Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

soups05 wrote: »

how many of the objectors would back the same objections if it was live aid? or the pope coming to visit? none, because they would be laughed at and ignored.

What kind of people laugh at and ignore other people's distress? Ignorant and uncivilized ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aiken/GAA may try argue that:

Event 1: One Direction "festival"
    Event 2: Garth Brooks musical extravaganza
    Event 3: American Football spectacle
    And this would make them appear even worse than now, if that is possible, the final nail in their coffin, that they deserve to lie in.

I only heard of this nonsense in a thread the other day. I had absolutely NO doubt that an "event" was a single day even in regards to croke park. I presumed they used this phrase to cover any event, such as an airshow. I believed they called it "event" to stop people trying to come up with a loophole.

But now it seems they might be using this "anti-loophole" phrase to create a new loophole.

If Aiken really thought that say 3 events could mean 15 concerts was what people had in mind then he needs to be taken into care.

(my 15 concerts is since if he thinks 5 is acceptable as 1 event then this could be 3 per year).

I have said before that it was a huge big deal at the time when U2 were granted a 3rd date in croke park, when 1 gig had taken place already that year. Back then it was fully understood that there were only supposed to be 3 concerts per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

cournioni wrote: »
    Is Longitude an event or three day concerts?

Not comparable at all, that's why I specified that in the case of GB and this debacle it was disingenuous to conflate the two terms. The likes of Longtitude, Glastonbury etc. there is an onsite residential component, with tickets sold both for single days and also for the duration of two or three days. Each of GB's shows are standalone concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So garth brooks doesn't want the matinees at all as they would compromise the quality of his shows. He's one stubborn fecker I'll give him that. Tom Pettys 'I won't back down' springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

so we have some people who claim the noise level is none existent and some who claim its 18 hours a day. are all of you living in the same area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

kona wrote: »
    Just let it go ahead and use it to address the obviously farcical licensing process.

Years and years of gigs and events and no problems, licencing worked well for everyone alike.

Sit down and ask yourself why this one didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

soups05 wrote: »
    so we have some people who claim the noise level is none existent and some who claim its 18 hours a day. are all of you living in the same area?

18 hours a day. In the area.

cournioni wrote: »
    What nine non sporting events took place in Croke Park this year?
    there were 3 1D gigs, an attempt for 5 garth gigs.

If you are going to try an call them 2 "events" then I will play along with this ludicrous game of semantics.

I was at a software presentation "event" at croke park" this year. While there I saw several other "events" taking place in other rooms which were non-sporting. I imagine I could find far more than 9, do you really want me to bother?

There were probably weddings there, as I see croke park themselves consider these to be "events" http://crokepark.ie/events/weddings

And 6 chrismas party nights, though you might call that 1 event.
    https://www.crokepark.ie/events/christmas

If event had the meaning you are making out then a promotor just needs to call his first concert "the big event",

1 D had 3 gigs this year at "the big event", and now 5 garth gigs have been added to the lineup for "the big event", there may be 20 more this year added at later dates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lukesmom wrote: »
    So garth brooks doesn't want the matinees at all as they would compromise the quality of his shows. He's one stubborn fecker I'll give him that. Tom Pettys 'I won't back down' springs to mind.

Mans got his priorities and gotta hand it to him for that and in fairness can you imagine the shows ASSUMING everyone can get in or out within 2 hours (which definitely wont happen).

In fact 80,000 people waiting outside an arena while 80,000 are exiting or in the immediate area could very much lead to a crush scenario and isnt very safe apart from the traffic and other issues.

Just nuts, sack City Manager and be done with the gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The matinee idea is ludicrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Condition 11(a) of Planning Permission Reference: 238/92) of Croke Park’s 1993 revamp - “The number of special events such as concerts, conventions or exhibitions shall not exceed three per annum.”

This is surely way out of date. There's exhibitions and conventions every month in Croker these days, they have permanent exhibitions, a dedicated exhibition space and convention facilities for rent.

I don't think the agreement is worth much anymore because the interpretation can be taken so many ways. If it were to hold true then it would mean no exhibition space in the venue. Sure you can even argue the Ethiad Skyline tours they have now is an exhibition

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rubadub wrote: »
    there were 3 1D gigs, an attempt for 5 garth gigs.

If you are going to try an call them 2 "events" then I will play along with this ludicrous game of semantics.

I was at a software presentation "event" at croke park" this year. While there I saw several other "events" taking place in other rooms which were non-sporting. I imagine I could find far more than 9, do you really want me to bother?

There were probably weddings there, as I see croke park themselves consider these to be "events" http://crokepark.ie/events/weddings

And 6 chrismas party nights, though you might call that 1 event.
    https://www.crokepark.ie/events/christmas

If event had the meaning you are making out then a promotor just needs to call his first concert "the big event",

1 D had 3 gigs this year at "the big event", and now 5 garth gigs have been added to the lineup for "the big event", there may be 20 more this year added at later dates.

Exactly! I had just posted my point that there's load of exhibitions and conventions these days that fall under the event heading. Didn't even think of weddings but then they surely count, because there's no event as special as the celebration of your love for your partner and vowing to spend your life with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

baaba maal wrote: »
    Not comparable at all, that's why I specified that in the case of GB and this debacle it was disingenuous to conflate the two terms. The likes of Longtitude, Glastonbury etc. there is an onsite residential component, with tickets sold both for single days and also for the duration of two or three days. Each of GB's shows are standalone concerts.

there is no "onsite residential component" for Longitude. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

KoolKid wrote: »
    We keep hearing this over and over, is there any link to figures that back this up.?

lol 'mon now ted ;) all the posts on the thread are enough to prove so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

FFS this just gets more farcical by the minute, they are either on, 5 concerts in 5 days or they are off. End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

I have tickets for the Monday night and at this stage would prefer my money back . Sick of this it's on it's not on.

If the matinee shows go ahead will people who bought for the Monday/Tuesday night be allowed to get a refund as it's not what I bought for ?

actually, the more i think about it, Aiken are spot on.

they're applying for an event licence.
    not 5 event licences.

doesn't that make a series of shows therefore an event?

if the concerts were separate events, why are there not separate event licences required?

maybe that's why they had no issue going ahead with organising these. that's why DCC didn't reject all 5, and allowed 3 to go ahead, which would mean 6 "events" so far this year, with another coming in the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

So the inbred hick is coming after all ....

All the spud munching line dancers will be happy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

No other country in the world would allow 160,000 tickets to be sold for a concert and then five months later, three weeks before the concerts are due to take place.. refuse to licence them for resident agreement issues which were not adhered too.

As he says: fix what caused this mess. Don't let ticketholders carry the can, this late on in the day. The fact that this country would consider sticking it to 160,000 of it's citizens, says a lot about us to be honest.

Nothing to really add after this, sums up everything.
    Sticking what? You get your money back and democracy is not held to ransom by a greedy cowboy. Can't see how any of that is a bad thing.

Less of the greedy sho1tetalk. The guy has more money now than he could ever spend in ten lifetimes. He is one of the worlds best selling artists EVER.
    He is married to one of the biggest female country artist EVER.
    Greed does not come into it.

A greedy cowboy who just told the world Ireland is the best place to visit and he loves the place so much he is putting on a comeback special that he could've had in his home town but has picked here he didn't charge 120 euro or more like every other artist that play in stadium my god he's actually help tourism and bringing money into a debt ridden country Let's get over this greedy sh*t kind of talk plz!!

Exactly in fact failte ireland should make him an ambassador just like they did with that science nerd guy who was floating around near the moon a few months ago, oh I forgot there is a small part of ireland that really detests that ireland has an agricultural outlook, and that these bogger oiks are an embarrassment for wearing check shirts and denim jeans.
    You can see it everyday on boards, anything outside of the pale is derided.

calex71 wrote: »
    Wasn't directed at you it was general comment. I've no interest in this either, but to get so worked up over a show being cancelled is crazy. Blame and media and laws aside. I've been to around 400 or so shows over the years even ended up in another country on two occasions to find the gig had been cancelled on arriving at the venue, and another two times here in ireland :pac: Granted that was before the age of smartphones and widespread internet access :D

So as a concert goer you should be on the side of concert goers? Yes? Or the reason you dont loike it, is because its country music?

i doubt the majority of the country give a fukc about a few hundred residents being mildly put out for a few evenings to be honest.

The needs of the many should always come in front of the needs of a few.
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    This country is a laughing stock
    Tell us something we dont know.

The first world problem is shown by the utter selfishness of the line dancers who don't care about their fellow residents of the state; the attitude is 'as long as I can go line dancing I don't care about other people'.

Me feiners all the way.

Selfish doesn't begin to describe it.

just as selfish as those that are looking to get it stopped?

Remember the big fuss about the pylons here on boards, and all the boggers were getting it in the neck for not wanting these poles beside them. Oh how the gnashing of the Dubcentric media was loud and clear then Well do you know what the D4 media were right. The country needs power and the rights of a few should not outweight the needs of many. just like these here shows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

lukesmom wrote: »

Its probably a physical impossibility. I can't think of any performer at that level that could do 2 concerts a day.
    And is double the disruption in one day OK for the residents??:confused:
    +1 on the ludicrous suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

lazza14 wrote: »
    So the inbred hick is coming after all ....

All the spud munching line dancers will be happy ..
    kupus wrote: »
    oh I forgot there is a small part of ireland that really detests that ireland has an agricultural outlook, and that these bogger oiks are an embarrassment for wearing check shirts and denim jeans.
    You can see it everyday on boards, anything outside of the pale is derided.

The post above me, just proves my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Since this farcical episode unfolded it's estimated that the following has happened in Ireland

Over 200 crimes have been carried out, some serious.
    More families have had their homes repossessed by banks because they couldn't afford the repayments and banks wouldn't negotiate.
    Several hundred more of our young people have emigrated because there the only future for them in Ireland is the dole queue or slave labour internships.
    Greyhound workers are still locked out of their workplace.

Meanwhile in Gaza Israeli vermin continue to bomb and murder innocent Palestinian people.

I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Red necks and bandwagon jumpers like Sinn Fein trying to gauge even more support amongst people have turned this into headline news while everything else is pretty much ignored and deemed irrelevant this is culchies version of 9/11 expressing their shock horror and outrage that concerts have quite rightly been cancelled, the oirish media have had this farce as headline news now since last week, do people actually realise how stupid we come across as a nation the laughing stock of Europe when some Yankee red neck holds the country to ransom and the sheep are up in arms like it was world war 3 on the horizon there are far far more important issues that need to be addressed, instead we're subjected to a media circus every day, death threats being issued to Owen Keegan, I personally think this man is a hero for sticking to his guns and doing his job right.

I actually really despair for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

not 5 event licences.

doesn't that make a series of shows therefore an event?

if the concerts were separate events, why are there not separate event licences required?

maybe that's why they had no issue going ahead with organising these. that's why DCC didn't reject all 5, and allowed 3 to go ahead, which would mean 6 "events" so far this year, with another coming in the Autumn.

now you area really using semantics (apologies for the Longtitude residential ref.- I was thinking of Electric Picnic and similar "big house" music weekends)

baaba maal wrote: »
    now you area really using semantics (apologies for the Longtitude residential ref.- I was thinking of Electric Picnic and similar "big house" music weekends)

well yeah, because if it ended up in court, you can be damn sure the semantics of what constitutes an "event" would be the crux of the issue.

and as pointed out earlier, many exhibitions and conferences are held in Croker Park every month, which are events too.

not 5 event licences.
    Have you read that Aiken have actually tried this as an excuse? their reputation is already disgraced without adding further insult to injury. If you have actually heard it can you give a link as I cannot find it.

I said about U2 being granted a 3rd gig before, I never heard at the time people trying to weasel out of it by calling it an event.

From 2009
    http://www.atu2.com/news/local-fury-over-u2-ticket-sales.html
    LOCAL FURY OVER U2 TICKET SALES

Dublin People, April 16, 2009

Angry Northside residents living in the vicinity of Croke Park have slammed the selling of tickets for the upcoming U2 concerts which have yet to be licensed.

Three July dates of the U2 360 tour, which will see 82,000 fans pile into Croke Park each night, were advertised and thousands of tickets have been sold without the licence being granted for the events.

While the licence request for the three dates was included in last week's planning list, residents who will be most affected by the gigs doubt that the council will reject permission for the event which is likely to generate e6.5 million in revenue.

"If they weren't sure that they would get the licence then they wouldn't have advertised the dates," said Barbara Ward of the Clonliff and District Residents' Association.

"It's a bit premature and just makes you wonder what the point is in going through the planning process for the licence in which public submissions from the public are invited.

"It's a joke and it makes a mockery of the residents who are led to believe they have a say on whether the concerts go ahead or not."

Last month, all 164,000 tickets for the two initial U2 concerts -- Friday July 24 and Saturday July 25 -- sold out in one hour prompting the band to announce a third date for July 27.

Tickets for the final Croke Park gig, which were priced e33.60, e59.80, e91.50, e131.50, went on sale on April 1.

Disgruntled residents living close to Croker believe they are being completely overlooked by both the council and the promoters.

"No one seems to realise how this extra date will impact on us," Barbara told Northside People.

"The concert will go on until all hours. It will be at least 1am before our neighbourhood settles down and we are able to get any sleep and many of residents need to get up for work the next morning."

Bill Byrne of Foster Terrace said residents were left frustrated when extra dates were added on without any consultation with locals.

"I just don't understand the logic behind this process which seems so flexible, especially when it comes to big bands and promoters who put so much pressure on the council to grant permission as the tickets have already been sold," he said.

Local councillor Emer Costello (Lab) criticised the promoter's ability to "put the cart before the horse," which she said left the council's hands tied.

"There's a lot of money riding on these gigs," she told Northside People.

"I really can't see the council rejecting the licence for these concerts for which tickets have already been sold.

"It's not as if anyone would be too keen on having to refund the 246,000 people who have bought tickets for the concerts."

In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing.

"Under the licensing regulations Croke Park are obliged to lodge a detailed event management plan to the planning authority 16 weeks in advance of any proposed event," a Dublin City Council spokesperson said.

"Submissions are accepted by the planning authority for five weeks from the date of lodgement of the event licence application.

"The application is referred for comment to a number of consultees -- Health Services Executive, An Garda Siochana and Dublin Fire Brigade, for instance. A decision to grant or refuse a licence is an executive function of the planning authority. The licence application for three concerts at Croke Park is currently under consideration by the planning authority."

The spokesperson added: "The planning regulations do not preclude a promoter from advertising or selling tickets for an event in advance of the license being issued."

A spokesperson for MCD said it had placed notices regarding the U2 concerts in the media as part of its application which it had lodged with the council.

"In addition Croke Park has raised the issue at a recent Community Liaison Committee Meeting which includes representatives from the local community and local politicians," the spokesperson continued.

"All local politicians are regular visitors to Croke Park, and like other fans will attest to the professional standards to which events are run. Large events in Croke Park are extremely important ways of stimulating the Dublin economy. It is estimated that this weekend will benefit the city with an economic stimulus of some e100 million. In recognition of the cooperation from the local community to staging concerts at Croke Park MCD have made a substantial contribution to the Community Trust Fund which has been set aside for community enhancement projects in the locality."

So nothing new here, lots of stuff ringing a bell. I heard all about this as a layperson who goes to the odd gig. The way Aiken are feigning ignorance is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Since this farcical episode unfolded it's estimated that the following has happened in Ireland

Over 200 crimes have been carried out, some serious.
    More families have had their homes repossessed by banks because they couldn't afford the repayments and banks wouldn't negotiate.
    Several hundred more of our young people have emigrated because there the only future for them in Ireland is the dole queue or slave labour internships.
    Greyhound workers are still locked out of their workplace.

Meanwhile in Gaza Israeli vermin continue to bomb and murder innocent Palestinian people.
    Plenty of threads on all those things. Why don't ya wander over there if you're so worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So much ****e spouted about 'this country' and 'we'. It's not Ireland, it's promoters chancing their arm and a City authority who don't know what they are doing from one day to the next. Can people stop throwing this cultural blanket around all embarrassment. If you want to be embarrassed fair enough, I personally think it's a load of nonsense.

The only thing even close to being embarrassed for here is the complete and utter ridiculous overstating of this event. You'd swear Brooks was in some way relevant or had some actual importance in the grand scheme of things. For politicians to even stick their neck in on this is outrageous, and if people want to be embarrassed for anything it should be that. Not this false wailing about the 'economy' suffering or how we supposedly look to the rest of the world. All bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

On the matinee idea, I really don't think it's a runner,

....but.....

the last time I saw Garth, I was at the 9pm show, there had already been a 1pm and 5pm show that same day, along with a 5pm and 9pm show the previous night! Granted it was only a 20,000 person venue.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1047150/garth-brooks-sells-out-five-la-shows

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you read that Aiken have actually tried this as an excuse? their reputation is already disgraced without adding further insult to injury. If you have actually heard it can you give a link as I cannot find it.

I said about U2 being granted a 3rd gig before, I never heard at the time people trying to weasel out of it by calling it an event.

From 2009
    http://www.atu2.com/news/local-fury-over-u2-ticket-sales.html

So nothing new here, lots of stuff ringing a bell. I heard all about this as a layperson who goes to the odd gig. The way Aiken are feigning ignorance is pathetic.

nowhere there mentions the difference between events and concerts. :confused:

in fact the article mentions getting a licence for an event, not events.

as asked earlier, is Longitude an event, or 3 seperate events?
    what about Electric Picnic?

they apply for an event licence. as this would also be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Plenty of threads on all those things. Why don't ya wander over there if you're so worried about it

I'm telling it as it is, how the fvuk is this farce deemed more important than what I've mentioned, this should not be dominating the media day in, day out its cringeworthy to the extreme and makes us a nation to be a complete and utter laughing stock, a decision was made, appealed and was overruled, that should be the end of it move the fvuk on and forget about it, instead of this media circus we're subjected to.

IIf they had any sense in the first place they would have had these concerts down the country where the majority of this Yankee red neck fans are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement