GAA regarding the cancellation of the Garth Brooks Concerts: http://www.gaa.ie/7cd559

That's quite interesting, GAA blaming DCC, it is very weird that the DCC gave 'no indication at any time' the concerts were not going to get the green light.

That's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

lordgoat wrote: »
    That's quite interesting, GAA blaming DCC, it is very weird that the DCC gave 'no indication at any time' the concerts were not going to get the green light.

That's bizarre.

Something odd is up - DCC claiming they always said that five concerts would be too much and Aiken/GAA saying they were never told that.

• Advertisement

That's bizarre.
    GAA didn't say that they had any indication that they were going to get the green light either.
    It's all spin at this stage to avoid the blame.

5 concerts in a row was always unlikely; not sure why Croker/Aiken pushed it by going for so many given that objections were going to be lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What should they be punished for? (if you consider that they used the same process as they have used in years past and gotten licenses granted).
    There were claims the law might be broken and they might be punished with a €12million fine.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/garth-brooks-concert-promoters-broke-3641940
    Garth Brooks concert promoters broke the law, furious Croke Park residents claim

And you are right they would be very familiar with the process, and very familiar with all hte media sensation with the fact U2 unexpectantly were granted 3 gigs in 1 year, there was 1 other concert that year. So it was a real rarity to get 4 gigs in a year I think it was the only year there were 4. Now they wanted 8?!? double!

As it stands right now, NO, not one, non, zip zilch, zero of any of the summer festivals have technically been given planning. This is how the country works. It's the same for Aiken and any other promotor.
    Yes, and other promoters have not taken the piss anyway like this. There have been numerous objections to slane gigs over the years. I think the max has ever been 2 days in a year in slane, a few years. Now if mountcharles went selling tickets for 4 dates (double the previous max), or 6 dates (4 more than before) then I would not be moaning about slane residents if they objected.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Lord mayor of dublin on TV3 begging brooks to come back to sort this out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

LordMayor of dublin on TV 3 now talking nonsense , coming out with some real classics :D

Calling him "Gareth" Brooks, and telling the touching story of the 17 year old girl who is losing 3 days work catering for the shows, and wanted him to ask enda kenny to make the gigs go ahead. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I suppose it was only appropriate that the organiser of a Garth Brooks gig had a "better left to chance" approach to planning permission...

what a shambles... Garth Brooks himself has a lot to answer for... This sanctimonious crap about the gigs being "like his children"... There were only THREE organised until the tickets sold out!.. It was more like he HAD three kids, then he adopted two.. but then the birth parents came back and he had to hand the two adopted kids back.... And he should have still looked after the three kids he had in the first place.!!

Each gig was more like a golden goose than a child..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I am with you. Will be making new plans for my vacation tonight. Just wanted to say goodbye to you before I get banned. Already have 2 infractions.

Doubt he'll ever come back to Ireland again. I'm going to catch him on his world tour when he announces it and pick somewhere in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Davie89 wrote: »
    This is painting a very idealistic image of the man

This came down to money, not the mans ethical principles

yes, i'm sure the 3rd biggest selling artist in US history behind The Beatles and Elvis, about to announce a tour which will see him selling out arenas and stadiums across America, is really desperate for the extra few quid those 2 concerts would have brought in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id be more embarrassed if the gigs had gone ahead and the entire world thought we were a nation of Garth Brooks fans!

Well that's clearly already known since the tickets sold in the first place ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭mosstin

Population of Ireland 4.5 million - 400,000 disappointed Garth Brooks fans = 4.1 million people going to bed tonight who do not give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Lord mayor of dublin on TV3 begging brooks to come back to sort this out..

Ah stop, throw some rocks at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

calex71 wrote: »
    LordMayor of dublin on TV 3 now talking nonsense , coming out with some real classics :D

Calling him "Gareth" Brooks, and telling the touching story of the 17 year old girl who is losing 3 days work catering for the shows, and wanted him to ask enda kenny to make the gigs go ahead. :rolleyes:

To be fair, alot of people,myself included, are missing out on 5(or 3) solid days pay due to this, which when you don't have a lot more means quite a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

yes, i'm sure the 3rd biggest selling artist in US history behind The Beatles and Elvis, about to announce a tour which will see him selling out arenas and stadiums across America, is really desperate for the extra few quid those 2 concerts would have brought in. :rolleyes:

Sure why get paid for it at all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there was a film in the works, that exposure would have been priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

5 concerts in a row was always unlikely; not sure why Croker/Aiken pushed it by going for so many given that objections were going to be lodged.
    It's a one-off event and is not part of any tour. Five was probably the minimum number of nights needed to make the effort financially viable.

Qs wrote: »
    The 400000 people with tickets should just not go to Aiken gigs. That'd probably be enough to really hurt them if not destroy them.

That's another ridiculous comment.

There are certain bands who have been promoted over the years by specific promoters, for example U2 with MCD and Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen with Aiken and Leonard Cohen with POD Promotions.

As well as that the promoters use certain venues, like MCD and The Olympia and since Tripod closed, many of PODs gig have been held in the Button Factory, as well as Vicar St (for example Chic last October).

Would you leave a nice venue like Vicar St - that Aiken use for their indoor gigs - lying vacant while you boycott Aiken's gigs?

Do you just want there to be only one or two music promoters operating in the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Couldn't care less about Garth Brooks but I'm a music fan in general. Whilst I see the pros and cons of the concert, surely the 50million boost to the economy which is being reported should be the main concern to a country who is attempting to come out of recession. The taxes lost on spending due to the fall in that weekend (although small in the overall context) to the government could have eased the next budget that will impact the ordinary individual and this includes Croke Park residents? Will they complain as hastily when income and indirect taxes are increased? If the Croke Park residents were as proactive in cases that really mattered, perhaps this country wouldn't be in the sh1t it is already in!

Reekwind wrote: »
    It's a one-off event and is not part of any tour. Five was probably the minimum number of nights needed to make the effort financially viable.
    I don't know how many nights it would have taken to make a profit worthy of making the effort; but given the likely objections (after the 3x1D concerts) it was risky of them to put on the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Lets not forget that an injunction was submitted to the High Court this week by solicitors representing Croke Park residents with the aim of preventing the thre licenced concerts. That may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is an announcement within a week ot so that Brooks will play the Aviva stadium in August at some point instead. It would have been a logistical nightmare to move the gigs, transfer tickets etc but to actually just start from scratch and holds some concerts in Aviva wouldn't be.

Perhaps not but it's a lot to ask of someone to come and play concerts when the residents around the stadium and going through the courts in an attempt to prevent them taking place. Especially so just mere weeks before you are due to take to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lets not forget that an injunction was submitted to the High Court this week by solicitors representing Croke Park residents with the aim of preventing the thre licenced concerts. That may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is an announcement within a week ot so that Brooks will play the Aviva stadium in August at some point instead. It would have been a logistical nightmare to move the gigs, transfer tickets etc but to actually just start from scratch and holds some concerts in Aviva wouldn't be.

Perhaps not but it's a lot to ask of someone to come and play concerts when the residents around the stadium and going through the courts in an attempt to prevent them taking place. Especially so just mere weeks before you are due to take to the stage.
    one resident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

This is what it all boiled down to lads. Like has been said before purely residents trying to play a game of poker and all have busted out now

313851.jpg

I know money is a factor, but what would you say to anyone who had tickets for the 4th and 5th sold out shows, if the first three went ahead?

It's not as if they were cancelled due to low ticket sales.

Pious14 wrote: »
    If the Croke Park residents were as proactive in cases that really mattered, perhaps this country wouldn't be in the sh1t it is already in!
    Eh? The residents were to monitor the banks, the politicians, the developers?
    You're going OTT with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

bennyl10 wrote: »
    To be fair, alot of people,myself included, are missing out on 5(or 3) solid days pay due to this, which when you don't have a lot more means quite a bit..
    A lot of business were looking at having to close because of the lockdown, of course they still would have had to pay rates, rent etc, but they would have been inaccessible to their customers.
    City Manager made the right call, and Brooks has been shown up for the greedy egomaniac that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't know how many nights it would have taken to make a profit worthy of making the effort; but given the likely objections (after the 3x1D concerts) it was risky of them to put on the event.
    I think it's been badly handled (particularly by the GAA, as venue owner) but I can perfectly understand the need for and insistence on five nights. If this were part of some massive European tour then the missing two nights wouldn't be an issue.
    ...Brooks has been shown up for the greedy egomaniac that he is
    Now that's silly. Do people really think that Brooks toured due to the goodness of his heart or a need to share his music for the world? If the margin on the event isn't good enough then why would he do the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reekwind wrote: »

If that's true then it was doomed from the start and even more brazen and irresponsible of Aiken to grubbily grease the wheels of the event and hope they kept spinning to the end.

Brooks could have done the 3, anything else is an excuse. 5 nights in a row is considerably cheaper than 5 nights any other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement