Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

miju wrote: »
    This is what it all boiled down to lads. Like has been said before purely residents trying to play a game of poker and all have busted out now
    Yes, Facebook, the new Wikipedia of 'facts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

miju wrote: »
    This is what it all boiled down to lads. Like has been said before purely residents trying to play a game of poker and all have busted out now

313851.jpg
    can you give some background to this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The only Garth we can trust.

Dana-Carvey-dans-Wayne-s-World_portrait_w858.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,610 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

one resident

Completely agreed.

It's time we stopped calling these the croke park residents and just called them the nimbys. There appears to have been far more "croke park residents" who wanted the gigs to go ahead than didn't.

But of course, weak laws and incompetent civil servants rule the day again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Lets not forget that an injunction was submitted to the High Court this week by solicitors representing Croke Park residents with the aim of preventing the thre licenced concerts. That may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is an announcement within a week ot so that Brooks will play the Aviva stadium in August at some point instead. It would have been a logistical nightmare to move the gigs, transfer tickets etc but to actually just start from scratch and holds some concerts in Aviva wouldn't be.

Perhaps not but it's a lot to ask of someone to come and play concerts when the residents around the stadium and going through the courts in an attempt to prevent them taking place. Especially so just mere weeks before you are due to take to the stage.
    The resident didn't leave it until weeks before the concerts they have been trying to get the GAA to stick to their agreement for years.
    The Aviva, which has a significantly smaller capacity than Croke Park is limited to 3 events a year, I think you will find that is a non runner.
    More importantly Brooks has alienated a lot of his potential audience with his histrionics and petulance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

can you give some background to this please?

Theres been an ongoing longstanding legal case between the Handball Centre and the GAA.

Strangely enough one Eamon O Brien (from Tipperary living in Castleknock) is on the board of Croke Park Residents Comittee and the Handball Centre as well as alot of the initial objectors to the concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

A lot of business were looking at having to close because of the lockdown, of course they still would have had to pay rates, rent etc, but they would have been inaccessible to their customers.
    City Manager made the right call, and Brooks has been shown up for the greedy egomaniac that he is.
    5 days vs 360..

But That's why the city council, and dublin businesses all called for them to go ahead though.. Egotistical ism..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lord mayor of dublin on TV3 begging brooks to come back to sort this out..

Plea-as, plea-as, plea-as :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Eh? The residents were to monitor the banks, the politicians, the developers?
    You're going OTT with this.

Ya I know, just this thing is dominating everything-if people were as passionate about other things rather than a meaningless concert, we might be in a better position. What are people going to think of Irelabd from the outside-were even more of a laughing stock internationally now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭latynova

Astounding the number of people here who think that Garth Brooks cares about them. He's a greedy businessman as is his promoter. They wanted to hold *illegal* concerts to make themselves loads and loads of money. That's it.

Good for the residents. I wouldn't want that disrutption 24/7 for two weeks, which is what it would have been.

Promoter totally at fault here.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Plea-as, plea-as, plea-as :D
    We're sooooooo soooooooo sorreeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

latynova wrote: »
    Astounding the number of people here who think that Garth Brooks cares about them. He's a greedy businessman as is his promoter. They wanted to hold *illegal* concerts to make themselves loads and loads of money. That's it.

Good for the residents. I wouldn't want that disrutption 24/7 for two weeks, which is what it would have been.

Good, I don't want to come visit your country. Going to Norway & Sweden instead.

latynova wrote: »

are we not trying to promote business? Do you think google made that video about how much they love Ireland because they actually love us? NO it's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good, I don't want to come visit your country. Going to Norway & Sweden instead.

Don't read the history books of basically any country in the world if thats how you choose locations, you'll have to stay at home then.

Good news for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Pious14 wrote: »
    Ya I know, just this thing is dominating everything-if people were as passionate about other things rather than a meaningless concert, we might be in a better position. What are people going to think of Irelabd from the outside-were even more of a laughing stock internationally now
    For once it might be nice to discuss anything in this country without hand-wringing over what the neighbours must think of us. That's one of the most irritating signs of the Irish inferiority complex.
    latynova wrote:
    It takes less than five minutes to learn how promotion works in this country. You have not taken that time.

Did you ever wonder what 'subject to licence' means when gigs are advertised? It means that every major concert follows the exact same practice as Aiken. Logistics, and slow Council responses, dictate this. Yet you'd have us believe that every major gig in the country this summer is "illegal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Residents are 100% to blame bitter bitter people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

bennyl10 wrote: »
    To be fair, alot of people,myself included, are missing out on 5(or 3) solid days pay due to this, which when you don't have a lot more means quite a bit..

Ah I didn't mean to belittle the situation regards work etc, lord knows I know what its like. It was more a dig at the Mayor for getting out the violin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

How do you make that ?

You could say Garth brooks is a greedy multi multi millionaire . After all he got the go ahead for 3 gigs . He can have two of them next year problem solved .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How?

Planning permits three non-sporting events per year, already used for One Direction. Aiken/GAA got greedy and got stung, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Cannot understand why Limerick Junction Racecourse is not used for such events. It's next to a mainline station and just like Glastonbury plenty of rain and subsequent mud. Catering contractors could provide food and toilets etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Only in Ireland. What an embarrassment this whole fiasco has been.

Yeh, no other country would buy 400,000 tickets......... in all honesty more likely to be about 150,000 or less who actually bought tickets...... a lot of punters were going 2,3 and 4 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Reekwind wrote: »
    It takes less than five minutes to learn how promotion works in this country. You have not taken that time.

It also takes less than five minutes to realise that according to the agreement upon the redevelopment of the stadium, NO MORE THAN 3 NON-SPORTING EVENTS PER YEAR ARE PERMITTED. That limit was reached with the One Direction concerts earlier this year.

Croke Park should never have been eligible for one Garth Brooke concert, never mind five.

And your point is .................????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He can't go to Norway or Sweden cos they wouldn't buy 420,000 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Why not have it in Marlay Park. Nobody over there seems to complain and its better suited for transport being close to the M50 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

calex71 wrote: »
    Ah I didn't mean to belittle the situation regards work etc, lord knows I know what its like. It was more a dig at the Mayor for getting out the violin out.

Think this thread has just made,me overly argumentative :p

It also takes less than five minutes to realise that according to the agreement upon the redevelopment of the stadium, NO MORE THAN 3 NON-SPORTING EVENTS PER YEAR ARE PERMITTED. That limit was reached with the One Direction concerts earlier this year.

Croke Park should never have been eligible for one Garth Brooke concert, never mind five.

The conditions actually almost guarantee 3 events, once all criteria are met. anything after that, its up to DCC to decide and in this instance they decided 3 more... a very fair decision in Brooks favour you would say....... but he took his ball and said "Im not playing "..... spoilt brat behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Sorry I can't "Thank" this more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

RTE news now saying that Council Planning Authority offered permission for 4 concerts but Brooks management insisted 5 shows or no show !! So much for loving his Irish fan base !! Greed and arrogance all round - GAA/Promoter and Mr Brooks in equal measure !
    Totally laughable that Enda Kenny felt it necessary to comment on the matter in the Dail ( has he not more important fish to fry) and The Lord Mayor of Dublin should plead with Brooks to reconsider his pull out from Ireland . More creditable had they said he was no longer welcome here !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Anais Mitchell is playing Whelans on Nov 6th. Tickets €20

She's without question one of greatest Country/Folk artists on the planet today. Gareth Brooks wouldn't be fit to tune her guitar!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement