Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

batman_oh wrote: »
    Get a grip like! You clearly have little idea of what actual grief and misery is. You still have it better than most of the worlds population and almost any human that ever lived before this time. First world problems ftw!
    Wrong thread. The nitpicking gratuitous use of the term first world problems thread is on another page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I mourned and grieved all fùcking day on tuesday at the news of these gigs. News came last night that enda was intervening and more news came about today there was due to be a meeting at 12, moved to 3, then 5pm. News came as well that the croker objectors were happy for the gigs to go ahead now. Giving false hope to people. Like wtf is happening? I want my money back from the tickets I bought at this stage and I never want to step foot in the dirty kip that is dublin again until I step on fùcking plane to get out from this sh1thole of country.

Mourned and grieved...wow, what an insult to people who actually have had to morn and grieve for people.

This county will be a better place when you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Wrong thread. The nitpicking gratuitous use of the term first world problems thread is on another page.

They clearly apply to both tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

secman wrote: »
    The conditions of the planning permission almost guarantee 3 events once all usual criteria are met. There after they can apply for more but these ones are subject to more hoops to jump through, the main one being the original planning permission allowed 3 due to the stadium being in a residential area. This is also the reason why it appears as a 3 sided stadium. The authorities at the time really wanted GAA to build a big stadium on a greenfield site to avoid all the crap we are going through at the moment.

this is so incorrect i don't even know where to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I mourned and grieved all fùcking day on tuesday at the news of these gigs. News came last night that enda was intervening and more news came about today there was due to be a meeting at 12, moved to 3, then 5pm. News came as well that the croker objectors were happy for the gigs to go ahead now. Giving false hope to people. Like wtf is happening? I want my money back from the tickets I bought at this stage and I never want to step foot in the dirty kip that is dublin again until I step on fùcking plane to get out from this sh1thole of country.

You have clearly never lost a loved one, with silly comments like that. IT'S ONLY A FREAKING CONCERT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

leahyl wrote: »
    What? He's just after refusing an offer put to him after saying he'd do "anything" to make them happen. So, what makes you think they'll still go ahead?

A ridiculous offer that is no way viable. As someone who has played thousands of concerts and venues, unlike the idiots who made the offer, I'm sure GB immediately saw the problems with having a matinee and evening performance on the same day.

80k people arriving and leaving within 2hrs of each other? Litter clearup? Traffic problems with double the original estimated amount of people hitting that area around the same time? GB doing a 3hr show (essentially a 3hr gym workout if he runs about the stage as much as he used to) and then having to do the same again that evening? 6hrs of singing in one day won't be great for his voice either, even the most seasoned performers can't stand up to that. And as has been said already, it totally reduces the impact of any lights/effects/pyrotechnics they intended using as dusk fell.

It was never a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Funny how some pro-gig supporters are now citing worries about the safety of the area around Croke Park as a reason for Garth refusing to compromise. They will be worried about the local residents next.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. Garth Brooks' concerts are a private business. Why should the state sort out the mess that the managers of the private business made?

2. The people have withdrawn objections because they were terrified of the masses, who were too stupid to intelligently accept that they had the legal right to object, and that they were justified in doing so.

3. We do not know that it will never happen again, this is Ireland, after all. However, it would mean three weeks of suffering for the residents *now*. We have to respect our fellow citizens and show condsideration for them. They have already had 3 1D concerts this year. The area cannot be expected go cope with more than that.

4. Planning laws should not be circumvented. That is called corruption and we are trying to improve our international reputation on that front. Only a banana republic would ignore its own laws. That is the most awful and embarrassing aspect of all of this.
    1. What mess was made? The private business followed normal process. The DCC ambiguously rejected two of the nights, then offered an extra night, then offered that matinees should be played on two of the existing days, a farce.

2. They have a legal right to object, however the elements in the residents associations with certain agendas and vendetta's against the GAA are probably the main reason why the masses have turned on them. The tactics that some residents deployed has done the residents no favours at all in the eyes of the public.

You must remember that the GAA had set aside €500,000 for the residents along with a host of other things. How much is that between each objector?

3. Evidently, the area is expected to cope with that, the Gardai and even the DCC agree that it is capable of coping with it along with the three One Direction gigs. But again, it was a separate event by itself, one of the three agreed in that non-legally binding agreement made with the GAA.

4. How do you circumvent something so ambiguous as the DCC's decisions to approve "three, no four, no three, no four gigs in two days"?! If anything is damaging our reputation, its the stuttering DCC, they are the most embarrassing aspect of all of this, along with fraudulent objections and shady payments to bring injunctions against the gig.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OldGoat wrote: »
    Funny how some pro-gig supporters are now citing worries about the safety of the area around Croke Park as a reason for Garth refusing to compromise. They will be worried about the local residents next.
    Moving 160,000 in and out of an arena that has a capacity of 80,000 in a space of an hour or two is a safety concern. No matter what anybody says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

EyesClosed wrote: »
    You have clearly never lost a loved one, with silly comments like that. IT'S ONLY A FREAKING CONCERT

I have. Get a grip. What problem do you have with me calling it as it is? The capital is a dirty kip and Bruce Springsteen knows it too and usually avoids the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Mourned and grieved...wow, what an insult to people who actually have had to morn and grieve for people.

This county will be a better place when you're gone.

What problem do you have with me calling it as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I have. Get a grip. What problem do you have with me calling it as it is? The capital is a dirty kip and Bruce Springsteen knows it too and usually avoids the place.

Bruce "usually avoids the place"........
    Hahahaha, you've just shown everybody how badly informed you are.Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because look at what's happened in the space of a week, just by him saying "5 or nothing".

The matinee offer is a bit of a cop out, why can DCC allow 2 gigs in one day, which would he chaotic, but not 5 over 5 days?

I'm not saying they are going to happen, but if you look at the speed as which things have changed (in favour of Garth) in the past week, it's not crazy to think that they could all happen.

2x 80,000 gigs a day would cause even more trouble for residents, which is what this whole ordeal was over in the first place.

Oh I completely agree that 2 concerts in one day is madness altogether but basically what Garth is saying is "my way or the highway" and trying to make out that he's willing to do anything when that isn't true. He wants the 5 nights in a row - I doubt he'd even agree to having 2 concerts later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Oh, the irony!!!!

Seriously, you react like the above and call it "calling it as it is"?! The posters who called you on an utterly melodramatic overreaction are the ones calling it as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Didn't get to see the video conference as the work PC wouldn't allow it. But seen clips of it on the news. Brooks has trimmed down a lot since his announcement in Croke Park of the gigs, he actually looks really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Firstly it wasn't the Dublin comments I was talking about now was it??
    Secondly Bruce avoids the place??? Nope
    http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/springsteen-fed-his-hungry-heart-on-suffolk-street-last-night/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bruce Springsteen knows it too and usually avoids the place.

What is this nonsense?

Unless you mean in his day-to-day life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh totally, he's being stubborn and holding out as long as possible to get what he wants.

2 concerts later in the year wouldn't work I don't think, logistics and then croke park being booked up, what to do with the custom rig etc

Well, there's no chance of it happening so - the council won't back down I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Christy Burke speaking on morning Ireland at the minute, this guy is a moron :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I understand that you are annoyed/upset with the whole situation, but it might be a good idea to step back and consider the overall importance of this, particularly in light of you referring to yourself mourning and grieving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Terrible blow if this doesn't go ahead. Had tickets to all 5 nights. Sold the car to pay for them and hotel and transport to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Laughing stock of the planet..yet again..we should be cut off from the rest of the planet so we don't infect it. Or maybe it's to late..after all Garth brooks is walking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

There's a souvenir sticker of GB in the star paper tomorrow.

I lead a simple life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

82dgolf wrote: »
    Laughing stock of the planet..yet again..we should be cut off from the rest of the planet so we don't infect it.

Er, we're an island. The rest of the planet already had that idea. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Er, we're an island. The rest of the planet already had that idea. Lol.

See what I mean.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

There's a souvenir sticker of GB in the star paper tomorrow.

I lead a simple life.

oh goody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You actually sound a bit simple.

Granted you're probably right about Dublin being a kip lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

calex71 wrote: »
    Christy Burke speaking on morning Ireland at the minute, this guy is a moron :mad:

That is being disrespectful to morons.

What she's doing now............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

TM have extra staff in , the refunds will commence on Tue next. They are not expecting any change as there is no chance of emergency legislation and no chance of GB changing his stance.

No change since last Friday, officially cancelled.

Might as well have the Lord Mayor of Birmingham speaking about it as having Christy Burke , they both have absolutely no power in this situation.

Going forward, we should adopt a similar situation that is in the Uk, all venues are assessed and have a set number of maximum days and then nobody can ever cause a fck up like we have just had. Takes it out of promoter's, artists, stadium owners, council's, politicians hands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement