Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Those that said the guy who brought about the injunction (who yesterday then withdrew it) was bullied into submission.. will have to eat their words:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/resident-was-paid-15000-to-help-his-court-case-30420588.html
    It is understood that his solicitor was not aware that Mr Duff's case was being funded by other individuals.

What is the problem with people contributing to his legal costs?
    That paper is a joke and has been for a long time. That sentence is deliberately constructed to brainwash idiots. A bit like a US senator once shouting at an illiterate bunch of rednecks ...'Did you know that he MATRICULATED in full sight of the University campus and that he is a well know THESPIAN?!!'

Nothing wrong with it, but say it the right way and it sounds bad! Fecking eejits in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

News just in: Mexican Ambassador and his fellow diplomats are currently in contact with all sides in the Garth Brooks dispute:

hire-mariachi-band-800x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Urgh!

It's gotten to the stage now where people have stopped caring about it!

Every morning when I come into work, the boss asks what's the story now with these concerts? TBH I have stopped listening to reports about it in the news and social media. Stop reporting on it until there is definite news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mr.S wrote: »
    I
    I mean FFS, on Morning Ireland this morning the people on the show wanted to get Obama in to try and convince Garth to come back, with Mexico to help negotiate?!

Please tell me that's not true ..... FFS , who are they going ask for help next ... the bleedin A Team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

RayCon wrote: »
    Please tell me that's not true ..... FFS , who are they going ask for help next ... the bleedin A Team ?

please god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

RayCon wrote: »

I pity the fool who doesn't want Garth to play 5 gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭flasher0030

please god

Maybe MacGuyver. I'm sure he could muster up some solution with his magic red penknife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I mean FFS, on Morning Ireland this morning the people on the show wanted to get Obama in to try and convince Garth to come back, with Mexico to help negotiate?!
    Those people have at least sense enough to understand that pleas to the Irish political class for effective action are likely to go unanswered. Hence the petitioning of a 'higher power' for deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

KoolKid wrote: »
    But yet it appears to be only a few hundred residents. There are possibly more residents in favour than against.
    A few hundred complained yet a few thousand took their free tickets.

Sorry, this is abject nonsense. The event licence process allows everybody to make submissions (not just objections, but also obervations- and this could include the economic reasons why the gigs should have been allowed)- all those in favour of the concerts were free to do so but it would appear they didn't. This is not just a numbers game- it wasn't the fact that 370 or so objections were received, it was the reasons for the objections that were considered.

You have subsequently wrapped yourself in knots about majority/minority rights- the fact of the matter is there is a transparent process for the public to have their views know on major events, if people don't engage during this period then they can have no argument with any decisions made.

I work for a local authority- (not a Dublin one) and know exactly how dysfunctional, reactionary and downright nonsensical they can be (i.e. I'm not defending DCC for the sake of it). I am enraged by Keegan's legacy to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown LA in the form of the monstrous new library building. In my opinion, this is one example where the LA (and Keegan in particular) is trying to do the right thing- the easy thing would have been to completely ignore the points raised by the "vocal minority" and do the expedient thing.

As a moderator, should you not be particularly careful about the content of your posts- specifically the reference to residents getting free tickets? I have not seen any confirmation of this anywhere- can you provide an actual confirmation that residents are offered free tickets?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

baaba maal wrote: »
    As a moderator, should you not be particularly careful about the content of your posts- specifically the reference to residents getting free tickets? I have not seen any confirmation of this anywhere- can you provide an actual confirmation that residents are offered free tickets?

its commom practice for venues where gigs are an exception that the local residence are provided with a number of tickets to be distributed by the residence association dealing with the promotor. Its a fair assumption this is practiced at Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kool Kid is not a moderator of this forum. He is free to post- and will be treated just like- anyone else here.

Just to be clear on that, it's a common misconception people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I have not seen any confirmation of this anywhere- can you provide an actual confirmation that residents are offered free tickets?

Are you talking specifically about Garth Brooks tickets?

If so, I can give you list in a few weeks.. should any of the concerts go ahead that is.

In the meantime, here's a list of the residents that got free tickets for the One Direction concerts:

http://www.crokepark.ie/getmedia/a4b365e8-b08b-4a24-80ad-346ace9fa931/List-of-Ticket-Recipients-for-One-Direction-May-2014.pdf

Sometimes, a few of the more hardcore element have been known to push their luck with regards to tickets mind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ahh when all else fails play the moderator card. I am not a mod of this forum therefore I am posting as a normal user.
    The free tickets issue was discussed on the radio a while back. I don't have a link to it bit I believe what I heard as it is common practice. If someone wants to deny it perhaps a link showing the free tickets were not made available would help. If I see that I will stand corrected.
    I am happy to agree with rules etc providing they are fair and abided to by all. From what we are hearing it appears DCC were happy to break their own rules and guidelines as well.
    Do as I say not as I do, is it??

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Urgh!

It's gotten to the stage now where people have stopped caring about it!

Every morning when I come into work, the boss asks what's the story now with these concerts? TBH I have stopped listening to reports about it in the news and social media. Stop reporting on it until there is definite news!

This +1

Haven't time but First world problems gif required

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Kool Kid is not a moderator of this forum. He is free to post- and will be treated just like- anyone else here.

Just to be clear on that, it's a common misconception people have.

Thanks for clarifying that- I did wonder- and apologies to KK for my error.

If so, I can give you list in a few weeks.. should any of the concerts go ahead that is.

In the meantime, here's a list of the residents that got free tickets for the One Direction concerts:

http://www.crokepark.ie/getmedia/a4b365e8-b08b-4a24-80ad-346ace9fa931/List-of-Ticket-Recipients-for-One-Direction-May-2014.pdf

Sometimes, a few of the more hardcore element have been known to push their luck with regards to tickets mind.

Where does it say 'free' there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Where does it say 'free' there?

Having a 'draw' and 'winners' does not imply people handing over money for tickets.

Having a 'draw' and 'winners' does not imply people handing over money for tickets.

Far as I know, it is a draw for the right to buy tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Complimentary tickets are also made available for concerts."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Far as I know, it is a draw for the right to buy tickets.

If it's the same as Marley, which is most likely is, they are free.

Why would there by a draw to buy tickets when all residents can buy tickets like everyone else anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's funny that several of these streets/estates are not really that close to Croke Park and the disruption, at least during GAA matches anyway, is extremely minimal from what I've seen.

my local train station and the shopping centre car park beside it is unusable when matches are on with fans from the midlands/west who park there and get the train to Drumcondra, maybe I should ask to be included in the draw for the inconvenience caused :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Id be ashamed to have been involved in this for the last couple of weeks.

All involved really should be fired/replaced.

This level of stupidity really is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

nm wrote: »
    If it's the same as Marley, which is most likely is, they are free.

Why would there by a draw to buy tickets when all residents can buy tickets like everyone else anyway?

I was a resident in the area until recently and unless something has changed in the last few months it is definitely for the right to buy tickets. The draw takes place close to the event so I guess people are usually happy enough to pay and go along to a sold out event at that point.

Liamo08 wrote: »
    I was a resident in the area until recently and unless something has changed in the last few months it is definitely for the right to buy tickets. The draw takes place close to the event so I guess people are usually happy enough to pay and go along to a sold out event at that point.

Just texted my brother who rents a house in the area and he says the same. Right to buy draw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

According to here there are free concert tickets and the right to buy for all Ireland Finals
    http://www.crokepark.ie/about/community
    Tickets and Residents Database
    Local residents within a qualifying area who have registered on the Croke Park resident’s database will be entered into a draw for free concert tickets and the option to purchase tickets for GAA All Ireland Finals. If you are registered, you will automatically be entered. If you are not registered, click here for more details.

KoolKid wrote: »
    According to here there are free concert tickets and the right to buy for all Ireland Finals
    http://www.crokepark.ie/about/community

There must have been a change in recent years, the last time I was looking to get tickets it was definitely to buy them. Might have changed a couple of years ago as I hadn't won the draw in a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Afaik it depends what RA you are with and if you are active in it.

So does that mean basically tickets are divvied out to who the RA want?

Afaik it depends what RA you are with and if you are active in it.

I hadn't heard that as far as I knew you signed up to the database and were entered into the draw once you were on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

miju wrote: »
    So does that mean basically tickets are divvied out to who the RA want?

That's how it works with Marley

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nm wrote: »
    That's how it works with Marley

Little bit of hypocrisy there to say the least then and it's not really fair how they are divvied out either (though not GAA's fault) in fairness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement