Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is it greed though?

The demand was clearly there, people wanted these shows. Aiken are a business, which I think people are forgetting, they are in the business to make $$$$$$.

I wouldn't call putting on 5 concerts greedy, but they defiantly had poor planning. Should have gone to the residents first imo.

Yes, it was greedy. Just because demand is there doesn't mean you can just steamroll ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

miju wrote: »
    This is what it all boiled down to lads. Like has been said before purely residents trying to play a game of poker and all have busted out now

313851.jpg

What is Nial Ring's twitter, as rather oddly, I can't find it just searching for his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

have to wonder how much of a hit Aiken will take on this could be damaging in the long run

i also wonder if MCD would have gotten them through they still got permission for dance gig a few weeks after the stabbing at swedish house mafia

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

have to wonder how much of a hit Aiken will take on this could be damaging in the long run

i also wonder if MCD would have gotten them through they still got permission for dance gig a few weeks after the stabbing at swedish house mafia

No , Didnt matter who was promoting the gig it still would have ended the same

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

It's pointless talking.

You can't win. Certain people will see what they want to see, unfortunately.

A statement than can apply to either side.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

a way to stop the touts is that a refund is only available by proof of ticket how they could doo that with online I am not sure though

How would that stop the touts?

If they have flogged their tickets for 3 times face value, losing the original price isn't the end of the world.

All this talk about blame, Brooks, DCC, Aiken etc etc.

Nobody has mentioned those wee feckers One Direction yet!

;)

Apparently all Ticketmaster refunds are to start tomorrow.

But what if tomorrow never comes?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm so pi$$ed off...should have taken that Paddy Power bet..."5/3..no show".....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Group of us booked City West Hotel as we wanted to make a weekend of it
    Paid 370e up front
    Contacted them yesterday - No refund
    Disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Aiken getting a lovely piece in the Indo- he does buy a lot of advertising from them I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Group of us booked City West Hotel as we wanted to make a weekend of it
    Paid 370e up front
    Contacted them yesterday - No refund
    Disgrace

A few hotels are offering full refunds in light of the circumstances. Maybe that will pressure other hotels to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Peter Aitken on Morning Ireland RIGHT NOW...

"You presume you're gonna get the license"... How can he say that... It's almost as if it's up to the council to give him notice if they plan on not allowing do any of his shows... He doesnt seem to understand that the onus is on him to get the planning permission first..

Every time I've heard Peter Aitken throughout this whole fiasco, I havent been impressed by his contributions.. The man has to take a lot of the responsibility for this hugely embarrassing mess up..

So is this definitely a dead duck? And I mean Beyond repair, 100% dead? After the allegations that the DCC offered a 4 gig deal despite publicly claiming that changing the 3 gig deal was impossible I'm a bit sceptical.

Anyone suspect that Aiken is still fiddling behind the scenes to try and get it all done and using the media outrage on lost revenue etc as fuel for the fire?

I'm not fussed either way at this stage, bought my tickets from Ticketmaster and my B&B is fully refundable. Planning a wee weekend in May or instead.

But until the refund from Ticketmaster actually hits my account, I'll hold off on cancelling the B&B...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Peter Aitken: "I promised Garth Brooks five gigs"...

Well, you had no bloody right to promise him five gigs before you had planning permission for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So is this definitely a dead duck? And I mean Beyond repair, 100% dead? After the allegations that the DCC offered a 4 gig deal despite publicly claiming that changing the 3 gig deal was impossible I'm a bit sceptical.

Anyone suspect that Aiken is still fiddling behind the scenes to try and get it all done and using the media outrage on lost revenue etc as fuel for the fire?

I'm not fussed either way at this stage, bought my tickets from Ticketmaster and my B&B is fully refundable. Planning a wee weekend in May or instead.

But until the refund from Ticketmaster actually hits my account, I'll hold off on cancelling the B&B...
    I'm thinking/hoping the exact same :P
    I bought 3 tickets for my mother-in-law as an early mother's day present, I'll never forget her excitement the day I was successful in buying them! Until that money is back in my account I live in hope she gets her evening out with her daughters!
    I went to One Direction with my daughters, they have since gone off them - what a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Peter Aitken: "I promised Garth Brooks five gigs"...

Well, you had no bloody right to promise him five gigs before you had planning permission for them..
    I wonder just when he made that promise. Garth has been so adamant about 5 gigs all along I wonder if Aiken made the promise of 5 BEFORE he announced the first 2/3/4/5 gigs in the press.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OldGoat wrote: »
    I wonder just when he made that promise. Garth has been so adamant about 5 gigs all along I wonder if Aiken made the promise of 5 BEFORE he announced the first 2/3/4/5 gigs in the press.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he did - Garth Brooks Comeback Concert, 5 nights in Croker - how good does that sound?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

OldGoat wrote: »

That's the thing, it's very difficult to proportion blame without knowing what was said, and when it was said. I doubt we will ever find out the full truth either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I said it few pages back

5 concerts was always the deal not 1 not 3! 5 gigs and teased out the idea of 3 and everyone jumped and they rubbed there hands together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Planning laws can never be interfered with by anyone other than those who make them. They are made by politicians and can be changed to suit politicians. If Enda Kenny wanted something changed, he'd get it done. But he and the government are indifferent to this and don't want anything to upset their summer hols.

Wrong in every way. Planning laws are made by the Oireachtas and adjudicated by Council executives and appealed to the independent Bord Pleanala (No appeal for concerts I know)

The Govt arent indifferent, some of them have called it a debacle and an embarrassment, but even they know you do not legislate for exceptions, especially in this case when the laws actually did what they were meant to do, and thats protect people and the environment.

How quickly people forget that planning was rotten corrupt in this country 20 or 30 years ago and only now are we getting into a transparent functioning system. You do NOT pass laws for special interests, that really would be a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Peter Aitken on Morning Ireland RIGHT NOW...

"You presume you're gonna get the license"... How can he say that... It's almost as if it's up to the council to give him notice if they plan on not allowing do any of his shows... He doesnt seem to understand that the onus is on him to get the planning permission first..

Every time I've heard Peter Aitken throughout this whole fiasco, I havent been impressed by his contributions.. The man has to take a lot of the responsibility for this hugely embarrassing mess up..

not really, he has a point.

every outdoor gig in Ireland proceeds on the understanding that the licence will be granted. that's why every ticket has "subject to licence" written on it.

most of the time due to how slow councils move, the licence isn't granted until the week before.
    so the council should be giving notice if they're going to be denied, as every promoter in the country realises that the council takes forever to approve a licence, and in 99.9% of cases, they do, albeit far too close to a gig to make it possible to wait for their decision.

several gigs already this year didn't have licences until 24hours before the event, and these had tens of thousands of people attending.

every concert promoter plans events and sells tickets on the understanding that a licence decision will not be made until shortly before the concert.

obviously they can't wait until a week before a concert when a licence is granted to start selling tickets, build stages, etc etc etc.

obviously in this case it was different, but his general point was completely correct, you presume when you put on an outdoor gig that the licence will be granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

but1er wrote: »
    I said it few pages back

5 concerts was always the deal not 1 not 3! 5 gigs and teased out the idea of 3 and everyone jumped and they rubbed there hands together

Yeah I think that was always in the pipeline. Last November or December, GB came out with something that there's something between now and the the world tour (due for later this year), that he will be taking on and will be the biggest thing he's ever taken on....Appartently, dont know how true it is but he never sold 400,000 like that. (He did play new york for a million people but that was free).

January too, he came out with it, if you guys want five shows, we'll find a way.

So I reckon 5 was always there and this was the biggest thing ever for GB. What a let down for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Sickened! Was hoping someone would step up and fix this today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re"So I reckon 5 was always there and this was the biggest thing ever for GB. What a let down for him."

Theres no way Garth Brooks or Aiken promotions could have forseen a demand of 400,000 tickets.

He would have initially agreed on 3 shows and the costs revolved around these gigs. Im sure he was open to more if the demand was there and was blown away by the unprecedented interest.

To suggest only playing 3 shows was not financially viable is rubbish, he and the promoters would have been rolling in it.

His threat of 5 shows or nothing was just to put pressure on the DCC and unfortunately their stance was set in stone.

Brooks decision to pull the other 3 shows was his alone and while DCC's decision resulted in 160,000 people being let down, Garth Brooks decided himself to disappoint the remaining 240,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

not really, he has a point.

every outdoor gig in Ireland proceeds on the understanding that the licence will be granted. that's why every ticket has "subject to licence" written on it.

most of the time due to how slow councils move, the licence isn't granted until the week before.
    so the council should be giving notice if they're going to be denied, as every promoter in the country realises that the council takes forever to approve a licence, and in 99.9% of cases, they do, albeit far too close to a gig to make it possible to wait for their decision.

several gigs already this year didn't have licences until 24hours before the event, and these had tens of thousands of people attending.

every concert promoter plans events and sells tickets on the understanding that a licence decision will not be made until shortly before the concert.

obviously they can't wait until a week before a concert when a licence is granted to start selling tickets, build stages, etc etc etc.

obviously in this case it was different, but his general point was completely correct, you presume when you put on an outdoor gig that the licence will be granted.
    Is it not the case that the licence can only be applied for something like 12 weeks before the event? It's either 12 weeks or something ridiculous like 4 weeks, which backs up your assertion about the promoter assuming the gig will always go ahead.

It's a ridiculous situation we have over here with regards to the issuing of licences for events. It's a real, 'ah sure it'll be grand' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JB101

Blame it all on my roots
    The County Council are Newts
    They couldn’t organise a Mass
    They thought 5 was unfair
    Now we’re going nowhere
    And we won’t see Croker’s green grass

The residents are in glee
    And their weekend is free
    And the GAA’s losing cash
    So its all up s**t creek and I’m feeling quite weak
    And 400,000 won’t have a big bash

Cause I’ve got friends in no places
    Nobody loves me and the Galway races
    Will have more attendees
    Due to the Councils freeze
    Cause no ones going to sing on the hill
    And poor old Aikens left footing the bill
    Cause I’ve got friends in no places

I guess I was wrong
    Owen Keegan doesn’t like my song
    But hell he won’t be the last
    And if you’re from Mayo to Croker you won’t go
    Cause the semi final you might’ not get past
    So I’m counting my loot
    I’d give Enda the boot
    And for the all Ireland give
    the residents a free pass
    Cause I won’t be there
    And its really unfair
    And subject to licence my ass

Repeat Chorus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Some clowns on the radio one man wonders how Enda Kenny will fix the economy if he can't get all 5 concerts to go ahead :rolleyes: another ejit says Croke park should have been built in a less built up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

From someone else :

The funniest thing of all is that if Garth Brooks had of called his tour "The Gathering" he'd have had every halfwit, inbred, party gob****e for miles tripping over himself / herself to be seen to be involved. He'd have gotten 10 concerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is it not the case that the licence can only be applied for something like 12 weeks before the event? It's either 12 weeks or something ridiculous like 4 weeks, which backs up your assertion about the promoter assuming the gig will always go ahead.

It's a ridiculous situation we have over here with regards to the issuing of licences for events. It's a real, 'ah sure it'll be grand' attitude.
    The application has to be in a MINIMUM of 10 weeks before the event at the latest. The event has to be advertised publicly in the press. The timeframe after that is procedural allowing time for observations to be entered and for consultation with parties involved - Gardí, security, city council, traffic yadda yadda yadda.
    Mr. Aiken claims that he could not put the application in earlier than he did because they were still in negotiation with Mr. Brooks about the finalisation of the stageshow. he sent in the application 10 weeks and 2 days before the gigs - just within the minimum time-frame. The council then allow 5 weeks for observations to be entered and the remaining time is consultation and reviewing the observations.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement