Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah fcuk this, must think positive. Must plan my next venture. Who's up for a USA trip to see GARTH if he announces a tour on Thursday. I did have a massive Croke Park fund for 5 nights. My new USA fund.

That's the right attitude, you should make a big road trip of it HardLuckWoman, Grehound bus it from venue to venue or even interail it in Europe. I genuinely hope you got all your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it true GB offered to do two shows per day (from licenced days)

Yeah, Peter Aiken said it. But the conditions DCC set out was no music before 6pm so that wasn't possible. And then you have people flying in on Monday for a Saturday show. It doesn't work.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's the right attitude, you should make a big road trip of it HardLuckWoman, Grehound bus it from venue to venue or even interail it in Europe. I genuinely hope you got all your money back.

Win the lotto and follow him on his world tour. Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,008 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Happyman42 wrote: »
    At last, a fan with a sense of perspective...enjoy your few days in a good city.
    and I'd be pushing for a reduction in my room rate now; back down to normal pricing territory ;)

• Advertisement

Win the lotto and follow him on his world tour. Yes please.

In a Dodge Challenger.

dodzy wrote: »
    and I'd be pushing for a reduction in my room rate now; back down to normal pricing territory ;)

Or cancel and re-book again where they will have dropped their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

In a Dodge Challenger.

Please, it's country music we're talking about here, it has to be a pickup truck of some description! :D

Steven71 wrote: »
    Ah well a few days in Dublin it is, won't bother cancelling anything. Flights all booked anyway. Dublin looks a nice place, looked very nice in that Mrs Brown film....... ;-)

You'll be made welcome, any questions, nip over to the Dublin City forum, plenty of helpful people willing to let you know what will be going on that weekend, where to go, best restaurants, best places to visit etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,600 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I hope no Brazilians in Dublin had tickets to this, it would be a day to forget for them.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Please, it's country music we're talking about here, it has to be a pickup truck of some description! :D

Sorry. Ford SVT Raptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

dodzy wrote: »

I booked our hotels before the shows went on actual sale. So got em at a good deal.

You'll be made welcome, any questions, nip over to the Dublin City forum, plenty of helpful people willing to let you know what will be going on that weekend, where to go, best restaurants, best places to visit etc...

Ahhh cool, thanks have some questions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ah fcuk this, must think positive. Must plan my next venture. Who's up for a USA trip to see GARTH if he announces a tour on Thursday. I did have a massive Croke Park fund for 5 nights. My new USA/Garth Brooks fund.

Good woman yourself Hope you get most of your money back and I mean that! You'll see GB yet hsrdluckwoman just not in CP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Im absolutely delighted with the result. the lack of respect shown towards the residents have been ridiculous, for my family, that live canal end, do not have to worry about disruptions. heart goes out to fans tho and to anyone that got touted and payed over for tickets!!

Shame for all the fans though, who had no idea this was all going on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Pious14 wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about Garth Brooks but I'm a music fan in general. Whilst I see the pros and cons of the concert, surely the 50million boost to the economy which is being reported should be the main concern to a country who is attempting to come out of recession. The taxes lost on spending due to the fall in that weekend (although small in the overall context) to the government could have eased the next budget that will impact the ordinary individual and this includes Croke Park residents? Will they complain as hastily when income and indirect taxes are increased? If the Croke Park residents were as proactive in cases that really mattered, perhaps this country wouldn't be in the sh1t it is already in!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: lets have a garth brooks concert to ease the budget :rolleyes::roll eyes: absolute terrible input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

CP tours will do well on the 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Serves Brooks and aitkin right. Greed as ever got the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do hope this don't put GB and other artists off playing in Ireland in the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

KoolKid wrote: »
    No... I'm but if you research Garth Brooks like I suggested you will see he has a reputation for wanting things right the way he wants it. He is known for staying over what he was believes in even if it costs him money.

It's pointless talking.

I was reading in Q magazine that he has lost out on over €100m in earnings due to his stubbornness about not wanting people to able to buy his music on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify etc etc. He wanted to sell just full albums on iTunes for example and when I made this point, about how Brooks is a guy who has a history of making decisions which cost him money over time, not make it, I was told that he only doesn't want to sell music on iTunes so he can force his fans to buy more CDs, the greedy so and so..

You can't win. Certain people will see what they want to see, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Serves Brooks and aitkin right. Greed as ever got the better of them.

Dont forget the GAA who started the whole fiasco . They new well that there was only 3 gigs allowed (which 1D did) . They should have never said yes to Aiken in the first place . Now im not saying Aiken are not totally to blame but after the GAA gave them the go ahead they did follow protocol with applying for everything etc.

Dont think it will have a big affect on artists playing big gigs over here since its the first time this kinda thing has happened over here

EDIT: Wonder are MCD working behind the scenes to nab the concerts and get GB to do gigs with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I do seriously hope these concerts can go ahead and a proper solution found. SHAME on ALL involved I say. Aiken showed a mix of greed and unprofessionalism, GAA too, Enda Kenny and the government showed once again that they are NOT a government (a government is supposed to GOVERN such like a teacher teaches or a builder builds. A government is meant to FIX things like this with a solution that makes all happy). And the Dublin authorities seem truculent and rigid in their dealings.

Some say this is 'only a concert by a popstar'. But it is not: it shows a whole unprofessionalism to the world. "Ireland cannot stage proper legal concert events" and "Ireland can't solve minor legal glitches" is what this fiasco says to the world. That on top of all the greedy bankers and politicians still free and being bailed on. Once more it outlines the gang of incompetents we still have in government.

If this is 'only a pop concert'. god help us in a nuclear war or terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is it greed though?

The demand was clearly there, people wanted these shows. Aiken are a business, which I think people are forgetting, they are in the business to make $$$$$$.

I wouldn't call putting on 5 concerts greedy, but they defiantly had poor planning. Should have gone to the residents first imo.

I think this was the main stumbling block. Had they asked the residents before announcing the extra dates they might have been more accommodating.

Ireland can't solve minor legal glitches

On the other hand, it can be read that Ireland has planning laws that can't be politically interfered with or overrode with a wad of cash, from here on, they are taking it seriously. Starting in the capitol, communities have to be consulted with, be it an interfering gig, pylons, wind turbines etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

On the other hand, it can be read that Ireland has planning laws that can't be politically interfered with or overrode with a wad of cash, from here on, they are taking it seriously. Starting in the capitol.

Planning laws can never be interfered with by anyone other than those who make them. They are made by politicians and can be changed to suit politicians. If Enda Kenny wanted something changed, he'd get it done. But he and the government are indifferent to this and don't want anything to upset their summer hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Greedy promoter? You'd swear he was forcing people to go... All he did was align demand with supply.

The concerts weren't a sell-out and many people bought tickets for multiple nights.

Even if it *was* a sellout, supply and demand shouldn't govern all. Many businesses would run wild if they weren't held to certain standards and regulations.

Aiken took the piss here and it backfired on them. 2-3 nights likely would have had a licence granted for them, and that would be 20-30 million of the quoted 50 million figure would be accounted for as opposed to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

baaba maal wrote: »
    My understanding is that the GAA chose, in the event of wanting to host more than three special event a year, to be bound to the Regulations covering event licences, so:this
    well then you have absolutely no understanding of the situation whatsoever.

every gig, be it less than or more than 3 special events, is bound by what you linked to.
    One Direction was bound by it, Brooks would have been bound by it, Arcade Fire were bound by it, Longitude will be bound by it, Electric Picnic will be bound by it.

latynova wrote: »
    Because he'll sue Aiken for guaranteed millions.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    Because now he can sue aiken for 5 nights money?
    neither of you clearly have any basic knowledge of live music contracts.

Brooks will get to keep some money which will already have been paid as a deposit.
    he would have gotten FAR more doing the gigs obviously.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Wonder are MCD working behind the scenes to nab the concerts and get GB to do gigs with them
    the reason Brooks wanted to play Croker and not elsewhere is the stadium was half-building site when he last played before his temp-retirement.
    he said that he'd come back and play when it was finished, so I can't see him doing it anywhere else.

as for MCD, it seems Aiken have a great relationship with most artists (eg. Springsteen choosing to go with them every year despite it making far more financial sense to switch).
    if Brooks ever comes back here, I'd imagine he'll stick with Aiken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement