Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I think its easier for all if its cancelled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Selfish doesn't begin to describe it.

That argument could work both ways. Many would suggest a few hundred people preventing 400,000 people having a day out and costing local businesses millions selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

A matinees show is the most ludicrous solution I have ever heard of .
    I'd imagine alot of people will hide in the toilets to see both shows.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It's like something off Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It means three weeks of no sleep and constant loud noise.

It's awful that anybody would expect people to cope with that just so that they can go line dancing.

Does anybody in this country care about living in a civilized way?
    oh give over. i lived on Clonmore Rd. for a year, there's no such thing, you can't hear anything from the stadium while there's a build on.

on the day of the gigs, like match days, you've to show your parking permit if you want to drive in, the streets are a bit busier for a few hours beforehand, and the place is swamped for about 15mins afterwards.
    that's about the height of it.

we never had anyone pissing on our wall, or "antisocial behaviour" or god knows what else some of the residents are whinging about.

you'd swear it was like Mogadishu the way some of them were going on. I'd imagine most of them would try get the GAA to stop playing matches there too if they could, such is their cranky stubborn mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

cournioni wrote: »
    That's not the agreement actually, it's 3 events per year. Big difference between a concert and an event.

Besides, agreements are always likely to change over time.

Well then its changed from 3 to 9 without anyone real consultation that seem a bit much

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It's like something off Father Ted

Someone please photoshop an image of those 2 representatives from the residents association chained to a barrier saying down with that sort of thing.
    With 400,000 waking past.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

salmocab wrote: »
    Well then its changed from 3 to 9 without anyone real consultation that seem a bit much

Nine events or nine concerts? Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

205396.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Explain the difference ?

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    He will get his money so I guess he would go for it. I expect many fans would be far from impressed, I know I wouldn't. Ticketmaster usually offer refunds for date changes or extreme time changes like this, but I think their T&Cs cover them if they do not want to.

It will be a right mess as hotels, flights, trains would have been booked for the original dates, and of course few would be left for the weekend dates.

If people are turfed out at 6pm they will be going to local pubs, where pre-late gig people will already be, so a huge amount of people about at the same time.

If offered refunds at this stage I imagine many might take it up as they want nothing to do with him and the whole debacle.
    he explicitly said earlier that the full spectacle of the shows is a nighttime performance and the matinee shows were not a runner.

also, instead of residents being "locked in their homes" for a few hours in the evenings, they're ok with being "locked in their homes" for a full day instead? :confused:

well you said events and I pointed out its Nine events this year which is a big increase on the agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

KoolKid wrote: »
    That argument could work both ways. Many would suggest a few hundred people preventing 400,000 people having a day out and costing local businesses millions selfish.

No, that would be called 'lawful'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is there a link anywhere to the number of free tickets the residents got?
    I heard a figure in a radio interview and if it's accurate it would mean a large multiple more of the residents want these shows on compared to the ones that don't.

For GAA games 250 tickets per game are allocated to the residents, that's for ALL games, including the Final. Sure gigs will be the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

This is sillyness in the extreme and the City Manager at this point needs to be sacked.

He refuses the license on the basis that there will be too much disruption and now he is going to have 160,000 moving through that area and the city over about a 12-14 hour period.

I dare say that Croke Park area wont be on lockdown but most of the Northside and City Centre will be instead :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Glad they are all going ahead but jesus what stupid solution makes all the arguments and "concerns" put forward at the start out to be pure and utter bullcrap

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No, that would be called 'lawful'.

some of the objections made during the process were falsified making the decision unsafe and 'unlawful'.

scudzilla wrote: »
    For GAA games 250 tickets per game are allocated to the residents, that's for ALL games, including the Final. Sure gigs will be the same.

I heard about a much higher figure, but even taking that it means that 1250 residents want this show on against the 300 odd who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I heard about a much higher figure, but even taking that it means that 1250 residents want this show on against the 300 odd who don't.

Here ya go, i guess it's a number that stays the same for all events

http://www.thescore.ie/who-gets-all-ireland-final-tickets-583653-Sep2012/

calex71 wrote: »
    Explain the difference ?
    A concert: A live performance of music before an audience.

An event: A thing that happens or takes place, especially one of importance. eg. Oxegen "music event of the year".

salmocab wrote: »
    well you said events and I pointed out its Nine events this year which is a big increase on the agreement
    What nine non sporting events took place in Croke Park this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Just let it go ahead and use it to address the obviously farcical licensing process.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    some of the objections made during the process were falsified making the decision unsafe and 'unlawful'.

Nobody needed to make objections for the proposed concerts not to be lawful.

What nine non sporting events took place in Croke Park this year?

Don't think I said non sporting anywhere I just said there was 9 events in Croker this year and by this I meant 9 large events that aren't GAA events

calex71 wrote: »
    Explain the difference ?
    well legal minds with far more grasp of terminology and contract law can argue it out, but:

an event may be a multiple day event.

eg:
    Electric Picnic requires 1 event licence, yet happens over 3 days.

Aiken/GAA may try argue that:

Event 1: One Direction "festival"
    Event 2: Garth Brooks musical extravaganza
    Event 3: American Football spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

The first world problem is shown by the utter selfishness of the line dancers who don't care about their fellow residents of the state; the attitude is 'as long as I can go line dancing I don't care about other people'.

Me feiners all the way.

Selfish doesn't begin to describe it.

just like the residents who dont care about the disruption caused to thousands of fans who want to go to the concerts.

also can we stop repeating the same points over and over again. the agreement was no more than 3 concerts (events) without permission. the gaa was within thier rights to seek permission for more concerts. the dcc was within thier rights to refuse, the problem lies with the system of selling tickets months in advance and then not allowing an appeal if the concerts are refused at the last min.

as for three weeks of no sleep and constant noise, please grow up. the workers building the stage are not gonna work 24/7 and the noise generated would be compabrale to any building work going on in any area of the country over the last 20 years if not even less.

fears of noise did not stop a building boom which helped this country to econmic success, fears of disruption for a small few should not prevent a mini boom which will benefit many living in that area.

even the objections raised over the disruption do not make sense, if 5 concerts equals 3 weeks disruption then 3 now and 2 later would spread the disruption over a longer periord due to setting up twice. having a matinee on 2 days would increase the disruption as there would be 160,000 pissing,vomiting fans for two days.

everyone needs to take a breath and think about the big picture. how many of the objectors would back the same objections if it was live aid? or the pope coming to visit? none, because they would be laughed at and ignored. they choose a gb concert because they thought everyone would laugh at a bunch of "line dancers". they have been fighting this battle for years apparently, so why not object to 1d? the simple reason is that this is the biggest music event to take place here for years and they thought the gaa would have to give in.

the gaa thought there was no way the dcc would stop something which generates so much money for the city. both were wrong.

make it 5 concerts, in a row, over 5 nights, then sort your petty rows out in your own time. without messing with 400,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

A concert: A live performance of music before an audience.

An event: A thing that happens or takes place, especially one of importance. eg. Oxegen "music event of the year".

This is disingenuous-some here who want the concerts to proceed, are trying to roll the three 1D concerts into being one 'event' and the 3-5 GB gigs as another. This is patently not the agreement the GAA entered into- by extending your logic, theoretically there could be 3x5 or even 3x7 concerts per year- even many of the locals in favour of the GB gigs would baulk at that. All rational discourse on this mess assumes the terms 'event' and 'concert' are interchangeable, to say otherwise is dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The RTE presenter at the live conference was the first I had heard of anyone proposing a matinee solution, then hours later it's officially proposed. What the hell went on there?

Had to laugh at Brooks at the conference earlier saying 'Just let these events go ahead and then sort out the laws afterwards' - chancer. Yes, because that's how things work Garth.

soups05 wrote: »

as for three weeks of no sleep and constant noise, please grow up. the workers building the stage are not gonna work 24/7 and the noise generated would be compabrale to any building work going on in any area of the country over the last 20 years if not even less.

That is false. The noise is awful and goes on 18+ hours a day.

Most other countris have strict anti-noise laws for the comfort of all except this backward country, which actually needs them most because of the number of people who behave without consideration for others.

baaba maal wrote: »
    This is disingenuous-some here who want the concerts to proceed, are trying to roll the three 1D concerts into being one 'event' and the 3-5 GB gigs as another. This is patently not the agreement the GAA entered into- by extending your logic, theoretically there could be 3x5 or even 3x7 concerts per year- even many of the locals in favour of the GB gigs would baulk at that. All rational discourse on this mess assumes the terms 'event' and 'concert' are interchangeable, to say otherwise is dishonest.

Is Longitude an event or three day concerts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

soups05 wrote: »

You're wrong about this. I lived in the area for a while around events going on and they work a lot later at things like this then you think. With these concerts it will be even more I imagine. It's certainly not comparable to building work, unless it was the actual building of the stadium.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement