Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Zardoz wrote: »
    70,000 people who bough tickets are foreigners and alot of the remaining 330k ticket holders will be going to multiple gigs ,so its only ~250 thousand people really.
    Are you saying that foreigners visiting our country and spending our money count for less?
    Have you any link to figures that back up how many fans are going to multiple shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭latynova

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are you saying that foreigners visiting our country and spending our money count for less?
    Have you any link to figures that back up how many fans are going to multiple shows?

Think of all the Irish money that Garth Brooks won't be taking back to the USA for himself. That money will stay in Ireland support Irish jobs, not Girth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

latynova wrote: »
    Girth Brooks.

lol :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Think of all the Irish money that Garth Brooks won't be taking back to the USA for himself. That money will stay in Ireland support Irish jobs, not Girth Brooks.

And what of the money not coming into the country or the money going out of the country from fans who will travel from Ireland to see him. There are people more qualified than you or I putting figures on this of how much it will cost our economy.I wouldn't doubt they have taken your considerations into account when doing their calculations.

And what of the money not coming into the country or the money going out of the country from fans who will travel from Ireland to see him. There are people more qualified than you or I putting figures on this of how much it will cost our economy.I wouldn't doubt they have taken your considerations into account when doing their calculations.

You have no idea what qualifications I have. Just so you know, I hold the highest possible qualification.

• Advertisement

You have no idea what qualifications I have. Just so you know, I hold the highest possible qualification.

If your qualifications are related to Economics I would stop posting now. You are embarrassing yourself.

If your qualifications are related to Economics I would stop posting now. You are embarrassing yourself.

Says the Garth Brooks fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

miju wrote: »
    He is getting involved for one reason only and thats not because of the gigs, fans or Mr. Brooks himself.

It's because today I imagine a serious amount of business lobby groups and chambers of commerce kicked up a massive stink via the usual political channels after it became obvious at some of the staggering amounts some business were preparing to refund.

People saying they were 'embarrassed' about the whole debacle, Kenny getting involved and possibly overruling planning laws for a few concerts would be infinitely more embarrassing.

Government should be again ashamed of themselves if this happens. Getting involved in this but hiding on much, much more important things. ****ing joke if true.

Says the Garth Brooks fan.

And how does me being a fan or not help/prove your argument?

And how does me being a fan or not help/prove your argument?

I'm not answering you anymore. Anybody who thinks that hundreds of people don't matter because he/she wants to wear a stetson hat just doesn't merit my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not holding my breath on the concerts being reinstated.

the residents who objected will go nuts if any of the shows go ahead

a statement will come out in the morning dismissing any of the concerts going ahead

All this talk about doing it for the 'economy'. The normal man or woman on the street doesn't have much interest in economic figures 365 days of the year, so using it as an argument is utterly ridiculous. Been a shambles from start to finish and looks like the government intervention is going to be the shambolic cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is entertaining.

Fixed that for you...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm not answering you anymore. Anybody who thinks that hundreds of people don't matter because he/she wants to wear a stetson hat just doesn't merit my attention.

100s of people in any normal situation should matter less than 100s of 1000s of people, stetson wearing or no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Corholio wrote: »
    All this talk about doing it for the 'economy'. The normal man or woman on the street doesn't have much interest in economic figures 365 days of the year, so using it as an argument is utterly ridiculous. Been a shambles from start to finish and looks like the government intervention is going to be the shambolic cherry on top.

Yes if the man on the street isn't thinking about it 365, then it's ridiculous. Sure.

nm wrote: »
    Yes if the man on the street isn't thinking about it 365, then it's ridiculous. Sure.

It was meant as a general thinking, not an every day thinking.

100s of people in any normal situation should matter less than 100s of 1000s of people, stetson wearing or no

So a few kids with downs syndrome matter less because more kids don't have downs syndrome?

The Nazis want to kill Jews should have been allowed and accepted because there were more of them than Jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

So a few kids with downs syndrome matter less because more kids don't have downs syndrome?

The Nazis want to kill Jews should have been allowed and accepted because there were more of them than Jews?

And Godwinned. Goodnight everyone!

Seriously, stop twisting words, and resorting to facetious examples. You can't do that and then claim others don't merit your attention - your posts barely warrant mine when they consist of the likes of the above.

So by that logic if 400,000 residents complained and only a few hundred wanted to go to 5 concerts then it should be allowed?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What exactly are the 160,000 losing individually though?

A few hundred luxury spend euros (if they are depriving their children or using their dole to go to this, well then that is a whole different ballgame)

What are individual businesses losing? Hardly make or break money and we never hear a peep when they get bonus replays etc from the stadium.

A sense of perspective is needed about 'losses' here.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    And Godwinned. Goodnight everyone!

Seriously, stop twisting words, and resorting to facetious examples. You can't do that and then claim others don't merit your attention - your posts barely warrant mine when they consist of the likes of the above.

What's wrong with my examples? The poster wrote that the minority don't matter. I gave examples of minorities and asked if those minorities also don't matter, given the statement made one would assume that they don't, for that poster at least. What words were twisted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

People saying they were 'embarrassed' about the whole debacle, Kenny getting involved and possibly overruling planning laws for a few concerts would be infinitely more embarrassing.

Government should be again ashamed of themselves if this happens. Getting involved in this but hiding on much, much more important things. ****ing joke if true.

It's politics fix the "easy" high profile problems and keep hiding on the harder stuff

So by that logic if 400,000 residents complained and only a few hundred wanted to go to 5 concerts then it should be allowed?:confused:

No, it should not be allowed because the agreement was in place to protect the residents from greedy people and people who don't live in the area and who don't have to suffer the concerts. Three concerts a year. No more. End of.

No, it should not be allowed because the agreement was in place to protect the residents from greedy people and people who don't live in the area and who don't have to suffer the concerts. Three concerts a year. No more. End of.

So you want the rules to favour the minority only when it suits your argument & the majority only when it suits your argument.
    Do you feel you are making sense here?

So you want the rules to favour the minority only when it suits your argument & the majority only when it suits your argument.
    Do you feel you are making sense here?

Where are you getting that from?

Rules are put in place to protect all people, especially the vulnerable minoity. If they protect the minority they also protect the majority. In effect, the rules protect all people from each other and prevent fat cats and bullies from ruining everybody's life.

The planning laws which protect the people in Croke Park from greedy fat cats also prevent somebody from building a public toilet in your front garden. The same laws that you are objecting to also protect you. It's you who doesn't want them to apply when it suits you, e.g., this concert, but I bet if somebody were to brick up all of your windows tomorrow you wouldn't be long shouting about how they can't do that because of the planning law.

I'd have no problem with the concerts going ahead, and I said earlier I hope they do. But certainly not at the cost of illegally ignoring standing regulations and certainly not with grimy, underhanded government intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Some nice Mod Lock this 'ere thread up again till we have abit of news worth talking about.

I'd have no problem with the concerts going ahead, and I said earlier I hope they do. But certainly not at the cost of ignoring standing regulations and certainly not with grimy, underhanded government intervention.

If they go ahead they *will* be going against planning law and it *will* be a result of dodgey politics and corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Rules are put in place to protect all people, especially the vulnerable minoity. If they protect the minority they also protect the majority. In effect, the rules protect all people from each other and prevent fat cats and bullies from ruining everybody's life.

The planning laws which protect the people in Croke Park from greedy fat cats also prevent somebody from building a public toilet in your front garden. The same laws that you are objecting to also protect you. It's you who doesn't want them to apply when it suits you, e.g., this concert, but I bet if somebody were to brick up all of your windows tomorrow you wouldn't be law shouting about how they can't do that because of the planning law.

The real issue in a nutshell...well said!

• Advertisement

The planning laws which protect the people in Croke Park from greedy fat cats also prevent somebody from building a public toilet in your front garden. The same laws that you are objecting to also protect you. It's you who doesn't want them to apply when it suits you, e.g., this concert, but I bet if somebody were to brick up all of your windows tomorrow you wouldn't be long shouting about how they can't do that because of the planning law.

The fact is we live in a democracy .
    Yes the minority need to be protected when and where it is right to do so. There are also laws in place to prevent the few holding the majority to ransom. I doubt this concert will go ahead at this stage & that is a shame for the majority of the country.
    The fact is that only a few hundred people from the area objected to this (And some of those objections are the matter of a Garda fraud investigation), many others from the area campaigned in favour or it & around 400,000 people wanted to attend this event.
    I offered you 2 reverse examples one where the minority was right & the other where the majority was right.
    Honestly, if there were 400,000 residents around Dublin campaigning against this concert I'm sure you would be on here shouting about the rights of the majority & forgetting abot the minority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement