Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Ah fcuk this, must think positive. Must plan my next venture. Who's up for a USA trip to see GARTH if he announces a tour on Thursday. I did have a massive Croke Park fund for 5 nights. My new USA/Garth Brooks fund.

Count me in, I was going to go to one anyway, depending on where they were, but maybe now I can go a little bit further.
    (when money is refunded, and I'm not giving up hope till then :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

obviously in this case it was different, but his general point was completely correct, you presume when you put on an outdoor gig that the licence will be granted.
    That is the normal assumption; but that assumption can only be made when you have covered yourself and made sure that you have given yourself the best possible chance to gain the licence. That did not happen in this case.

They knew 1D had already booked three gigs
    They knew that they would run in resistance getting a licence for just one concert for JB (given the tension between Croker and the residents)
    They went ahead and booked 5 JB concerts, meaning that Croker would be doubling their previous maximum of concerts in a year
    The residents were going to have a strong case to object to all five due the negative effects on them (roads shutoff, 3 of the concerts were on nights with work in the morning...)

Aiken could have made an early approach of reaching an agreement with Croker and the residents to have the 5 concerts and ensure that less concerts in 2015/2016 would have occurred; resulting in reduced likelihood of residents objecting.

Aiken could also have submitted their licence request well in advance (even before tickets went on sale), which they didn't.
    IMO they left it late intentionally and close to the 10 week minimum window, to try pressure the DCC into granting the licence (as 5 concerts were booked, hotels booked, people flights were arranged, money for the country, etc).

His presumption that all 5 would get the green light was inaccurate; he took a huge risk and it failed to pay off.
    He was either incredibly stupid or incredibly arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

OldGoat wrote: »
    The application has to be in a MINIMUM of 10 weeks before the event at the latest. The event has to be advertised publicly in the press. The timeframe after that is procedural allowing time for observations to be entered and for consultation with parties involved - Gardí, security, city council, traffic yadda yadda yadda.
    Mr. Aiken claims that he could not put the application in earlier than he did because they were still in negotiation with Mr. Brooks about the finalisation of the stageshow. he sent in the application 10 weeks and 2 days before the gigs - just within the minimum time-frame. The council then allow 5 weeks for observations to be entered and the remaining time is consultation and reviewing the observations.

not quite, it was 14 weeks and 2 days before the concerts (April 16th).
    so 4 weeks before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

That is the normal assumption; but that assumption can only be made when you have covered yourself and made sure that you have given yourself the best possible chance to gain the licence. That did not happen in this case.

They knew 1D had already booked three gigs
    They knew that they would run in resistance getting a licence for just one concert for JB (given the tension between Croker and the residents)
    They went ahead and booked 5 JB concerts, meaning that Croker would be doubling their previous maximum of concerts in a year
    The residents were going to have a strong case to object to all five due the negative effects on them (roads shutoff, 3 of the concerts were on nights with work in the morning...)

Aiken could have made an early approach of reaching an agreement with Croker and the residents to have the 5 concerts and ensure that less concerts in 2015/2016 would have occurred; resulting in reduced likelihood of residents objecting.

Aiken could also have submitted their licence request well in advance (even before tickets went on sale), which they didn't.
    IMO they left it late intentionally and close to the 10 week minimum window, to try pressure the DCC into granting the licence (as 5 concerts were booked, hotels booked, people flights were arranged, money for the country, etc).

His presumption that all 5 would get the green light was inaccurate; he took a huge risk and it failed to pay off.
    He was either incredibly stupid or incredibly arrogant.

parts of this i agree with, it was always going to be difficult to get a licence for 5 gigs in a row, and Aiken were absolutely crazy to be putting on so many given the situation with the residents.

however, saying that Aiken could have submitted the licence well in advance, and before tickets went onsale is nonsense.
    licence applications have to include the amount of people, the stage dimensions, the facilities, etc etc.
    you can't put in a licence application without having a good idea of how many people are going to attend, and having contracts with various companies and groups put in place. all of this takes time to work out.

if they wanted to leave it late intentionally, they wouldn't have submitted it 4 weeks before they had to.

it's the same with pretty much every outdoor event in the country, including ones that happen in the same place with the same capacity every year.

look at this Electric Picnic poster from a few weeks ago, down in the right beside the sponsors "Subject to licence".
    http://www.fm104.ie/getattachment/65a91b2c-88ce-403b-91e0-250307151849/poster-EP.jpg

Live Nation/POD run that event in the same place with the same setup every year.
    if it's so easy to sort out a licence for events well in advance, why haven't they applied and been granted a licence since last September?

there's any number of regular events that are the exact same, including recent last week's Marlay Park gigs which didn't have their licence granted until the day before the shows, after the stages were built, fans had travelled, and the bands themselves were in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Tazzer wrote: »
    Count me in, I was going to go to one anyway, depending on where they were, but maybe now I can go a little bit further.
    (when money is refunded, and I'm not giving up hope till then :))

After all this, this is definately going to push me to get to him on his world tour. I'd love to see him in his own home state of Oklahoma.

• Advertisement

Not even Tim Howard can save the Garth Brooks concerts now. Too soon? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

LOL, Dara O'Briain on twitter...

"Interesting to see that if Garth Brooks has to choose between his children, he'd sooner they all died"

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

was looking back at pictures of ppl camping outside ticket vendors for days earlier in the year.... had a great laugh.. all for nothing lol

however, saying that Aiken could have submitted the licence well in advance, and before tickets went onsale is nonsense.
    No, it is not.
    If they had gone about their business in a profession manner, they could have submitted their request well in advance.
    The 'before tickets went on sale' was just an example of when they could have submitted their licence request, I didn't say that in this case they should have.
    if they wanted to leave it late intentionally, they wouldn't have submitted it 4 weeks before they had to.
    You've already pointed out the delays that can occur on the DCC side when requests are submitted. So they did leave it late when you consider that this was for 5 concerts (an unprecedented event) that had a high degree of risk attached for approval to be granted.

No one is denying the process that is in place in terms of licence requesting/approval.
    The issue is that in this case, knowing the risk of planning such a huge event as this (without reducing the chance of objections), Aiken didn't play the odds very well.

If I was to give some leniency to Aiken, it might be that they were extremely optimistic that they could arrange/plan such a huge event in such a short window.
    From the initial idea, to the announcement, to the sale of tickets, coping with extra/huge demand, planning the entire event (staging, staffing,..), appeasing residents, submitting their licence request; maybe it was too much to for them to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Is there many people even happy the gigs got cancelled?? I seen online that they estimate the Red Cow Hotel has lost 1.1M including food and drink that would have been spent. Come have been so positive for the economy :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Concerts were cancelled at 3pm yesterday and this thread is still going?
    Everyone is an expert, "if Aiken did this", "if DCC did that" people spending their whole morning rewriting the lyrics to his songs and thinking they're funny and they get three thanks!
    And don't forget the inevitable trolls who come on here purely to agrivate people into a reaction so they can get their twisted kicks they sit in their parents basement with a box of Kleenex on one side and a bottle of hand lotion on the other while they wait for the next "intimet" pixies or the national concert so they can go to that and think they are different and niche.
    I had a ticket for the Sunday, I'm slightly disappointed but life goes on and all the digressing and hindsight ain't gonna get the gigs back on.
    Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread seems to be popular for some reason, I wonder why?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Its not over till Garth sings.

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Come have been so positive for the economy :(
    In terms of helping the economy, it was quite minimal.
    But I guess it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Its not over till Garth sings.

You calling him fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

not quite, it was 14 weeks and 2 days before the concerts (April 16th).
    so 4 weeks before the deadline.

Sorry for that, I pulled the dates from memory without checking back. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting that Denis Desmond is laying the blame at GB's door. He was on the Ray Darcy show earlier and said that GB should've made the compromise for the 3 gigs and rescheduled for the other 2. He also said that the current licencing laws are fine.

Do you think will Mr Brooks ever come back to Ireland or will he turn his back on us after this?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Got the following from ticketmaster.

Garth Brooks - Refunds available from Tuesday 15th July 2014
    Dear customer,

Ticketmaster has put the following cancellation plan in place. It's intention is to make this refund process as simple and convenient as possible for you the ticket purchaser.

You are receiving this email because you purchased ticket(s) over the phone, online or on your mobile and as such please be aware that no action is required on your part. On Tuesday, 15th July a full refund including service charge will automatically be returned to the card used to make the purchase. Please allow 7-10 working days for the refund to reach your account.

Please also note the following in relation to bookings made at Ticketmaster ticket centres:

For tickets purchased through Ticketmaster ticket centres

POSTAL: A refund form is available via the Garth Brooks FAQ page at www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds. Please print, complete and return this form along WITH your GARTH BROOKS TICKETS to PO Box 4695, Dublin 2. Please make a note of the show date and your seat details and retain the left hand portion of the refund form for your records. A full refund including service charges will be processed by bank transfer within 21 days of receiving the form and tickets.

IN PERSON AT TICKET CENTRES: From July 15th you may return your tickets to the ticket centre where you purchased them from and complete the refund form which will be available at the ticket centre from this date. The completed form together with your GARTH BROOKS TICKETS should be handed in at the ticket centre. Please make a note of the show date and your seat details and retain the left hand portion of the refund form for your records. A refund by bank transfer will be processed within 21 days of receiving the form and tickets.

Please note: If you purchased tickets from News & Deli Dundalk /Fassaugh Stores Cabra, Dublin /Whites Wexford /the Irish Shop Ennis/ Cusack Park Ennis, these are no longer affiliated with Ticketmaster. Refunds for tickets purchased at these ticket centres are available from any existing Ticketmaster ticket centre using the same refund process as above or alternatively you can use the postal option set out above.

See www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds for full details.

Ticketmaster would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to this cancellation.

Best wishes,

Ticketmaster Customer Services

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do you think will Mr Brooks ever come back to Ireland or will he turn his back on us after this?

He'll be back, every stadium in the country wants him and the story writes itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would really hate to be one of the many people that bought tickets off a ticket tout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would really hate to be one of the many people that bought tickets off a ticket tout.

Indeed. Nightmare situation, and it's going to be the story for thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hard to see him doing an Irish date on the World Tour

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was also wondering how many of the residents sold the free tickets they were given.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

KoolKid wrote: »
    Was also wondering how many of the residents sold the free tickets they were given.:eek:

What free residents tickets? Local residents do not get free tickets given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

KoolKid wrote: »

I'd really hope that someone wouldn't be stupid enough to buy a ticket that has complimentary written across it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd really hope that someone wouldn't be stupid enough to buy a ticket that has complimentary written across it!

Are you kidding? Brooks crazed fan gets opportunity to buy ticket = easy sale. It wouldnt matter if it had racial slurs written across it to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What about people who won tickets in a competition? Do they need to be compensated with another prize? And local fundraising raffles with GB tickets as a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Are you kidding? Brooks crazed fan gets opportunity to buy ticket = easy sale. It wouldnt matter if it had racial slurs written across it to some people.

No I'm not kidding.
    Anytime comp tickets land in our house, if we don't use them ourselves we give them away to genuine fans. Maybe we are just too honest in our house though :o

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Hard to see him doing an Irish date on the World Tour

You're joking me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement