Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

latynova wrote: »
    Why should *anybody* be expected to move out of their HOMES to accommodate a private business venutre???

Okay, forget about the schools, works, etc. People don't have to give any reason for not wanting to/not being willing to leave their HOME.

I guess you missed the part where I said I agreed with most of the sentiment of your original post barring the school point then......

And if it was 2 months either side of July, I'd have no issue with schools being mentioned!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On Rte news now. Enda is getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Precisely and can you imagine how this sounded down the phone.

DCC:
    "Well Mr.Aiken and Mr/Brooks, I'm sorry to inform you that Dublin City planning authorities are unable to grant you the five licences for the concerts, as due to an agreement the GAA have with the local residents which restricts them to only holding three non-sporting events at Croke Park per year, which they have already used up with One Direction.. but sure listen, we are still willing to offer you three.. how does that sound?"

Brooks:
    "Well, to be honest, I don't think that's very fair on the 160,000 fans that have bought tickets for the final two shows".

DCC:
    "Okay, how about four.. four, will give you four, but now only if you guarantee us that you'll do four. You agree to that and we'll shake on it".

Yet people will still say fair play to the DCC for sticking to their rules. Gas.

yeah, looks like DCC are lying to save face tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Both Aiken and the Gaa have released public statements which make it clear that at no point, from the announcement of the concerts until July 2nd, did the DCC ever give an indication that they would not licence the five concerts, in any of the many meetings they had with them.
    Were they told that they would get them??? No they were not.
    Their assumptions are their own issue.
    He couldn't have applied earlier, as he has said many times. There is a process before licence application also.
    Again, if you could be bothered to read up on some facts, you might not look so foolish. There is no limit to the time before which they can apply. There is only a minimum period of 10 weeks.
    Funny how you want to accept that the DCC need months and months of time to do what they need to do, but you just act like the promoter needs to buy and stamp and an envelope.
    How silly do you want to look?
    I'm not accepting anything other than the standard process that the DCC follow for these submissions. If you are unable to follow something as basic as that, then it's no wonder you are unable to understand the process.
    Aiken applied for the licences four weeks before the deadline, thereby showing that he was not interested in living things to the last minute, as is being bandied about.
    They submitted an application to host 5 concerts in a row, before they had resolved the issue with the residents. That is their failing. It resulted in objections been made, considered, and 3 of the 5 nights getting approval. They pushed it too far and got burned.
    There was oceans of time for them to make a decision. At any stage in their pre application discussions they could have suggested that they would be unable to grant five licences due to the GAA / Residents agreement.
    Again, they never were told that they were getting the 5 night licence.
    You are falling for the spin from the GAA/Promoter.
    Especially considering it was just three weeks away at that stage and 160,000 people were holding tickets for the fates they were refusing to issue licences for.
    Well Aiken knew how long it takes before a decision is made, no matter what you moot point is against the standard process. So why didn't they submit their plans earlier? As evidenced by GB himself, trying to apply pressure, which failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

cython wrote: »
    So rather than try to address the specific point I questioned, you digress and resort to flippancy? Nice. It has been about the standard of debate from plenty of posters on this thread though, to be fair.

What these idiots are suggesting is a voluntary Guantanamo.
    People are behaving like they where personally losing 50 million here...collective hysteria.
    It's a concert, and a night in a hotel and a few drinkies and a ridiculous hat. For the residents it the end of a long period of routine hassle and disrespect and the possibility of more if they continue to lie down.
    Do you think Aitken wouldn't try to have GB back for another 5 nights in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

KoolKid wrote: »
    On Rte news now. Enda is getting involved.

enda-kenny.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭latynova

50 points to anybody who can name any other country in the world in which the leader uses his/her time to care about a cancelled gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

50 points to anybody who can name any other country in the world in which the leader uses his/her time to care about a cancelled gig.
    On here he's a C*nt cuz he did nothing, he's a c*nt if he does something.

May aswell do something then.

Shower of utter gobsh1tes involved in this for last few months need someone to hold their hands.

Shower of utter gobsh1tes involved in this for last few months need someone to hold their hands.

Hmm. No. I don't pay him to try to make rich people richer. I pay him to look after the people's rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

In fairness it shouldnt have gotten to this stage however with that said if he can save this sorry mess I shall take my stetson off to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hmm. No. I don't pay him to try to make rich people richer. I pay him to look after the people's rights.

All leaders make the rich richer- advise of some trickle down effect and laugh all the way to the board when they retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

the Taoiseach gets involved - what a fcuking joke of a government!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

He is getting involved for one reason only and thats not because of the gigs, fans or Mr. Brooks himself.

It's because today I imagine a serious amount of business lobby groups and chambers of commerce kicked up a massive stink via the usual political channels after it became obvious at some of the staggering amounts some business were preparing to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm not getting my hopes up, i just couldn't deal with the despair again

Wasn't it very widely reported that Aiken had flown out on the first flight yesterday morning to beg Garth which is now denied by Aiken, does anybody believe that Garth wrote that letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wasn't it very widely reported that Aiken had flown out on the first flight yesterday morning to beg Garth which is now denied by Aiken, does anybody believe that Garth wrote that letter?

I think that story was originally spread by Irelands own Comical Ali, Kieran Mulvey.

Who I now dub "Comical Mulvey"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No ,its a joke of a country that it has come to the stage where the head of state is now involved .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just for those who reckon that two concerts can be fitted in for the following weekend.

The August Bank Holiday weekend (2/3 August) sees All Ireland Football qualifiers on the Saturday and the first round of quarter finals on the Sunday. The next weekend (9/10 August) sees the second set of football quarter finals and the first of the hurling semi final while the weekend afterwards (17 August) is the second hurling semi. Finally the football semi's are on the 24th and 31 August while an American Football game is listed for August 30.

Unless the GAA have wholesale match cancelations or pitch moving, there are no alternate dates to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

It doesn't sound very well written. "I was told the concerts were being cancelled".

Who cancelled? Was it Garth and his 5 or nothing or was it Peter Aiken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Just for those who reckon that two concerts can be fitted in for the following weekend.

The August Bank Holiday weekend (2/3 August) sees All Ireland Football qualifiers on the Saturday and the first round of quarter finals on the Sunday. The next weekend (9/10 August) sees the second set of football quarter finals and the first of the hurling semi final while the weekend afterwards (17 August) is the second hurling semi. Finally the football semi's are on the 24th and 31 August while an American Football game is listed for August 30.

Unless the GAA have wholesale match cancelations or pitch moving, there are no alternate dates to work with.

I would hope that all GAA activities would be cancelled to facilitate any dates that might be of interest to GB...can't take any chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

And why not, it affects 1 in 10 people in banana republic of ireland.
    He talks about gay rights and straight rights and animal rights so why cant he talk about folks going to the biggest series of concerts that this country will ever see. OR not see.

1 in 10 people are GB fans. thats 400,ooo thousand people.

I dont know why DCC isnt overruled. The rights of 400000 people vs the rights of a few.......democracy in action hmm?
    if this was about gay rights and 400000 people attending a 5 day gay pride festival you can be sure DCC would be bending over backwards (no pun intended) to accommodate the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

kupus wrote: »
    He talks about gay rights and straight rights and animal rights so why cant he talk about folks going to the biggest series of concerts that this country will ever see. OR not see.

I dont know why DCC isnt overruled. The rights of 400000 people vs the rights of a few.......democracy in action hmm?
    if this was about gay rights and 400000 people attending a 5 day gay pride festival you can be sure DCC would be bending over backwards (no pun intended) to accommodate the festival.

Sure wouldn't the LGBT have their license for 5day parade sorted out months in advanced...they are on the ball ( no pun intended as you say yourself)

The whole point of democracy is to protect the few. The point of government is to protect the minority from ignorant mobs.

If the rights of these residents don't matter for this then the rights of no residents will matter in other circumstances.

Because the GB fans don't (and refuse to) understand that the residents complaints have nothing to do with GB per say. It is an ongoing dispute about years of disrespect and nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

LowOdour wrote: »
    I would hope that all GAA activities would be cancelled to facilitate any dates that might be of interest to GB...can't take any chances

The football quarter finals have to be held in Croke Park - they are part of the series of matches that the 10 year premium tickets are sold based upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Person A says:
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Absolutely despicable behaviour by those people who issued death threats against that local resident who took out the injunction.It's his constitutional right to do same if he so wishes and not have people ride roughshoud over his property rights.

Person B says:
    miju wrote: »
    And it is theirs to make their feelings known to him regardless of the level of intelligence involved.

Person B also says:
    miju wrote: »
    Can you tell me where i said its a persons constitutional right to make death threats??

Oh you cant because I never said that , yeah thought so :P:P:P:P:P

So you see Person A said it was this citizens constitutional right to object and that it was disgraceful thst he received death threats, you then also say that it is another citizens right to make his feelings known, feelings which you know to be death threats, so you did say it. You do get that right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Because the GB fans don't (and refuse to) understand that the residents complaints have nothing to do with GB per say. It is an ongoing dispute about years of disrespect and nuisance.

But yet it appears to be only a few hundred residents. There are possibly more residents in favour than against.
    A few hundred complained yet a few thousand took their free tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

70,000 people who bough tickets are foreigners and alot of the remaining 330k ticket holders will be going to multiple gigs ,so its only ~250 thousand people really.
    I'd hazard a guess that at least half of them are just jumping on the band wagon too.

But yet it appears to be only a few hundred residents. There are possibly more residents in favour than against.

So you're saying that a few hundred people don't matter? Should we care if you get stabbed to death on Grafton Street tomorrow or should we say that was only KoolKid, one person, doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

But yet it appears to be only a few hundred residents.
    and?
    They have been protesting a long time now and did nothing different this time, used their right to protest.
    There are possibly more residents in favour than against.

what free tickets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement