Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

miju wrote: »
    Little bit of hypocrisy there to say the least then and it's not really fair how they are divvied out either (though not GAA's fault) in fairness

That is not how it works with Croke Park, they decide who to give it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I knew a chief negotiator for a huge company and they were looking to get into a certain country. They were dealing with politicians and local resident groups (headed strangely enough by local politicians).

It was the local residents that put the kiboosh on all the dealings. 400 jobs were lost as a result, instead of the 200 jobs that were going to be slashed by the company if they went ahead with buying the ailing company.
    The company went to the country next door and subsequently set up shop and created 500 jobs.

moral of the story its better to take national interests into account instead of local parish pump politics as shown by these various resident associations headed by a guy from castleknock.
    Another way to look at this is, who benefits with these cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

kupus wrote: »
    Another way to look at this is, who benefits with these cancellations?

Some residents, and some touts.

We have so much more to gain by having the concerts, but as usual too many affected parties can only see to the tip of their nose and aren't looking at the big picture

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

but as usual too many affected parties can only see to the tip of their nose and aren't looking at the big picture
    I assume the affected parties you're referring to would be those who have purchased tickets, where the big picture is that circumventing the planning process to pander to a specific business interest is a part of Irish culture that should have been stamped out about the Tiger, rather than continued.

Or is there a different big picture that doesn't either revolve around the fictional notion that this incident will damage our international reputation or the idea that €X million will somehow be injected into the economy by a group of people spending their disposable income in one part of the country instead of another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Some residents, and some touts.

We have so much more to gain by having the concerts, but as usual too many affected parties can only see to the tip of their nose and aren't looking at the big picture

Yeah you're right. Lets scrap the planning laws altogether. Who needs em? We'll run 5 concerts a day every day for all eternity. Sure the economy will benefit so its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I assume the affected parties you're referring to would be those who have purchased tickets, where the big picture is that circumventing the planning process to pander to a specific business interest is a part of Irish culture that should have been stamped out about the Tiger, rather than continued.

Or is there a different big picture that doesn't either revolve around the fictional notion that this incident will damage our international reputation or the idea that €X million will somehow be injected into the economy by a group of people spending their disposable income in one part of the country instead of another?
    No ..the big picture is the laws surrounding major outdoor events do not make sense and need to be changed. It has been normal over the last 10 years or more to have gigs "subject to license" with the license being granted a week or so before the gig....That is a stupid idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No ..the big picture is the laws surrounding major outdoor events do not make sense and need to be changed. It has been normal over the last 10 years or more to have gigs "subject to license" with the license being granted a week or so before the gig....That is a stupid idea.

Yup, before tickets go on sale then the licence should be in place. Simple solution to a simple problem but knowing Ireland it will cost billions to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yup, before tickets go on sale then the licence should be in place. Simple solution to a simple problem but knowing Ireland it will cost billions to implement.

Another "Steering Group"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

as far as i can remember ...the planning end of the license was also due to a busybody exploiting a loophole that proved that outdoor gigs need planning permission, as a way to cancel a gig he didn't care much for. I think that complicated things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Another "Steering Group"?

No , no , no you have it all wrong. The Steering Group is only used to guide the Overseeing Committee who in turn guide the Managing Group who in turn report to the Executive Committee

Far, farrrr to little jobs for the boys if your example :P:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No , no , no you have it all wrong. The Steering Group is only used to guide the Overseeing Committee who in turn guide the Managing Group who in turn report to the Executive Committee

Far, farrrr to little jobs for the boys if your example :P:P:P:P

I took his use of the word "steering" in the cattle .... cowboy .... country music sense there lad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

the live stream has started on the website for anyone who wishes to watch them setting up the stage ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Not yet but one would imagine its the only legal method available at this stage

If thats true it's outrageous , politicians should have no hand in planning decisions , FF learned nothing from those tribunals at all it seems.

I feel sorry for anyone let down by the gigs getting cancelled but changing the law for garth brooks is a step too far :mad:

Edit: If I was the city manager I'd have my resignation later ready for when/if that happened, completely undermines him and his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not yet but one would imagine its the only legal method available at this stage

There's no way that can be passed and signed off on before Tuesday though surely.

Mr.S wrote: »

If Christy Burkes name is attached to it then I guess it is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Irish rail sent an email to say that they are holding off on refunds until they get further confirmation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

so if they've changed their minds, and DCC voted for all five to go ahead but the law doesn't allow a decision to be changed or back tracked... interesting to see how this goes now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Irish rail sent an email to say that they are holding off on refunds until they get further confirmation.......

Woo hoo

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There's no way that can be passed and signed off on before Tuesday though surely.

It's actually very easily done, you would be amazed at how quickly legislation and law can be changed in this country.
    calex71 wrote: »
    If thats true it's outrageous , politicians should have no hand in planning decisions , FF learned nothing from those tribunals at all it seems.

I feel sorry for anyone let down by the gigs getting cancelled but changing the law for garth brooks is a step too far :mad:

Edit: If I was the city manager I'd have my resignation later ready for when/if that happened, completely undermines him and his role.

Problem with the system is there is no were to appeal to , all this does is give a person / org a right to appeal to a minister to over rule a council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Woo hoo

Very tiny glimmer of hope :)

so if they've changed their minds, and DCC voted for all five to go ahead but the law doesn't allow a decision to be changed or back tracked... interesting to see how this goes now

see no evil , hear no evil ??? if theres no one to complain then theres no complaint to be made.

party a = gets gig
    party b = gets to run their gig
    party c = gets cash for community / other undertakings
    party d = gets kudos

Joking obviously but still wouldnt put it past them LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Woo hoo

Yay!!!!

Not getting my hopes up. But suddenly glad I didn't go buy myself a new laptop this week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm appalled by the actions of GB and Aiken - I don't want to go to this gig and I just want my refund. What happens if they decide to 'un-cancel' the cancelled concerts - will TM honour their refund announcement and treat this like a rescheduled gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Mother of god. Are we actually going to emergency legislate for a ****ing concert? When we wouldn't emergency legislate for mothers dying in hospitals after being refused abortions. I am disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mother of god. Are we actually going to emergency legislate for a ****ing concert? When we wouldn't emergency legislate for mothers dying in hospitals after being refused abortions. I am disgusted.

Dying mothers don't make up enough of the electorate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'm appalled by the actions of GB and Aiken - I don't want to go to this gig and I just want my refund. What happens if they decide to 'un-cancel' the cancelled concerts - will TM honour their refund announcement and treat this like a rescheduled gig?

Same as. All the goodness has been taken out of these concerts, and I just want a refund at this stage. Sick to death of hearing the name garth brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

salmocab wrote: »
    Dying mothers don't make up enough of the electorate

Exactly - same way as tenants don't (hence pandering to mortgage holder/ lack of rent control legislation) or Savers, or lots of other groups of society etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement