Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

I hope Aiken/Ticketmaster will still allow refunds after Announcing it was cancelled. I have booked a weekend away because of the cancelation..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's amazing how wound up people, who apparently couldn't care less, are getting about this.

So many keyboard warriors in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

This is epic! I have not laughed as much in years. :pac: My only worry is too much is happening today I cannot keep track, we need to bury all the newspapers and video clips in a time capsule shaped giant Stetson hat and bury it on the grounds of Croke park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'm not attending a matinee concert. Never heard of a more ridiculous thing. These shows are designed for nighttime with lighting etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I haven't cried this much in years.

Its a whole load of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't worry. You're not homeless, or haven't been bombed out of your home in Palestine or Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

What was with yer wan from RTE at Garth's very own media conference earlier. Telling him that 'everybody' in Ireland was distraught that the concerts mightn't happen. Not a mention of how it trampels all over the residents for three full weeks.

Garth: 12 days of rigging before the concert, 5 nights of concerts, 5 days of removal.

Garth: loudest most chaotic concert ever promised

Garth: no idea what the problem is over in I-ER-Land.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Listening to the set up that's involved there will be disruption for 2 weeks. What difference will another 2 days make.?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

You should probably think about the first statement for a while.

Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I am not a Garth Brooks fan. Check my other posts on this forum and you'll see the only gig I am going to this year, is Slash at the o2. So my opinion is not that of some disgruntled fan, just for the record.

You say the attitude is wrong, well I don't agree at all. Some of the reporting has made it look that way. Not a chance was Obama going to be contacted by the Government for example but I see nothing wrong with our head of Government attempting to get people to meet, knock their heads together and come up with a solution for an event which 7% of the population was due to attend and which this country would financially benefit from. Nothing at all.

Wasn't directed at you it was general comment. I've no interest in this either, but to get so worked up over a show being cancelled is crazy. Blame and media and laws aside. I've been to around 400 or so shows over the years even ended up in another country on two occasions to find the gig had been cancelled on arriving at the venue, and another two times here in ireland :pac: Granted that was before the age of smartphones and widespread internet access :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jth7

According to RTE now, he's been offered two matinees on the Saturday and Sunday, subject to his approval. After what he said in the PC though, doesn't seem that promising...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What was with yer wan from RTE at Garth's very own media conference earlier. Telling him that 'everybody' in Ireland was distraught that the concerts mightn't happen. Not a mention of how it trampels all over the residents for three full weeks.

Garth: 12 days of rigging before the concert, 5 nights of concerts, 5 days of removal.

Garth: loudest most chaotic concert ever promised

Garth: no idea what the problem is over in I-ER-Land.
    i doubt the majority of the country give a fukc about a few hundred residents being mildly put out for a few evenings to be honest.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Listening to the set up that's involved there will be disruption for 2 weeks. What difference will another 2 days make.?

Easy know you don't live there.

i doubt the majority of the country give a fukc about a few hundred residents being mildly put out for a few evenings to be honest.

It means three weeks of no sleep and constant loud noise.

It's awful that anybody would expect people to cope with that just so that they can go line dancing.

Does anybody in this country care about living in a civilized way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This country is a laughing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

So the new proposed deal is that sat and sun tix will now be matinees and mon and tues will be nights?

misslt wrote: »
    So the new proposed deal is that sat and sun tix will now be matinees and mon and tues will be nights?

Who knows at this stage. It's changing by the hour. Showing the dublin city council up as absolute muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jth7

Matinees Saturday and Sunday afternoon - presumably these are what will become of the Monday and Tuesday night shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Who's up for collaspsing this whole mess once and for all?

Garth has 3. He says 5 or nothing. The government is tripping over themselves trying to turn it into 5 and reversing the city managers decison. CM is not budging.

Let's help these people decide. Pull out from everything. Give them nothing. Cancel everything - all hotels and transport etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

It's awful that anybody would expect people to cope with that just so that they can go line dancing.

The horrors of 1st world problems lol

No they are proposing to have 2 shows each on Saturday and sunday 2pm and 8pm

I've know idea what kind of set he intended to play but you would expect a 2hr + show , I don't know many artists who would or could do that twice in a day if any :confused:

As usual an irish solution to an irish problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there a link anywhere to the number of free tickets the residents got?
    I heard a figure in a radio interview and if it's accurate it would mean a large multiple more of the residents want these shows on compared to the ones that don't.

Also there aren't enough hotel rooms to fit 4 shows into 2 days. Are they trying to kill brooks and the performers. Is it even physically possible for them to perform 2 long shows in a day. This has gone beyond farcical. It needs a stop put to it one way or another.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If I'm buying a house beside the biggest stadium in Ireland, I would have an idea of what to expect.

andy125 wrote: »
    The horrors of 1st world problems lol

The first world problem is shown by the utter selfishness of the line dancers who don't care about their fellow residents of the state; the attitude is 'as long as I can go line dancing I don't care about other people'.

Me feiners all the way.

Selfish doesn't begin to describe it.

cournioni wrote: »
    If I'm buying a house beside the biggest stadium in Ireland, I would have an idea of what to expect.

Yeah no more than 3 concerts a year , and the usually GAA fixtures as per the agreement that was in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A deal worked out between Aiken Promotions and Dublin City Council would involve two matinees on the Saturday and Sunday of the proposed Garth Brooks concert series.

The Saturday and Sunday matinees would take place between 2pm and 6pm, with the night-time concerts from 8pm to 11pm.

Final approval of the deal is need by Mr Brooks.
    He will get his money so I guess he would go for it. I expect many fans would be far from impressed, I know I wouldn't. Ticketmaster usually offer refunds for date changes or extreme time changes like this, but I think their T&Cs cover them if they do not want to.

It will be a right mess as hotels, flights, trains would have been booked for the original dates, and of course few would be left for the weekend dates.

If people are turfed out at 6pm they will be going to local pubs, where pre-late gig people will already be, so a huge amount of people about at the same time.

If offered refunds at this stage I imagine many might take it up as they want nothing to do with him and the whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh god he cancelled 3 shows himself was denied permission for 2 by the DCC as they decided that it wasn't appropriate to stage more than 3, you can't get permission for anything you want just because you have sold tickets already if they had sold tickets for 10 gigs we would still have people claiming these should have been allowed go ahead. Yes the system is a mess but that doesn't mean it should be ignored, I feel for people that are missing out but that doesn't take precedence over the right thing being done and as for this we look like a bunch of idiots to people around the world really who cares? not me I couldn't give a toss what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah no more than 3 concerts a year , and the usually GAA fixtures as per the agreement that was in place.
    That's not the agreement actually, it's 3 events per year. Big difference between a concert and an event.

Besides, agreements are always likely to change over time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement