Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭latynova

KoolKid wrote: »
    The fact is we live in a democracy .
    Yes the minority need to be protected when and where it is right to do so. There are also laws in place to prevent the few holding the majority to ransom. I doubt this concert will go ahead at this stage & that is a shame for the majority of the country.
    The fact is that only a few hundred people from the area objected to this (And some of those objections are the matter of a Garda fraud investigation), many others from the area campaigned in favour or it & around 400,000 people wanted to attend this event.
    I offered you 2 reverse examples one where the minority was right & the other where the majority was right.
    Honestly, if there were 400,000 residents around Dublin campaigning against this concert I'm sure you would be on here shouting about the rights of the majority & forgetting abot the minority.

The numbers don't matter. What matters is that the rules are there to protect even one person from other people, no matter how many the other people are.

Name a law which prevent the few from holding the majority to ransom.

So, if all of your neighbourhood decided that your house should become a public toilet and only you objected, you'd be fine with that, because *more* people would be happy and *only* you would be unhappy?

So you prefer a corrupt country in which the laws don't matter and rich people can do whatever they want? Of the majority can do whatever they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The fact is we live in a democracy .
    Yes the minority need to be protected when and where it is right to do so. There are also laws in place to prevent the few holding the majority to ransom. I doubt this concert will go ahead at this stage & that is a shame for the majority of the country.
    The fact is that only a few hundred people from the area objected to this (And some of those objections are the matter of a Garda fraud investigation), many others from the area campaigned in favour or it & around 400,000 people wanted to attend this event.
    I offered you 2 reverse examples one where the minority was right & the other where the majority was right.
    Honestly, if there were 400,000 residents around Dublin campaigning against this concert I'm sure you would be on here shouting about the rights of the majority & forgetting abot the minority.

The DCC could only make a decision on the submissions made not notional ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Planning laws can never be interfered with by anyone other than those who make them. They are made by politicians and can be changed to suit politicians

That's not necessarily a good thing. Think of Liam Lawler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

latynova wrote: »
    The numbers don't matter. What matters is that the rules are there to protect even one person from other people, no matter how many the other people are.

OK lets go with that argument so.
    So lets say DCC turn around and say we have to let these concerts go ahead because the rules say we have to protect the people who want to go to this concert from the people who dont.
    Is that OK? Your protecting one person from another.

The argument of the unruly behavior, public urination , drunk and disorderly is not specific to this .That happens at many GAA matches as well. I've seen it.
    Yet the rules let those go ahead. There are laws against all that sort of behavior as well. Take photos/videos and pass on any illegal activity to the Guards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The DCC could only make a decision on the submissions made not notional ones.

Im not asking for DCC planning permission. I was asking for the posters opinion if the roles were reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭latynova

OK lets go with that argument so.
    So lets say DCC turn around and say we have to let these concerts go ahead because the rules say we have to protect the people who want to go to this concert from the people who dont.
    Is that OK? Your protecting one person from another.

The argument of the unruly behavior, public urination , drunk and disorderly is not specific to this .That happens at many GAA matches as well. I've seen it.
    Yet the rules let those go ahead. There are laws against all that sort of behavior as well. Take photos/videos and pass on any illegal activity to the Guards.

But the rules don't say that the concerts can go ahead because people have a *right* to live in peace. People don't have a *right* to go to a concert. That is what you don't understand.

There are laws protecting people from anti-social behaviour. They should be enforced at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Think of all the Irish money that Garth Brooks won't be taking back to the USA for himself. That money will stay in Ireland support Irish jobs, not Girth Brooks.

And what of the money that he creates in the irish economy, food, buses, cars, petrol, b+bs, hostels, hotels, trains, rental cars, beer, tshirts, ham sandwiches, hats, flags and headbands, cheese and onion tayto. Cds from shops remember these are simple country folk they wouldnt be up with that download sthuff.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    70,000 people who bough tickets are foreigners and alot of the remaining 330k ticket holders will be going to multiple gigs ,so its only ~250 thousand people really.
    I'd hazard a guess that at least half of them are just jumping on the band wagon too.

Yeah well those 70,000 are what are known as whales, they are high spenders that spend highly. THey rent out limos instead of your average rent a car. They buy 50,000Eur bottles of champagne instead of ordinary plonk.
    They stay in 5* hotels, and spend spend spend.

But the rules don't say that the concerts can go ahead because people have a *right* to live in peace. People don't have a *right* to go to a concert. That is what you don't understand.

There are laws protecting people from anti-social behaviour. They should be enforced at all times.

But the same rules don't say a game of football can't go ahead because people have a right to live in peace?
    No matter what disruption they cause its OK
    From experience I'd say 80,000 Garth Brooks fans would be better behaved than a Mix of 80,000 Meath & Dublin lads on the razz on a Sunday.

I agree entirely.Enforce the law & punish the Guilty, not everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

But the same rules don't say a game of football can't go ahead because people have a right to live in peace?
    From experience I'd say 80,000 Garth Brooks fans would be better behaved than a Mix of 80,000 Meath & Dublin lads on the razz on a Sunday.

There are regulations and rules governing matches too, you can't just open your doors,

I agree entirely.Enforce the law.
    The DCC have done that, others are trying to circumvent it and Brook punished all his fans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree entirely.Enforce the law & punish the Guilty, not everyone else.

If there has been 80,000 Dublin and Meath fans on the razz for 5 nights in a row, it would be a good case study. Comparing it to other things is pointless, it would be an unprecedented event, hence the thought and decision gone into it. Not only did they bypass proper planning laws for it, they also had a decision go against them from the council. People blaming residents don't see the bigger process and picture at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 669irishguy

Rejoined Boards.ie just to post this. Greedy yank singer meets arrogant Dublin residents...a match made in heaven. I personally could care less if he ever sang again, but I will say that Croke Park is paid for by a national contribution and if a few hundred residents are put out by the horror of having an economic windfall being handed to their community on top of the lavish services they already get in that part of the country compared to the rest of us (best hospitals and a fancy little tram to whisk them around dubberland city), then tough S**t. Fair enough if they will suffer disruptions, all they have to do is engage and arrangements could be made and respected. After all they are hardly going to be dealing with bloody Altamont and the Hells Angels five nights in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Those that said the guy who brought about the injunction (who yesterday then withdrew it) was bullied into submission.. will have to eat their words:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/resident-was-paid-15000-to-help-his-court-case-30420588.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Those that said the guy who brought about the injunction (who yesterday then withdrew it) was bullied into submission.. will have to eat their words:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/resident-was-paid-15000-to-help-his-court-case-30420588.html

Posting it in 2 threads doesn't improve the fact it was mentioned hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Corholio wrote: »

How can you follow two threads????

Can you link to the post in this thread in which it was mentioned already that the guy was paid to bring the injunction, as I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Not only did they bypass proper planning laws for it, they also had a decision go against them from the council. People blaming residents don't see the bigger process and picture at all.

Do explain how they bypassed these planning laws!?
    And not 2 days ago The Council voted for all five to take place did they not?
    I think this argument belongs in the other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Group of us booked City West Hotel as we wanted to make a weekend of it
    Paid 370e up front
    Contacted them yesterday - No refund
    Disgrace

City West got back on to us and paid us a full refund
    So we re-booked and got the 2 rooms for 150e instead of 370e and have the option of cancelling 24hrs before we go
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

City West got back on to us and paid us a full refund
    So we re-booked and got the 2 rooms for 150e instead of 370e and have the option of cancelling 24hrs before we go
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I know with all this on off on and dont know wheather we're coming or going I cancelled my hotel for 6 days, for €1000. And re-booked in a 3 star for 6 days in the middle of dublin city for €670. That can be cancelled again. Mighty if all 5 went ahead. I'll enjoy myself, thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did I hear right on morning ireland just there "attempts were being made to ask President Obama to assist" and that the Mexican Ambassador was willing to assist in negotiations, are they for real ??????

What ever about everything that has happened and "tarnished our reputation" even if not true the fact it was even reported has me cringing and feeling embarrassed for the country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I know with all this on off on and dont know wheather we're coming or going I cancelled my hotel for 6 days, for €1000. And re-booked in a 3 star for 6 days in the middle of dublin city for €670. That can be cancelled again. Mighty if all 5 went ahead. I'll enjoy myself, thats for sure.

The refund is due next Tuesday, how do you still think these will be going ahead???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

and we are back on the rollercoaster of this debacle!

Fresh talks will take place this morning to see whether Garth Brooks will perform at Croke Park later this month.
    It follows the intervention of the Taoiseach last night, who is urging the key players to meet and discuss a possible solution to the controversy.
    The government is said to be "keen to seek a positive outcome" given the effect the cancellations will have on tourism and the local economy.
    The Taoiseach's intervention comes after a letter written by Garth Brooks to Aiken Promotions was made public yesterday.
    In it, the country singer said he will proceed with all five concerts in Croke Park, if there's any chance ALL of the shows can be salvaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Every report I hear on the radio is making me laugh my backside off. Its getting ridiculous

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's certainly not all over yet!

This is just madness, I want my money back now, so I can turn it into a ticket for the who haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

EyesClosed wrote: »
    This is just madness, I want my money back now, so I can turn it into a ticket for the who haha
    Don't ya think we've already had enough (b)whohaha?
    Brouhaha! Geddit??
    Hello! HELLO!
    Is this thing even turned on?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Had enough now. Flights have been changed so can't be changed back. Give me back my money and I will put it into my 'holiday' jar! :cool:

The refund is due next Tuesday, how do you still think these will be going ahead???

Not saying the concerts will go ahead, but there would be nothing stopping TM from calling a halt to the refunds of whatever amount of concerts got the green light, as long as they are informed by Friday or even Monday morning I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Things are gone beyond ridiculous now, the concerts were cancelled by Aiken and the domino effect of refunds & cancellations has started. They cannot now turn around and say 'ah sure we might figure something out'. That is wholly unfair on the fans & the business community that is trying to re-organise themselves for that weekend, either by getting their money back or putting plans in place as to whether they would refund 'non-refundable' bookings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Serious kick in the teeth to people who will have cancelled hotels, travel etc though

More like a second kick in the teeth at this stage of the farce

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

calex71 wrote: »
    Did I hear right on morning ireland just there "attempts were being made to ask President Obama to assist" and that the Mexican Ambassador was willing to assist in negotiations, are they for real ??????

What ever about everything that has happened and "tarnished our reputation" even if not true the fact it was even reported has me cringing and feeling embarrassed for the country :mad:

This is Obama's golden opportunity to cement his legacy as one of the truly great American Presidents. He may not have sorted out the problems in the Middle East, he may not have lived up to his promise of closing Guantanamo Bay, but if he acts as an impartial honest broker and achieves an acceptable compromise on all sides, that will ultimately enable Garth Brooks to fulfil his five concert dates in Croke Park, then the rest of his political failings will soon be forgotten. I can even see another Nobel Peace Prize in the offing.
    Yes-we-can-obama.jpg

• Advertisement

It's a joke tbh, Aiken are just damaging themselves even more if the gigs are put back on.

Yea it's insane, I actually just want the refund now, hopefully they will allow a refund if they still put concerts on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement