Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

gafarrell wrote: »
    Got the following from ticketmaster.

Garth Brooks - Refunds available from Tuesday 15th July 2014
    Dear customer,

<snip>

I got the same.

Well that's that then, if refunds have been issued then there's no late breaking deals to be had.

I'm away to cancel my B&B now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

An incredibly messy situation for all concerned. I'm very surprised they didn't come up with some kind of last minute deal, I (and most others) never envisaged that the whole thing would end up being called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Peter Aitken: "I promised Garth Brooks five gigs"...

Well, you had no bloody right to promise him five gigs before you had planning permission for them..

But he had he promised Springsteen a stadium tour of Ireland last year and delivered ... They way the licencing system works he had no reason to believe once a deal was done with the residents it wouldn't happen

he is a good promoter lots of very big acts are very loyal to him most Aiken shows run like a dream compared to mcd shows

They are a true Irish business the want in people to see to them fail astounds me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I don't think whiskey and beer would be able to chase my blues away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I got the same.

Well that's that then, if refunds have been issued then there's no late breaking deals to be had.

I'm away to cancel my B&B now!

I cancelled mine yesterday and booked a cheaper hotel in middle of dublin city for the same dates. Just in case. No cancellation fee anyway. Guess its really all over now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

But he had he promised Springsteen a stadium tour of Ireland last year and delivered ...
    Which is nothing compared to a 5 in a row concert in Croker.
    They way the licencing system works he had no reason to believe once a deal was done with the residents it wouldn't happen
    What deal was done with the residents?
    he is a good promoter lots of very big acts are very loyal to him most Aiken shows run like a dream compared to mcd shows
    Aiken good, MCD bad. Methinks you have a vested interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Holding GB tickets, I held everything
    For a moment wasn't I a king
    But if I'd only known how Aiken would fall
    Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    The residents lives are better left to chance
    I could have missed the pain
    But I'd have had to miss THIS EPIC THREAD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You're joking me

Nope that's how I feel. Sure we'll see next year when dates are announced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Is there many people even happy the gigs got cancelled?? I seen online that they estimate the Red Cow Hotel has lost 1.1M including food and drink that would have been spent. Come have been so positive for the economy :(

I havent met one who was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

No I'm not kidding.
    Anytime comp tickets land in our house, if we don't use them ourselves we give them away to genuine fans. Maybe we are just too honest in our house though :o

Thats very commendable, I would personally do the same but unfortunately not everyone is so generous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Keeping my tickets in an acid-free storage bag - collectables. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Which is nothing compared to a 5 in a row concert in Croker

Springsteens tour was different but unprecedented none the less Aiken delivered

Residents were offered 500k in a legacy fund from gaa

No vested interest but amazing how after the shm debacle people were slating mcd and praising Aiken role reversal now?

Aiken didn't rip anyone off he provided 5 Concerts that people wanted at the time the 1st 3 sold out people were saying it was a disgrace that people who queued didn't get tickets and how the touts were going to make a fortune so they put on 2 more everybody is happy all of a sudden he is satan on places like here and social media

He got the planning in 14 weeks before the date by right he should have had this decision 4 weeks ago maybe could have looked at doing something else but no dcc wait until the last minute yet it's his fault

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

No vested interest but amazing how after the shm debacle people were slating mcd and praising Aiken role reversal now?
    hardly MCD's fault that one or 2 of a rough crowd got stab-happy.
    organisationally, MCD did little wrong from what I read at the time.
    without the stabbings, there probably would have been little mention of it.

MCD run several concerts every week, indoors and out, which are completely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Springsteens tour was different but unprecedented none t.....
    Sure thing Mr Aiken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Sorry if it's already been asked, a lot of pages to go through on mobile but are booking fees and all that stuff that Ticketmaster add on being refunded too?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Sorry if it's already been asked, a lot of pages to go through on mobile but are booking fees and all that stuff that Ticketmaster add on being refunded too?

"On Tuesday, 15th July a full refund including service charge will automatically be returned to the card used to make the purchase. Please allow 7-10 working days for the refund to reach your account."

I cancelled my hotel just now. Feels final now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I don't really where Aiken has gone wrong. As has been said a million times already, rightly or wrongly, subject to licence is how event tickets are/were sold in this country.

He hired the venue from the GAA, the GAA had an agreement with the residents so that part should have been up to them to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I feel sorry for all the people who bought their tickets on the likes of donedeal etc, A lot of them won't be getting any of their money back.

I wonder will the announcement still go ahead tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Which is nothing compared to a 5 in a row concert in Croker.

In fairness, Aikens gigs do tend to run a lot smoother IME, simple stuff like bar queues are often managed horribly by MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

But he had he promised Springsteen a stadium tour of Ireland last year and delivered ... They way the licencing system works he had no reason to believe once a deal was done with the residents it wouldn't happen

They are a true Irish business the want in people to see to them fail astounds me

I also agree that it is shameful that some people on here want to see Aiken fail.

They don't seem to understand how many bands they bring over, for example to have Brian Wilson, Robert Plant, Bob Dylan, Neil Young in Cork over the space of a few weeks.

And if anything happened detrimentally to Aiken, what would become of Vicar St?

But I would add that MCD also run their shows very well.

People here are criticising Aiken with regard to selling tickets before getting approval for the licence application.

Denis Desmond of MCD was on Newstalk today and he mentioned about the licencing process, saying that all promoters apply for licences for major outdoor shows in the same way.

He said that if promoters were to wait for the councils to grant approval, that there'd be no time to arrange and plan out the shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

Well coming from someone in the UK, the news reports today are blaming the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

garth_zpsb7a4ad9c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I feel sorry for all the people who bought their tickets on the likes of donedeal etc, A lot of them won't be getting any of their money back.

I wonder will the announcement still go ahead tomorrow?

Yeah I feel for those people too. Bit of a balls-up.

I sold 4 tickets cost price to a guy in USA, I've emailed him there to say I'll happily refund his money. He hasn't replied yet but I know he booked flights and such already so hope he isn't out a fortune on them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yeah I feel for those people too. Bit of a balls-up.

I sold 4 tickets cost price to a guy in USA, I've emailed him there to say I'll happily refund his money. He hasn't replied yet but I know he booked flights and such already so hope he isn't out a fortune on them also.

Fair play, theres a lot of others out there who either don't have the number of the person they bought them from or do have the number and are reaching switched off phones.

Hopefully ticket master will put something in place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Steven71 wrote: »
    Well coming from someone in the UK, the news reports today are blaming the council.

And so they should be.

Licences were applied for 14 weeks before the concerts were due to take place.. and then eleven weeks later, just three weeks from the concert dates, when preparations were in full swing, trucks loaded, producers hired, flights and hotels book.. DCC suddenly phone the promoter and announce they can't have licences for two of the concerts. Ten minutes later they say they might be able to have four, but only if Garth agrees. How anyone can not see how this must have been extremely frustrating is beyond me.

It's quite obvious that Keegan just wanted to refuse one single concert so he could appease the residents. Cancelling just one concert would not have changed their anger, it would have made it worse if anything. Ban the GAA / Aiken from holding gigs at Croker for two years or something but for a council to say we will give you four and not five licences just screams tokenism for tokenism sake.

Besides, Garth's guarantee to play four before Keegan would put that option to the planners sounds like a complete load of tosh. Why would his guarantee mean anything to planners. They make decisions on many factors but an artist's guarantee not to refuse licences if they are granted are surely to God not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Fair play, theres a lot of others out there who either don't have the number of the person they bought them from or do have the number and are reaching switched off phones.

Hopefully ticket master will put something in place for them.

why would ticketmaster do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

The refund aspect is going to be a nightmare for Ticketmaster. I'll get a refund without having to do anything as I bought it online. People that have hard copies can post them off to get a refund. But there will be people that sold them on, how will ticketmaster make sure that they aren't refunding the same ticket twice I wonder?

Sure thing Mr Aiken.

unbelievably childish response i go to a lot of concert/events mcd scrimp on security and staff in my opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion it doesn't make me Mr Aiken or anything got to do with him people are blaming him because he is a face to direct their anger at ... he isn't completely blameless but far bigger factors in this than him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Tigger99 wrote: »
    The refund aspect is going to be a nightmare for Ticketmaster. I'll get a refund without having to do anything as I bought it online. People that have hard copies can post them off to get a refund. But there will be people that sold them on, how will ticketmaster make sure that they aren't refunding the same ticket twice I wonder?

Would there not be a reference number on the ticket ? If bought online, you're grand. But if its sold on, that would be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Tigger99 wrote: »

The refund is automatic and the hard copies require you to fill in a form and give in the tickets at the same time, and it will take up to 20 days to process. I believe this is in place so that it doesn't happen twice, you can't give in the tickets to an outlet and get paid back straight away, the process with sending off the form will allow them to cross-check with the online-sales

EDIT: Actually it's 21 days for a refund, even if you bring it in. They'll be very careful not to refund the same tickets twice I would think!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement